Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd hope the IRFU would sanction us a NIQ prop as a stop gap for 2 seasons.

It's easy but overly simplistic for them to look at how long we've had Ala'alatoa for and not developed a replacement as it only tells a fraction of the picture.

Leinster have been quite good at developing props in the last decade with players who have multiple senior caps for Leinster at every other province (Munster - Salanoa (3 apps), Loughman (5), Connacht - Dooley (104), Aungier (5), Lasisi (2), Ulster - Moore (58))

That doesn't even account for all the other props who played underage or had sub academy experience with Leinster such as Eric O'Sullivan, Jordan Duggan, Sam Illo, Ronan Foxe, George Hadden and probably a few others I missed.

That doesn't even include Leinster centurion and 6 Ireland caps Ed Byrne who is going abroad.

All the while we have 2 prodigious talents developing nicely in McCarthy and Boyle as well as 2 solid operators who are exceeding expectations in Milne and Clarkson all vying for minutes behind 3 of the greatest players Leinster have ever seen in Furlong, Porter and Healy.

Without trawling through archives I'd wager that the amount of Ireland games of note and consequence over the last decade that didn't include a current Leinster squad member (also developed by us) starting would be less than 10.

What I'm getting at is the calibre of props in this country under 30 is excellent with a huge amount of them coming from Leinster. We develop players very effectively to the point some need to ply their trade elsewhere to clear our logjam.

So blocking a signing for similar reasons that Pienaar wasn't resigned with Ulster would be detrimental and inaccurate.

Ditto blocking it due to the reasons of "too many NIQs" is also inaccurate.

It has been a fallow 3 seasons or so of senior THs coming through with Clarkson the only standout and even he has been a slow burner so far (although undeniably improving)

EDIT: and as I type it all I didn't see the news that Healy signs on for an incredible 19th season!!

While I'm not convinced that solves our TH problem. It certainly helps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Strong team as expected…

Still no sign of Ringrose, Ryan or Keenan though.

Great to see Connors back in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well no pissing around with that team. Think it is badly needed after they looked so rusty against NH.

Good to see Tommy O'Brien back. Had really been holding hope we might have seen at least Ringrose back for this, but not to be.

With that selection, at home and with the need for a result nothing less than 5 points is acceptable.

Ospreys Team

• Advertisement

I have a feeling this will be one of those games that's done and dusted by half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Tough on Deegan to be dropped entirely, right after signing a new deal

Contracts were only 'announced' recently - they weren't being announced as they were signed

Deegan signed his back in November apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hopefully one of Keenan, Ryan or Ringrose makes it back for next weekend.

I've a slight concern about Joe McCarthy as well. Took a bad knock against Northampton last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

While the Independent says that the IRFU aren't allowing Leinster to sign a NIQ Prop, they are playing a very dangerous game with Leinster and Ireland. If Furlong gets injured, Leinster don't have an international level TH available. Porter could shift over but that affects the Irish team. Healy could switch over but is coming towards the end of his career and has picked up numerous injuries. Tom Clarkson isn't ready yet but is making steady process, Rory McGuire is too inexperienced and Paddy McCarthy hasn't enough caps under his belt yet.

If Leinster came to the IRFU and said that Taniela Tupou is ready to come to Leinster on a two year deal that would give McGuire, Clarkson and McCarthy additional time to grow, I'd struggle to see the IRFU refuse that, they would probably try and make it a one year deal like with RG Snyman so Tupou wouldn't obstruct up and coming players but would see them probably saying yes, especially if Leinster were to win the Champions cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

I don't think the Irish Independent is the most credible source for that rumour to be believed for now. They've gotten plenty wrong in recent months.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd agree and I'd prefer if they didn't sign him even if he became available.

What is required is a good quality scrummaging TH that can be involved in ~20 games a season.

That isn't Tupou, based on his recent profile nor is he likely to become that.

Find a decent South African or Georgian and pick them up for half the money.

