Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was listening to morning Ireland about this. All very vague for now, but unclear if this is good or bad news for the shopper. On one side, shorter delivery times, no customs, no exchange fees, etc. But on the other, smaller market so presumably smaller stock levels.

And prime is the key thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spark_tank

This is bad news. We're lucky to be benefitting from what is probably the cheapest European Amazon site at the moment. Enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭jones

Is the UK one really the cheapest though? I find the .it/.de/.es sites are generally around the same price or cheaper (maybe its just the stuff i'm ordering). I tend to order mainly from UK as i've prime and free fast delivery but i didn't think the prices were vastly different between the european sites. If anything the UK site has gotten dearer since brexit IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

I see this greatly reducing the range available to Ireland and probably increasing the cost of items. More for 3rd party sellers, than items sold directly (fully) by Amazon.

3rd party sellers who use Amazon Fulfillment have to ship their stock to an Amazon warehouse for the region/country. I don't see many small sellers shipping stock to .IE, which serves a population a fraction of the size of the .UK or .DE sites etc.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

I heard they're going to name it Amazon Treasure Island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If it filtered out the 3rd party sellers crap I'd see it as a bonus.

Probably just more comparison legwork for those who bother with the likes of camel/hagglezon.

• it’s too late, they took the Irish market for granted and now the Chinese have taken over along with the Irish finding other stores like alltricks / decathlon etc. along with trying to support the bricks and mortar who support our retail economy much more than Amazon do.

I reduced my spent with them by about 90% and cancelled my prime long ago and don’t see myself going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I wonder will we finally be able to get lithium-ion batteries for tools etc.? I've had to resort to obscure, well to me anyway, websites to get batteries delivered here. Irish retailers are a rip off because they know there's no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭smilgy

Anyone have past experience of the 10% Amazon Warehouse discount applying to mobile phones? I was checking a few nights ago, and it was being applied to some oneplus phones, but checked yesterday and it seems to have been removed..

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭ECookie13

I'd wager we will get shafted with the Irish website in terms of pricing, the ol' paddy tax.

They'll likely remove the free shipping from the UK store I'm guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A few months ago a friend of mine who works in one of Amazon's businesses in Ireland had been told that Amazon had major expansion plans in Ireland, he didn't predict the website but said that the fulfillment centre is not fully operational yet but that will change and we'll get more items on same day or next day delivery, more products etc.

So this seems to be the start of that. I think it will be good in the longrun. Hate how Amazon just lumped Ireland in with UK and forced us to pay in sterling or higher € rates.I hope they increase the range of products available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i can guarantee their prices on the IE site will be the UK price converted using their own terrible rate. Every english based business that opens in Ireland does it so I can't see amazon being any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

we won’t be any better off price wise and it it’s like the rest of Europe that doesn’t offer prime then it will be worse, I buy from the German website and €7.99 postage makes me think twice

The internet isn’t for everyone

You can't guarantee that as you don't know. Also Amazon are not an English based business. They're based in Ireland.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

A surprising number of items I've bought with Prime on .co.uk recently have shipped from France or Germany. Obviously free shipping with Prime but longer delivery times. So I don't see why Amazon.ie can't have a subset of fast moving .co.uk stock and just more slower moving lines shipped from the EU.

While they don't tell you that an item is coming from say France its fairly obvious that its not coming from the UK when the delivery times are 4 or more days.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Sorry but why do you think you can't get prime in other countries? You can but you have to take a separate subscription for it. Your sub doesn't work in other countries.

So most likely you will have option of switching your prime account to Ireland.

by prime I mean prime delivery like we get in the U.K. where you pay monthly or yearly and get unlimited deliveries

Why do you think amazon.ie won't offer prime delivery?

I didn’t say that, if you read my post it says if it’s anything like the rest of Europe then we will be worse off

Nobody knows what the strategy will be only Amazon themselves

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yes, I know and it's available in loads of countries.

Germany example below;

https://www.amazon.de/amazonprime

• Advertisement

Why would IE prices be tied to the UK ones? Each site has its own prices that reflect the competitiveness in the local market. They are setting up the Irish operation exactly because they can set higher prices here.

I don't see how this bad news and also don't think UK is the cheapest.

People just seem to react negative to change.

Why would Irish people want to feed off another countries website with a foreign currency is beyond me

Website is totally not geared to Ireland at all no

For example, Audible, which I subscribe too is totally UK centric with no focus on Irish books at all. I hope that changes.

»They are setting up the Irish operation exactly because they can set higher prices here.

i'm not sure what your point is. You start off disagreeing with me and end up agreeing that it will only result in higher prices for ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭jj880

Sounds good to me 👍. I'll flop between the 2 sites for the best deal / quickest delivery. My pal just past Muff is still taking my deliveries.

Edit: err that sounds suspect. For clarity Muff is a town on the Donegal / Derry border.

You're conflating bad currency exchange rates with price margins. Irish prices are not going to be x*UK price, as that has not been the case with any other EU site yet. Each site has its own prices, with some of them set by bots, based on local competitors' prices.

every other eu site is a much bigger market than us with more competition.

What are you saying about prime delivery then? Not sure why we'll be worse of if it's like the rest of Europe since many countries are cheaper than UK

I made a mistake, when I tried to sign up for prime Germany years ago delivery to Ireland wasn’t covered

Hands up mistake made it happens

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Hopefully this is a step towards offering a full Irish experience. Prime delivery, Luna game streaming, prime video content, live sports.

No more of this service not available crap.

Advertisement