Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If any good comes of last night maybe it's that it will finally get all these commentators to shut up about linesmen not immediately waving the flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Bayern players saw the flag for the Real winner. They could claim to have stopped too! Last night was a stitch up let’s be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If it was a stitch up then the Nacho thing wouldn't have got called.

We were treated to two great games this week, hopefully the final is another great one.

Very weird of the ref to add 5 minutes over the 9 of injury time in a stitch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf I don't get the blame for the linesman, I'm pretty sure I've seen flags raised and being ignored. The ref blowing the whistle was the actual killer.

De Ligt was just off for the Davies ball in but Müller was on from Rüdiger and De Ligt was then on from Müllers header back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Flag didn't go up until after Real's winner was already in the back of the net. And obviously it's the whistle that makes you stop anyway, not the flag.

I think the ref let the initial attack play out and then wrongly thought Real had gained control or the attack had petered out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I've no problem with the linesman flagging as soon as they think they see a violation, they're just letting the ref know there may be something that needs checking. It's entirely on the referee to not blow the whistle prematurely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

where are you getting this from? This is not the way it is. Have you not being watching football for the past couple of years?

The play goes on until the attack ends one way or another and then the linesman’ flag goes up if he thought, but wasn’t 99%~100% sure, there was an offside. You seem to be viewing it from a perception of how it was 5+ years ago.

The ref is virtually blameless. It’s almost completely on the linesman. The linesman apparently apologized aswell just to seal the deal.

• Advertisement

• I really hope we pull Sancho back from his loan so he misses the final. It's set to end the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

The flag didn't go up until the ball hit the net though for the Madrid goal. So the Bayern players couldn't have stopped because of that.

Also if its a stitch up, they would not have disallowed the original Madrid equaliser. It was just a terrible piece of officiation, unfortunately we see more and more of it each week, noting more to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

But the practice has been the opposite for a couple of years. When the ref sees the flag up, he whistles because the linesmen are only supposed to flag obvious offsides now.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Why the hell would you do that?? Surly him winning a Champions League will add significant value to his transfer if you look to off load this summer.

You bring him back, he would make like really difficult out of spite, refuse to leave, refuse loans and you're stuck paying 250k a week to another toxic waste of space to hang around OT for the next 2 years!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm assuming thats supposed to be a joke.

Otherwise it would be the most pointless, spiteful, cvntish, shoot your own foot thing to do ever. Nearly every soccer fan in the world would hate Utd for it. And every player out there not to mention the player in question. Quite possibly your own players even.

Unless of course thats the kind of club you see yourself as. But even than it would still be incredibly stupid.

• Nope. He's our player and said he wants to go anyway. He took the piss out of his club so it's time to take the piss out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

As a UTD fan I hope he goes and wins the thing, let him have 'i told ya so' moment, if it beefs up the transfer fee then all for it. Get rid and be done with him while getting some chunk in the bank for transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Far from every fan would hate United for it. Many would find it hilarious. Many more would think he deserved it after the way he's carried on.

However, United should be doing everything that helps add value to the player, so they can get good money for him.

Also, according to The Athletic, the loan deal finishes at the end of June, not May.

• June?! So we paying 75% of his wages for an extra month. No wonder we are in this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

OK, I dont know what the did. From the outside it looked like he played ok to good when he came on. And he only ever came on, was never really given a starter's chance. Then something happened maybe he acted up I dont know but basically he wasnt playing at all anymore and everyone was on about how poor his attitude was when in reality he wasnt any worse than say Rashford or Mount or Antony or any of them with the exception of maybe Garnacho. Rashford for example seems to be given 1000 chances and from what I saw he wasnt really any more dangerous than Sancho. And if Sancho was a poor outcome what would you call Mount then? And dont get me started on Antony.

But to actually fk him over would be like - what you call it? - cut your nose to spite your face sort of thing? I dont know, I wont pretend otherwise I always respected but never liked Utd so maybe I'm biased, but it would be real crap thing to do. And in all earnest biased or not, not even Utd would be that stupid and petty. At the end of the day they have to protect their financial asset too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

He's lazy, doesn't work hard enough and is constantly late for training because he stays up all night playing his xbox. His performances for United have been mediocre at best. And unlike Rashford, has never had one good spell of form that would go someway to justify his price tag. Not that I'd be opposed to them selling Rashford either.

At United, Sancho never played anywhere close to the level he was at over the two semi final matches. He never looked that fit either.

His attitude was also criticised at Dortmund before he left the first time and is the reason he stopped getting picked for England.

Antony was a terrible signing and doesn't have half the talent of Sancho. But he at least does make an effort. Mount has been injured for most of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I just want to see sancho permanently gone, so if him playing in the final and winning it with BD means it will hasten his exit then I'm all for it. He's yet another in a long list of abject failures in the transfer for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If his loan spell ends before the final then so be it, he should return to the club when the loan spell ends. Thats a given quite frankly.

If they want to extend the loan spell for another month then make a request for that, for official purposes it would have to be done anyway, he can't just stay there for another week or two without the correct paperwork.

But, if they do want to extend the loan spell, then I would want to know what's in it for United. Its leverage and I would expect United to use it.

