Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

you seem to have to sign up for everything to get that- tv and mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Switched to Pure Telecom last week and was told I'd be receiving a fritzbox and there would be no break in service, VF would simply stop and I'd plug in the fritzbox and service would resume.

First i received a cheap huawei router instead of the fritzbox but thought I'd let that slide as I'm sure it'll be OK. Then this morning I wake to find no Internet on my VF router and an email from them saying service cancelled as of this morning. No problem I thought, just plug in the Pure router. No service on the Pure router, called support to be told my Pure service is not due to be activated until tomorrow 6pm. Pissed off as had day sorted watching the football on nowtv.

EDIT: Pure support got the service activated so fair play to them and their customer services.

Post edited by PCDub on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Have a backup 48 sim in a 4g modem so have just bought the 12.99 plan. Signal can be pretty bad here but hopefully it'll do for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vayer57

Finding the best broadband switch deals can depend on various factors such as your location, the type of broadband you're interested in (e.g., fiber optic, cable, DSL), your budget, and any specific features or speeds you require. Here's a general approach to finding good broadband switch deals:

1. Compare Providers: Look at different broadband providers in your area to see what deals they offer. Websites like comparison sites or broadband provider websites themselves can help you compare packages easily.
    2. Consider Speeds: Determine what internet speed you need based on your usage habits. If you're a heavy streamer or gamer, you might want faster speeds, while lighter users might be fine with slower connections.
    3. Check Contract Lengths: Some deals may require you to commit to a contract for a certain period. Make sure you're comfortable with the length of the contract and any penalties for early termination.
    4. Bundle Deals: Some providers offer bundle deals that include broadband, TV, and phone services. If you need these additional services, bundling them together might save you money.
    5. Promotions and Discounts: Keep an eye out for promotions, discounts, or cashback offers that providers may be offering for new customers. These can significantly reduce your initial costs.
    6. Read Reviews: Before committing to a provider, read reviews from other customers to get an idea of their service quality and reliability.
    7. Negotiate: Don't be afraid to negotiate with providers, especially if you're an existing customer looking to switch. They may offer you a better deal to keep your business.
    8. Check for Hidden Costs: Make sure to read the fine print and check for any hidden costs such as installation fees, equipment charges, or price increases after an introductory period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They give the Huawei router to 500 meg customers, it's actually a good router it's belting away here not a bother on it, certainly better than the VM yoke I had, I had that on a timer socket to reboot weekly or the speed dropped to single figures. Pity you got off to a bad start, I'm very happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

They sent me the Huawei for my 1gb line, doesn't go live till next week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It is WiFi 6, haven't a clue of the model number, it works perfectly.

Strange 🤔. They told me the fritzbox was for 1 gig connections.

• Advertisement

Up and running now. Pure support rang to say all was setup and to check it was working. Impressive customer support. I asked them about the fritzbox and they said that as the current one didn't support wifi6 and the new fritzbox that does has a much higher price they have switched to the huawei. So looks like huawei for all connection. It does seem to be providing much better coverage in the house compared to the VF router.

Huawei model LG8245X6-10

Post edited by PCDub on

Brilliant, I'm very impressed with the service and the router, I just changed the WiFi to the old VM SSID and password and everything connected perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Lads, the fibre install guys have just left a few hours ago and I am still without broadband. You could not make this sh1t up.

When they were spanning the cable across to my house they realised the new cable was actually damaged and they could not proceed with the install. A new cable has to go on the pole before work can be recommenced. The two guys were very apologetic and showed me the cable and it was in a dire condition. Absolutely shoddy work from whoever installed it. There was tape over the shredded area of cable they had hoped nobody would notice.

The two of them were not very complimentary of the ESB and the promptness of their work. I've rang and logged a complaint not that it will make any amount of difference. I'd taken time off work AGAIN for this install and still no internet. I've holes drilled and bits attached to the side of my house now too as they were in the middle of an install so I have to just stick with it now.

I know lads are probably sick of me posting here at this stage but I need somewhere to vent. 2024 in a town and waiting this long for internet. Utter madness!

Now that would do my head in, absolutely dreadful behaviour. You really aren't getting any luck with this install 🤬🤬

I was so excited when they pulled into the drive earlier and all! Silly me for having hope. Back to hot-spotting off my poor phone! Hoping there's a quick cable change and install but I wouldn't hold my breath! Thank you for letting me vent! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

I'm far from impressed by Pure also. Almost a month into my contract with them and still no landline. My internet speed was increased only today to what my last provider was supplying.

While their CS might be better than most, it's still quite poor, although you do get through fairly quickly on the phone and they all speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Switched to Vodafone today on NBI. Got 6 months at €25 and 6 months @ €40. Only available over the phone apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭nhg

After reading the comments above I was very nervous about our FTTH install by OpenEir for Pure…

Well I needed have been… The booking was for between 12 & 5, got a call from the engineer to see if I was home at 11 & he arrived around 11.30.

