Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tarvis

Seeing the hideous barriers now placed along the canal one wonders what’s this about? The Taoiseach said very definitely today - tents are not allowed on our streets. Surely that should be enough - plant a tent and get moved on. Sealing off a wonderful amenity that is just coming into its own as the sun arrives is overkill. Is it that someone feels they have to be seen to be doing something? Surely it’s better to enforce the law, tent by tent and allow the locals to resume their enjoyment of their locality. Why add to the resentment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Use that half an hour to discover that an existing asylum claim is unnecessary to request a Dublin III transfer did you? Yes, there is an exception for unaccompanied minors with existing relatives in the State, a minority of applicants. Otherwise what I wrote is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

This is what needs to happen:

1. All new arrivals must go to one large detention centre somewhere like the Curragh. In tents. They must go there, they must not be given a choice. Refusal to go there means automatic rejection for application.
    2. Detain them there using the Army - anyone being processed should not be allowed to leave this centre unless on emergency medical grounds.
    3. Speed up the processing by a factor of 20 at least with a COVID style effort of training and hiring hundreds of assessors. This will be far cheaper for the country than the alternative.
    4. Criteria raised for acceptance as refugee - applicant must show proof they face immediate harm if they return where they came from. Simply being from Nigeria for example, would not be enough. Plenty of safe areas in Nigeria.
    5. Anyone arriving without documentation gets immediate refusal by default unless they can prove where they are from some other way. The onus should be on them to prove it beyond reasonable doubt.
    6. Only 1 appeal allowed.
    7. If rejected, immediate deportation on chartered flights. Straight from the detention centre to the airport.
    8. Strong crackdown on the human trafficking aspect - even bringing these men from Belfast down south in a taxi should be criminal offense - any cross border trips they would have to register with Irish government or face prosecution.

Do all this while putting funding and legal restrictions on the NGO's to reduce legal appeals to bare minimum. Any NGO aiding an applicant to get around these rules, providing tents in unauthorized areas or to transport them around will also be brought to court and / or de-funded.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is an exception for anyone with a relative in the state, either settled or in the process of an application of their own. They do not need to be a minor.

You also need proof of where they crossed the border - this is where the defacto requirement of the previous application comes from. And it doesn't help if they come in from the UK.

Ireland already uses the Dublin regulation where they can.

Simply being from Nigeria for example, would not be enough. Plenty of safe areas in Nigeria.

This is already not enough.

Anyone arriving without documentation gets immediate refusal by default unless they can prove where they are from some other way

Removing documentation is the first thing that happens to actually marginalised and persecuted peoples.

Strong crackdown on the human trafficking aspect - even bringing these men from Belfast down south in a taxi should be criminal offense - any cross border trips they would have to register with Irish government or face prosecution.

A criminal offence for who? For the taxi drivers? so no taxis from Strabane to Lifford anymore cause why take the risk. For the applicants? It undermines the entire point of the original convention.

I am fully aware the system is under strain and pressure at the moment and for the most part does not seem to be working as intended. The "easy solutions" put forth are what are irritating.

• Advertisement

If the argument is that the Dublin III regulation is insufficient, I completely agree, Ireland and the EU have to adopt far stricter asylum policies. It remains the case that the State uses Dublin III minimally and that the ‘legal basis’ for my comment is contained within Dublin III.

A pure reading of EU regulations and directives is never sufficient for making statements about how things work in practice. Proving where undocumented asylum seekers entered the EU is clearly incredibly difficult - where they can do so they make use of the Dublin Regulation.

Your statement came across like they weren't using it cause they didn't feel like it. They do not have a right to unilaterally just not process applications cause they have a feeling the person came from another EU state. Even knowing they came from e.g. France, is insufficient if they do not know where the person entered the EU as France will not accept them back.

Also, in general my argument would be that we should fund the system to a sufficient level to process applications as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Whatever became of the hotel boats idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

Aviva would be grand for them. Give them a Gore-tex sleeping bag, they can wash themselves from a hand basin in the jacks. On-site catering already in place. Lock all the entrances. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

The latest figures are in. Now 30k in direct provision, up 10k on March last year. 600+ arriving per week now, over 80 a day.

There's no need to worry though, Roderic has things under control. His department has pledged to deliver 14,000 state owned beds by 2028.

So, in 4 years time there'll be 14k state beds. If similar numbers keep coming up until then there'll just be the 120k that have arrived (600 per week x 52 x 4 years). The sums aren't quite adding up, are they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I shared some research in the other thread showing the factors by which IPAs chose a European country.

First up is friends and family, next comes GDP and employment rates.

