Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

This is the issue with the save the world mentality here and in government. It's not about where we put them, it's about stopping them coming in.

Logic in any right mind would seek an emergency review of words from 1952 that apparently govern this invasion. Failing that we should be looking to emulate and learn from a fellow "rich" country with a successful model. Third and most obvious would be more deterrents like less funding (yet our government seem to be giving more). Fourth I might just stick Nigeria on the safe country list.

Answer me this, if the government bought 1k beds tomorrow to house the tented IPAs, is that problem solved? Do the IPAs stop coming in? Is the tent situation gone forever? Why are we funding the government tender to purchase private accommodation 2025-2028?

This problem doesn't end until an honest conversation (and not the Helen "honest") is had

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

how do you stop them coming in though? there's currently no way of doing this. let's say we pull out of geneva convention so they can no longer seek asylum, that's probably a couple of years down the line. where do you put the tens of thousands that come in in the meantime? and what fellow rich country has sorted this out? belgium, holland, germany, spain, italy, USA, all have similar or much worse issues with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

People with no documents should be detained first and foremost in a holding area or otherwise for processing.

Letting them into the general public is asking for trouble.

As we see from Cork prison where a fella has shown up under 27 different names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

Couldn't take pics that time I was driving.

Just spotted a single blue tent on the footpath opposite the side of the 3 arena, wasn't there earlier

people have been camping there for weeks now, don't think it's migrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Simplest short term solution involves deterrents. Add more countries to safe list and pull the rug from under their funding.

Beyond this, emulate countries doing it better than us (which is what any private industry would do), and maybe have a collective think so to why we're bending over backwards for something written in 1952. How easily would the average Nigerian make their way to Dublin back then. Both population and technology have rendered this paper as completely outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not sure if any deterrents the EU can legally provide would be enough to stem the flow.

There's one question even the Pro-Migrant brigade can't answer, and that's "Why"… Why are thousands of migrants trekking thousands of KM's to come to our little Island on the very edge of Europe?

Not in this spot they haven't, I travel up and down it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Detention in the key thing in all of this for me - or let’s say a loose detention with a check in every x days process. It’s bizarre that these folks can move around so free - it seems like they can move around more easily than EU/UK citizens can move around the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

Or else buy Shares in the company making the tents !!

• Advertisement

i'm talking about the green patch here, i jog past here a few times a week and there has been a tent or two here for a month or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Sorry yes, I forgot that perspective is never allowed on this thread and that any positive outlook should immediately be shot down for the spiteful left wing attitude that it is and we should all revert to remembering that Dublin is horrible and Ireland is a joke and every nice thing has been shat on by something to do with asylum seekers.

Duly noted — I'll fall back into line.

What a f**king joke. The country is ruined. Asylum seekers bloody everywhere. A portion of the canal walkway is closed to block tents and that's it the city is now totally f**ked and this will clearly go on forever and every space of Dublin will eventually be closed because lefty do-gooders something something something.

Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

They "@dmakc" asked you a very straight forward question(s) "Answer me this, if the government bought 1k beds tomorrow to house the tented IPAs, is that problem solved?", "Do the IPAs stop coming in?"
    This been the whole point of the crisis. People are asking these very simple questions, where does this end and how?

No matter the amount of accommodation capacity built, more will keep coming until the city centre becomes a whack a mole of tent streets appearing-disappearing.
    Our leaders only deterrent of IPA's camping around the city, fence the footpaths and canals!

People here shrugging of the canal pathway closure and go elsewhere is completely belittling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tucker2024

Lads,

Has anyone heard or seen Roderic lately.

Can we set up a where's Roderic poll

i'm not particularly pro-migrant but i'll give this one a shot

they have contacts here

we speak english

they are given food and shelter and an allowance

they can easily travel here from the UK, and there are probably 100s of 1000s of people in the UK that can legally claim asylum here

No that's not where I'm on about.

They shouldn't really be there anyway, ivana said it's inhumane to be sleeping in a tent on morning Ireland this morning.

I think word of this little goldmine on the periphery of Europe as spread. And of course our own Govt put it out on tweets.