1st asked me who the broadband provider was & when I told him Pure he said that they are not allowed to do any civil works for Pure connections, I thought ‘oh no’ here we go….

After surveying the whole situation, he rang his supervisor who gave him permission to do anything that he need to do, he decided that he would possibly have to dig a narrow trench (by hand) through the lawn to the pole (didn’t have to in the end), dug a hole at the edge of the flower bed & found the ducting at that point, once he detected the point where the cable entered the house, he dug down through the path & found the ducting there. He then chanced pulling the cable through the ducting from the points he opened…

His colleague arrived later with a hoist to bring the cable across the road, he wasn’t happy with the pole straight across the road (it’s very old), so linked from the next poll up to the one straight across the road, to the pole at the end of our garden.

Such a neat job & can’t get over the difference in the using the PC’s & devices… I know nothing about speeds but my son who is an online gamer is impressed…

Pure delivered everything they promised in the sales pitch (except the FritzBox - got a Huawei model LG8245X6-10) so far… They even cancelled our Sky broadband service which didn’t cease until we were up & running for about 2 hrs….

I have emailed Circet (engineers employer) to compliment him & his work, I don’t know his name but I do have the number of his van.

Post edited by nhg on

Getting through to them quickly on the phone definitely alleviates the anger levels for sure but having to be on the phone to them so many times is not a good reflection either.

No contact from them since I called on Thursday. I'll be onto them on Monday again more than likely. 🙄

Great to hear. Lovely to hear a positive outcome.

I really feel in some instances that the delays involved with a fibre install often depend on the individual you get. My engineers were nice but not willing to go near the work the ESB had completed (badly). They called their manager to ask could they continue on with the install as the actual damaged cable was working but he told them to stop the work as the service could not be guaranteed. Every situation/engineer/manager is different I suppose.

• Advertisement

Well, in fairness to Pure what's after happening to you is really out of their hands, there'd have been an all out strike in the ESB had those lads touched the cable, such a pity as they sounded like decent lads who just wanted to get you connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Most providers have similar prices and all is grand until they feck up something.

Im with Vodafone,have fibre 500MB 30/6+40/6 and my internet suddenly stopped on friday out of nowhere in co.Galway 😂

Only way to contact them was on Twitter and tech support doesnt work weekends 🫣

Post edited by bigboss1986 on

Next door neighbour has vowed never ever to have VF anywhere near his house because of exactly that carry on. He's with VM now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

need suggestion from everyone who got EIr Fibre.

i had a lad at the door selling Eir Fibre 45 euros for 2 years for 1gb with off peak calls.

i currently have virgin 1gb at 50 euros expiring in july.

i was only interested in eir fibre because the guy said eir will install all the wiring etc and it will be forever and i can switch with other providers.

now my problem is - current virgin coaxial goes from outside box to my attic where my virgin router is placed. from there all my home cat6 runs. this was done during house construction

i dont think the eir engineer can run fibre to attic from outside. would you agree from experience?

i cant keep the eir modem in the ground floor as it will mess up all my current setup. just seeking suggestion from experience. i have booked the installation for now in 2 weeks time. will discuss with engineer but i guess its not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Raoul

I would say it is very much dependent on who you get as an engineer. You might get lucky and the engineer will do it.

Is the VF you have now using the VM coax? Can you run a cable down from the attic to connect to the newly installed Eir modem that will be on the wall and put the Eir router in the attic on the other end? I have the router under the stairs with a good quality cable between it and the open Eir modem. (The powered box on the wall I'm calling the modem)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Had to cancel my Pure contract this morning, the underground duct has collapsed some where down the road apparently and they cannot say how long to fix it, I had a 12 month half price offer from Virgin Media on the back burner which I took before it ran out.

Try again next year hopefully :)

No point unless you see them digging up the duct for somebody else, that's the major drawback to underground systems unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

sorry i dont have VF. its just virgin coax.

the previous coax was sent up during construction criss crossing between the timbers over 2 floors. i cant run it the same way now. only way is to run from outside and drill a hole in the attic room. unless there is some technology to convert coaxial to fibre and use existing wiring (which i doubt)

• Advertisement

Sorry I misread your post completely 🤔. Without seeing your layout it's hard to know. Do you know where the twisted pair phone line entered the house originally? I think I read in the T&C's that they won't go into the attic. They will use the old phone line as the point of entry. With some of my neighbours they couldn't find the phone line inside the house so they found it outside and drilled a new entry point, maybe the installer might run the fibre up the wall for you, as others have already said it really depends on who you get on the day.

Advertisement