They found supports played a role but not nearly so much as the other factors.

Here's that research, looking at it again and it seems faster processing times are also a significant factor.

https://www.economicsobservatory.com/asylum-seekers-in-europe-where-do-people-go-and-why

I'm not so sure the Danish punishment camps and imprisoning children would go down well with the Irish public, given our history of institutional abuse.

I'd think we're far more economically dependent on our position within the EU to not to be seen to play our part, or to push people elsewhere.

Besides if every country in the EU goes that route it's quite likely the effect will be nullified. Deterrence hasn't worked elsewhere.

I think you'll find IPAs arrived in far fewer numbers when our economy crashed.

I don't think it was anything we purposely did.

In order for the sums to add up we'd need to reject about 90% of all applicants each year, and remove all of those rejected applicants out of direct provision somehow to make way for the following years cohort.

Pity then that we only reject about 10% of applicants and deport hardly anyone at all.

Peter Casey made a great suggestion today - close down the IPO and accept applicants from the Irish embassy in London.

It's actually brilliant when you think about it. The embassy is considered Irish soil so we technically fulfilling our obligations, without actually bringing them into the island of Ireland so no need to worry about deporting failed applicants. And we get some well needed revenge on the Brits for their triumphalist attitude about migrants coming down from the North recently. Would at least bring them to the negotiating table if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If what you say is true, then surely you'd agree we need to crack down hard as soon as possible. Otherwise the pull factor will grow exponentially and we don't want that.

Already we see Irish couples putting off having children later, if at all, so many factors working against them. These arrivals are mostly younger, either already have families to bring over or will happily have more here. Net result is not hard to see.

The insistence on ‘legal principles’ certainly indicated you were interested in a discussion on the actualities and practicalities of the issue… In as far as those are the concerned, my understanding is that Ireland has effected far fewer Dublin transfers than other EU Member State, this despite Ireland being an island at the edge of the EU - what is your basis for suggesting that the State has employed the Dublin III Regulation effectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

Ireland deals with far fewer International Protection applicants than other member states and those coming in from the UK are essentially exempt from it, which I'm sure is part of it.

Whatever the ins and outs of the morals of the situation, clearly the government don't want these people here and it is not good for them. If they had an easy out to get rid of them do you not think they would use it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

really? Was the argument here that we reject 60% of asylum seekers? Now you say it's 10%??

I suggested similar to US pre clearance, across both ferries and airports in the UK.

So removing the CTA basically and going even further than normal UK to EU travel.

And an emergency unilateral declaration that we aren't accepting more asylum applications.

This would be illegal. It will not be a question of fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Even if 90% were deported instantly upon arrival, would we have enough accomodation for the 10% that qualify for asylum?

That should be the first calculation the govt should make. If we cant clear that hurdle, we cant clear any of them.

That would be roughly 2,000 people to house this year, on top of the current homeless population.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

Hmm. Common sense dictates that we need to recruit ( and train, if necessary) more staff to process IPAs. It would undoubtedly be more efficient, and cost effective, than paying for accommodation, welfare, and medical fees for these applicants.

You have to genuinely wonder why this wasn't done - oh - several years ago...

You're suggesting we break the law. You might be happy living in a country where the government ignores the law and does whatever it likes, most people don't.

It can't be changed remotely that easily. Announcing we will take no new asylum claims is illegal under Irish law and illegal under multiple international treaties we have agreed to. The only result will be a massive slapdown from the Judiciary.

This is akin to the stupid arguments from the UK about how they should withdraw from the ECHR and join the international behemoths like Belarus.

Also, Irish people should probably cop on a bit and realise that we are still dealing with a miniscule problem compared to what most of continental Europe has dealt with for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Too much like prison hulks for peoples liking.

Effected as a percentage of requests issued is the statistic I refer to, but I’d be interested in the particular statistics that you use in informing your opinion that the State has effectively used the Dublin III regulation. I certainly doubt that the Government is interested adopting the policies required to effectively reduce asylum, certainly, despite warnings from the civil service, they appear to have proceeded with policies that would, by any metric, attract asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There was an increase in processing staff numbers this year, so we can process up to 14k applications a year. However, we are expecting in excess of 20k applicants in 2024; so there is that.

Also, processing requires temporary accommodation, unless we want tents on the streets. I dont think we have temp accom for 20k applicants.

Then we need long term housing for the succesful applicants. I am not sure we have the housing for them either.

We also then need temporary housing for the rejected applicants, to host them before they leave the country. Do we have that?

• Advertisement

Its not an antiquated law, it dates from 2015.

Advertisement