Agree a price and make the deal permanent. Pay a fee for the extra month. A big donation to charity, who knows but there needs to be something in it for United because damn sure I don't give a **** about Jadon Sanchos feelings at this stage. He certainly doesn't give a damn about Uniteds.

It would be interesting to know how much Dortmund would pay to have Sancho available in the final. I bet it is a lot less than many people would think.

Whats the alternative, you'd rather call him back and let him sulk while paying his wages and get feck all money for him while he runs down his contract.

Not very clever.

Whatever boosts his price tag for us to get money back to reinvest in the team im all for.

Have no time for tit for tat stuff

They won't be "calling him back", the default is to return at that date.

If he returns it won't be because United called him back, it will be because the term ended and Dortmund didn't want to agree an extension.

• Yup. We hold the power in this case. If he wants to play his playstation then so be it. Him missing the final won't add or subtract to his price tag. He's only scored 3 goals and has 1 assist since his move in the league and cl. Think Antony has better stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I am no UTD supporter but I have been to a few Dortmund matches over the years and I have seen Sancho play live.

I always thought he was a good player, and UTD just did not know what to do with him.

Fair enough so, wasn't sure of that,thanks.

Dortmund will want him in the final no doubt, UTD could be cute enough here with a sale in mind.

Yup I've learnt that now tbf, wasn't sure of the circumstances. Id imagine Dortmund would want him in the final hoping he has a game like the psg first leg.

Should work in Utd's favour id imagine.

With everything going on with the club and the new hires around the club to help project it forward i would hate the lad to come back and just be a sour egg. Whatever price we can get for him at this stage id take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The player's registration can't be changed until July, so he'll be a Dortmund player until then.

• Advertisement

Reportedly the loan deal only runs until 30th June.

https://www.bvb.de/eng/News/Overview/BVB-sign-Jadon-Sancho-on-loan-until-end-of-season

Surely the registration reverts to the parent club at the end of the contracted loan agreement? If it ever leaves the parent club at all.

Maybe United can't register him for next seasons competitions until July, but thats a different matter to whether Dortmund can use him after the loan period or not.

• Oh well.

The FIFA regulations state that the minimum duration of a loan agreement, is the interval between two registration periods. The next registration window opens on July 1st, 2024.

The page you provided the link to states that Sancho's loan agreement runs until June 30th, that's consistent with the regulations.

The 2023/24 Champions League Final takes place on June 1st, which unsuprisingly falls within the time period of the loan agreement.

Perhaps in their excitement, @Grace Deafening Tour got June and July mixed up. If the final was to take place on July 1st, then Sancho would no longer be a Dortmund player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

He out there to put himself in the shop window hopefully.
    Why would anyone not want him to play in the CL final?

I hope he's the best player on the pitch for the final and we can generate some interest in the lad for the summer.
    That was the main objective of the loan

Well I know I didn't check it either, though I can assure you it was nothing to do with excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Couple of things I noted last night.

First off, what a game Laimer had. Fantastic.

Second, and the reason i tend to watch irish tv coverage for these games instead of TNT, how far up Jude Bellinghams as$ are the guys on British TV? He had poor games in the quarters and semis, yet last night you'd think he was the motm. Cringe to listen to them.

Bellingham is tired, he has been rested for the past couple of league games. He also looked wrecked towards the end of last season with Dortmund and injured himself in their second-last game, probably costing them the league title in the process.

• Just reading that games will be played on a Thursday night as well in this pointless new format. Will probably play a few in the states in a few years...

or perhaps more likely, Saudi and Qatar and Dubai etc.

Hopefully James Richardson and his mates keep their Champions League goals show for next season anyway, seems the only way to watch this thing for the group stage (league stage?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yea that is why the League cup is having trouble as there will be game weeks where it is just Champions League games and then weeks where it is the Europa and Conference League games giving them scheduling headaches, it is also why there was a call from those teams in Europe to cut out the FA Cup replays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

hard to believe there’s no post in this thread and the final is tonight.
    forum is dying a long slow death

Going to miss the game tonight and I’m raging. Hopefully dortmund can get a result.

Post edited by OwaynOTT on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Most of us are probably expecting a routine win for Real, doesn't engender much excitement.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not many folk actually follow either team so I wouldn't expect many posts in the lead up to tonights game.

I fully expect a fair few posts while the game is on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'll be cheering for Dortmund tonight but it's going to be an uphill battle for them. Real are a brilliant football side and never panic even when behind. It's a pity they are such an unlikeable team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The vast majority will be Dortmund fans tonight I reckon.

• Advertisement

this is the 7th final of the Perez era, and they’ve won all 6 previous ones. Hard to see beyond them - but love to see Dortmund pull off an upset. They’ve a bit of skill and speed on the break, so always a chance at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I checked in this thread this morning, but decided not to post as noone else seemed to be talking about it.

Really looking forward to it. Should be an open game.

Madrid will be hot favs of course, but most CL finals are tight affairs. You never know when you have likes of Sancho, Adeyemi and Fullkrug attacking. Madrid always give up chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

No PL team in it maybe. 5 of the last 6 finals had a least 1 in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

An early Dortmund goal should make things interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

a lovely bank holiday saturday as well.

it'll pick up closer to k/o.

BVB for me anyway tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement