Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

There is no one here having a go at young players and anyone that says that is wrong. The main problem with this minor set up is that there is no one involved that has been with any of their clubs at this age group level all the way back to when they started in Development Squads from u-14/U-15. This then means that this management team have not seen this panel of 32 in action properly for their clubs or with Development Squads over the past few years. They then do not know their best players and their best positions and this is the problem. All the panel of 32 players are excellent hurlers but I dont think they have been given the best chance to shine so far. Hopefully that will change and they will win on Saturday and get back to what they can do.

The minor manager and selectors for 2025 should be appointed in July this year so they can watch league and championship matches in July/August and September. The problem with appointing someone in October is all the trials are held in muck, rain and bitter conditions and you dont get the best out of all players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Any update on injured senior players ahead of the match with Carlow on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Haven't heard anything but realistically that match should be one where a lot of players who have been on the bench get a run and anyone nursing injuries shouldn't be anywhere to be seen. I know Carlow have been relatively competitive and you can't just play a whole fifteen of inexperienced players because it can backfire, but we need to keep the powder dry, leinster has now turned into a very unpredictable championship and we don't want to be caught out by Dublin or Wexford because we sustained any more key injuries.

Agreed. We do need to perfect our game plan, therefore not too much experimenting. Carlow put it up to Galway, in Galway. Mullally will have them bouncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wexilad

Was wondering the same myself . Although I’m from Wexford myself I listened every week always found it a good podcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Seen something online that they havent the personnel at the moment but hope to be back later in the year which is dissapointing considering they have podcasts for alot of other sports in carlow aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Thanks. That's a shame, was well worth a listen. I know there's lots of podcasts out there on the intercounty Championship but hopefully they'll be back in operation come the club season.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

I wonder how the Comer chaps are on the panel then.
    It couldn’t be something ridiculous like that they are worth their place, could it??

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I don't understand all this petty talk about where lads are from on a minor team at all. surely it's very possible that 1 club can have a very strong evenly matched team without having a stand out player good enough for the county panel. And conversely surely another club can have a few outstanding hurlers and some very weak ones so therefore don't win much but have those excellent lads capable of making a county panel?.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

There has been a bit of an "anti-Comer" sentiment on here before so there's no surprise really 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jamesbond2022

I think if the minors had won all there games after the Galway match there wouldn’t be any issue about what clubs young lads are from

Lads lose the plot on here when a team loses a few games

It’s worth remembering that minors are young lads and have a lot of other things going on in life never mind the pressure from parents family etc of representing there county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

I agree, the best players are in the panel. But the issue i have with this u17 competition is that trials took place last October/November. At the ages 15/16/17 players can progress so quickly. There is surely a few players who have come to life the last few months who are possible missing out now who could improve the team. Its an awful pity players cant go back to the clubs for 2 full rounds of fixtures.

Correct. The County Board should review the selectors wages though!

Kilkenny qualified directly for the under 20 Leinster Semi final and have to travel to Tullamore to play Offaly at home who won a quarter final yesterday in Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

I said it before they hit a ball. I don't feel anyone is having a crack at any player. They are saying how a good few people feel outside this forum too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

When did they last play at this grade ? Are they taking it in turns. This will be a good match. I see Dan Ravenhill was not playing yesterday evening. Is he out injured ?

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ironically this exact thing affected comer down the years under Cody: always had a good senior team but with very few stand out players good enough to nail down a place with kk at senior. Conversely a team could have a few really standout players but then have a bit of a tail on the team (like carrickshock in the Cody era)

A club being successful, especially at minor, doesn't translate into county players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Huge match for mark dowling against a very good offally team who will have a big home support,absolutely no room for error. Screeney lighting it up the tussle against him and jeff neary should be very good. Neary is a excellent hurler and should make the step up. Dan ravenhill gone for the year with offally with a serious hamstring injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sir Chaz

Weird that Kilkenny don't get home advantage in that U20 game. Offaly will be good but Kilkenny should be too strong hopefully. Ravenhill will be a big loss.

• Advertisement

Possible home/away arrangement. The only explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

Bruce in the park Sunday, I'm guessing the pitch won't be ready by Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yeah heard grade 3 hamstring tear for Ravenhill, apparently terrible player management by u20 and Senior management, played round robin game v Galway in u20 and clearly wasn't fit and it wasn't a knock out game, will be some experience for your lads next week, could be over 10 thousand at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

If Ravenhill was playing, it would have been a tough ask to beat this seriously talented Offaly team.

I think it’s advantage to Kilkenny now that he is out injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Is the KK minor game vs Kildare tonight knock out?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Team out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

I expect Changes to that before throw-in otherwise im slightly disappointed in how conservative that line-up is. Would like to have seen Tallis given this match and a start for Molloy and a start for one of Dunne, Drennan or Shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Hopefully the changes you have mentioned will be made as I think we need to be using the panel more as a few more injuries and the lads that are out being out for much longer or not getting back at all and were down to the bare bones

• Advertisement

Dunne and Shine have an under 20 semi final on Wednesday next, no point in risking them.

Advertisement