Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private health insurance

Options
  • 09-05-2024 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi everyone,

My mother-in-law has handed me her private health insurance to sort for her. She's in her d70s and I didn't want to say no but I don't have private Health Insurance myself and I really find it a very Mind bogling matter to be honest. She has been with VHI for years and years and her bill this year is over €2000 which I just think is scandalous. So I tried to do compare online and oh my God the amount of different packages is confusing to say the least. She's in her Mid-seventies and what she needs is a cover that if she gets I'll, or if she injures herself That she won't be left waiting for months and months to be seen. That if she has to go to hospital that she could have a semi private room in a public hospital or in a private hospital. A couple of years ago she fell and broke her wrist and had to have surgery and was sent to Waterford regional where she was put into a public ward with men because there was nothing Else available, which I understand and that wasn't an issue but why pay out this amount of money if you're not guaranteed You'll get what you're paying for. So basically can anyone tell me the name of a plan that will cover her to be looked after if she ever needs it but not looking for a 5 star room in a private hospital. When she goes to see a consultant which isn't too often thank God, she still has to pay €150 when she gets there. Hope someone can throw light on the subject for me. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is a lot of different levels of cover.

I'm with Irish life, first cover which is the most basic. Covers private care in public hospitals. Employment perk so never really looked into it.

Then you have cover that covers some private hospitals, next level up then covers all hospitals.

Then within each level of cover you can reduce the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If you end up in a public hospital, you get bumped up "the list" for elective stuff (non emergency). There is horse trading done with public/private health providers + the consultant.

Outpatient stuff, i.e. consultant appointment can be covered by e.g. 50% by the provider.

If she has existing conditions or potentially family inheritable conditions then make sure she is covered for all of the stuff related to it and the necessary hospitals.

Pre existing conditions are covered if she has previous cover, but you might not have the treatments and tests covered for it or the consultants covered for it or the hospitals nearby covered for it.

For example I get a consultant to check something every year. I get 50% back for that. But it does not cover some of the scans he does.

It's a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Try laya precision 300 complete.. i shopped around and eventually found this after a myriad of plans. 120ish a month seems to cover most hospitals except hi tech. Make sure though you maintain her same level of cover. If she has hi tech coverage then that is a lower plan and if she ever upgrades again the waiting periods kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Don’t agree €2,000 is scandalous. Even a minor incident and that’s wiped out from an insurance point of view. Be glad of community rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2k for someone in their 70s is in the ball park. This is insurance, someone in their 70s is high risk vs children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Health insurance is community-rated in Ireland.

The premium does not depend on age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sylvinias

There is a site that allows you compare plans across companies. I found it really useful and it's saved me around €1200 on my old VHI "Plan B With Options".

I can't post links but search for "HIA Health Insurance Comparison Tool"

Advertisement