We avoided this for a long time and I think ultimately EU countries and the UK see Ireland as Geographically a good place to shunt their excess which needs to be done to stem the rise of the far right.

i don't have the answers but it doesn't end any time soon, there will be 10s of 1000s coming every year with the current rules in place, i was just asking dmakc where he would put them until the rules are changed

There is clearly an issue at the moment. Tents around the city clearly not good. Clear the tents, move the campers, put something in place to deter further camping for now to try nip the phenomenon in the bud. Clear further tents, block if necessary until made clear that camping is pointless as tents will be moved. The immediate downside is temporary blocking of a walkway and an eyesore — not great but not the end of life as we know it. If it doesn't work, try something else and graduate the response if it becomes necessary.

Or I don't know — freak the f**k out and make sure to take the most pessimistic view and complain about any and every measure that doesn't magically fix the world overnight.

I'm sure the EU are working on the reasons why all these male migrants are coming here across many safe countries, and many with little or no English and no marketable job skills or qualifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

You know I was wondering what this post reminded me of, and then I remembered. It was Angela Merkel telling people protesting her opening the borders and allowing anyone who wanted to come into Germany in 2015. People were naturally angry and concerned, and her reaction was something along the lines of "Well, don't think about that. Think how you are so lucky. Go to a museum and look at a picture and don't worry." People then rightly derided her as out of touch; and now I think I've just spotted the Irish equivalent in the wild.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Are they going to fence off every street in the city? Is the governments big plane to deal with it put up fences? That is Mount Street and now the canal fenced off, so if there is camp in the Phoenix Park will they be fencing that off as well.

Ah, he's hiding as per usual. Do you notice he's never available for questions? When was the last time you saw him answer any questions from the likes of Michael McNamara or Carol Nolan? If he is interviewed it is just a softball interview where all questions have been vetted beforehand. More often than not, he can't even bring himself to do that, it's a short video that he does before others go on to discuss how great he is.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

He was on news at 1. It's safe to let him out to proclaim 200 men taken off street and accommodation found for them. He gets asked a direct question, but he answers something completely different, because that's the prepared script that's made for him.

They're more likely to have contacts in the UK given they're more multi-cultural and have higher levels of immigration there I'd say.

Migrants are given free Spanish/Italian etc. language courses wherever they land first.

Your 3rd point is probably more accurate… "They are given…."

Travelling here from the UK because they fear being deported…

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tucker2024

100%.

We dont have any Media back bone to question these individuals.

Roderic needs to be pressed on the issue and what are his thoughts on how this is playing out, we need his guidance now on the matter and it seems he is gone to ground.

The ship is sinking and I think Rodders has jumped off without his crew

they are more likely to have contacts in the UK, that's why the UK has so many people from different backgrounds living there. as more and more people move to ireland, it will lead to more and more people wanting to move here from their countries/families. there are millions or even billions of people in the world that would move to UK/Ireland tomorrow if they could as we are a paradise compared to most of the world.

I always thought Roderic was on a solo idealogy driven run. Can't see him standing for election again tbh. He'll head back to work with an NGO.

Yeah you're right there Marcos. I forgot that Germany is now a total sh*thole too and absolutely nobody would ever visit or live there. By every socioeconomic metric, Germany is probably one of the worst places you could ever hope to be born and is absolutely a far worse place to live in its current lefty madness multicultural state than the many monocultural paradises that are found all over the world. Indeed, prior to the present multicultural day, Germany was right up to the 1990s pretty much heaven on earth until migration and asylum seekers destroyed it. Anyone who suggests that perspective can be in any way applied in the context of issues caused there by migrants and refugees is out of touch.

But hey, the terrible and apocalyptic vista we face in Ireland now will spur the people to action and from the mass of all these complaints on Boards it is obvious that a new wave of people is ready to step forward and fix migration forever. So maybe some of the things happening now might be good in the long run as we will soon see the overthrowing of the Lefties.

Damn, sorry, that was too positive. We are doomed.

• Advertisement

Oh, and for those that were questioning whether there was another tent city in Ringsend, well there is, and in East Wall too! That didn't take long did it?

This is utterly shambolic, there's no plan and the authorities are scrambling around after being led by the nose by these individuals and their NGO enablers. Who is paying for all these tents that they are being given? The government response is being shown to be in a total mess. Trying to pay them off and then acting surprised when they take the extra money, money that you and I pay in our taxes, and then set up new camps.

I can tell you something, these are not the headlines that they want coming up to local and European elections. I can't see this ending well at all.

Advertisement