I'm not saying Tupou is happening I was using it as an example of Leinster making an approach to the IRFU. If a suitable candidate who is Non Irish qualified became available and it gave sufficient breathing room to the Leinster TH to develop at a more controlled pace, I'd find it very difficult to believe that the IRFU would not consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

it also means that we’ll be sending a second string to Belfast next week

I just find it very hard to believe that the IRFU don't have enough foresight in seeing that if even one injury was to happen to Leinster on the Tight head side, they are left extraordinarily thin for the season.

We have joked about it in the past, but if that avenue is truly closed off for Leinster in regards to a NIQ TH, they could do significantly worse than Marty Moore. I know people are going to say that he butts heads with Leo but at this stage, a experienced scrum technician who is Irish Qualified might have to do.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Healy,

McKee,

Allatoa

Maloney/jenkins

Deeny

Deegan

Penny

Conan

Luke McGrath

Harry Byrne

Russel

Ngatai

Ringrose (hopefully)

Tommy O’Brien

Jimmy O’Brien

Not a bad side

Thought Leo had said post the Northampton game he'd be selecting strong sides for the next couple of weeks.

We'll see I guess. I'm not 100% convinced, I think at least everyone on the bench tomorrow is likely to start next week.

There are quotes out there from Leo post the announcement today that sound quite positive that all three of Ringrose, Ryan and Keenan will return before the end of the season:

"They're going pretty good," Cullen said of his injured co-captains and Keenan.

"Again Garry [Ringrose], as I said to you last week, I thought he would have been involved last week, but again he just had a bit of a setback during the course of the week. We’ll see how that settles down really. I don’t think it is anything major. He got to the stage where he was very close to playing.

"Hugo [Keenan] hadn’t quite done enough, but he’s back running fully now. Hopefully he’s pretty close.

"Similar with James [Ryan], he’s pretty close now as well. It’s down to what is the exact right game to put them into.

"It’s not this week, but I think hopefully we’ll see a few of them in action next week. We’ll see, it’s day-by-day."

• Advertisement

They've been positive enough with Ringrose and Keenan to name them in teams and they still haven't played so consider me skeptical.

Ryan back would be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I wouldnt expect Leo to say anything different, even if they knew they were guaranteed to be out.

No reason to give Toulouse a clear idea of who they need to prepare for.

Even if none of the three play next week I dont believe Leinster will rule them out for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'm a bit surprised Jimmy O'Brien isn't at fullback. If they selected him there for the next two weeks he could be good to go against Toulouse. Like others I'm a bit concerned about Frawley's lack of zippiness when covering in defence against top sides with dangerous attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

In fairness to FrannoFan, that is a reasonably strong team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sounds like the 'week too early' stuff that accompanied Furlong being out for months on end.

I think it's time Milne and Clarkson stepped up and they'll need proper game time for that. Same with Boyle who needs at least 10 games and some starts next season.

I think all three got decent game time this year.

Boyle got 9 games and 6 starts so far this season (371 mins), Clarkson got 13 games, 9 starts (475 mins) and Milne got 7 games, 1 start (217 mins), but Milne was injured for the first half of the year. Paddy McCarthy got 4 appearances off the bench too early in the year and then was injured for a good chunk shortly afterwards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

For me they're on course to be regular bench options then and should be able to start when the internationals are rested. There's no accounting for injuries but the next level of prop has to.be able to step in then. I've no real concern over the succession plan at LH as it stands, and Healy should probably be the TH stopgap for a season.

Agreed at LHP, but think even with Healy switching over to THP (and worth noting we didn't use him there at all this season, while using him in 7 games there last season), we're still a player short there.

We haven't gotten big minutes out of Furlong in years, so less likely than ever to believe we'll get it next year as he turns 32 in November). We're still a THP short.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I suppose it's fingers crossed with Clarkson/McGuire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It makes me wonder if we could see Leinster do something like Toulouse did with Blair Kinghorn if Furlong did get injured next season.

I've read speculation that the IRFU no longer allow injury jokers, so maybe it wouldn't be a runner. Also I suppose tightheads at other clubs being cup-tied could come into it. I don't know if, for example, Ntlabakanye for the Lions or Koch for the Sharks playing in the Challenge Cup would bar them from turning out for Leinster in the Champions Cup.

Advertisement