Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That is excellent news, at last!

I don't think there has been a specific thread about next gen ticketing, there have been various threads where people have asked about paying by mobile phone, etc. and we have discussed it, but not really the same.

As it becomes more real, it is probably definitely worth creating one as it will likely generate a lot of conversation once it starts to roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

There's also some on Ballygall Road East near Hillcrest Park. They've been there for a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Local around town shuttle bus service being looked at as part of DLRCOCO Living Streets project. Separate to BusConnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

hopefully whatever Indra come up with will end up with an OV Chipkaart system

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Even the OV Chipkaart is old tech. The entire Dutch system now runs on contactless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

OV Chipkaart works exactly the same way as the existing Leap card (though with the different per km fare method), you use a dedicated card to tag on and off, so we already have that with Leap cards.

Do you mean OVPay?

OVPay allows you to tag on and off with any contactless debit/credit card, mobile phone, etc. and was introduced last year.

If the above, then yes, the announcements about them winning the contract specifically mentions account based ticketing and being able to pay using contactless cards, mobiles, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I noticed a new bus stop being installed on the Killarney Road in Bray yesterday, presumably to support the new E1 service which will (unfortunately for me) bypass the Herbert Road loop as I live very close to one of the stops. I see from the Bus Connects website that there'll be a local loop service (L12?) that will run from the Ballywaltrim terminus to the Bray Dart station via Herbert Road, but I can't see any indication of the proposed frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

apologies, OVPay. Essentially the same from a user point of view but very comprehensive, tapped off with the wrong bank card last time I was there and it clearly went oh! Wrong card. Very handy.

Yep, it will likely be the same for us. We will still have Leap cards for those who want them, it will be needed for the child/young person fare, free tavel pass, various period ticket, etc. [1]

But they will then add extra options to pay by bank card, mobile phone, etc. for those who prefer that.

Same in London, you still have the old Oyster cards and now the new tap to pay options.

[1] There is an interesting possibility that you could load these sort of tickets on a phone/debit card, by linking them to your online Leap account or even a virtual Leap card on your phone. Some countries do this, but I'm not certain if we are planning to do the same.

It will be kind of odd that people under 26 won't be able to use their phone to pay and would need to use a Physical leap card to get the reduced fare. You'd normally expect young people to embrace new tech like this. I hope this is something they are thinking about.

The possibility of a virtual leap card on your phone might work best for it. Select that card to pay for your fare, show the driver the virtual card on your phone if they request it (to confirm it is valid).

This seems to be an on going problem for both OVPay and Oyster tap to pay, with OVPay, only one particular subscription can be put on your debit card, the others like child/student discounts, over 65 dicscounts, etc. still don't work with OVPay.

I'm very interested to see how both OVPay and Leap deal with this in time.

• Advertisement

That's not great, but assuming it's just one bus doing loops it's as quick as it can be I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭AngryLips

This seems to be an on going problem for both OVPay and Oyster tap to pay, with OVPay, only one particular subscription can be put on your debit card, the others like child/student discounts, over 65 dicscounts, etc. still don't work with OVPay.

I feel like the benefits of having a virtual account tied to whatever card are overstated for this very reason. Leap card works very well as is and I don't really see using a different card as being any more of an improvement apart from offering a bit of flexibility to the occasional visitor.

It is brilliant for most people, which is folks over 25 and under 65 (excluding disabled, etc.). So most daily commuters.

No longer being stuck if you forget or lose your Leap card. No longer possibly losing the money on the card if it isn't registered. And not having to deal with the **** auto-topup system.

I do get your view, I'm the type of person that I still have the same Leap card since the Leap card trial when it was first launched. But my better half on the other hand, loses her card at least once every 6 months and it is a major hassle of having to get a new card, losing the money on it, etc.

She would NEVER lose her phone or forget to bring it!

The other big aspect of this, is that once this is introduced, is when we start removing cash fares and driver interaction, this should result in reducing boarding times and journey times, which is the real goal of all of this.

Of course making it easier for tourists and irregular visitors is important too, after all we want public transport to be easy to use and accessible, but again it also helps get rid of cash fares from these type of users and speeds up journey times.

I will say that virtual travel cards on the phone is used all over Asia and seems to work well, so I'd see no reason why we wouldn't go that way eventually. It is just the case that the basic tap to pay is a good starting point and it gets rid of cash fares.

Checked on the timetable posted above, and it was actually the L12 as I thought. The L14 goes along Southern Cross. The L12 has a 20 min frequency on weekdays until 6pm which is better.

BTW I also wouldn't really say that Leap cards work well.

The auto-topup system is a massive pain in the ass to set up and it takes too much money out of you account (€40 a go), not everyone has a phone with NFC who can do top-ups, less shops now sell or topup Leap cards. And don't get me started on the rubbish ticket machines on buses.

Leap cards can be okay, if you are a regular PT user and you put the effort in, finally set up atuo-topup or have a phone with NFC. But it can be troublesome for a lot of people and more trouble then it's worth.

As an side, fun fact about Amsterdam, children under 12 travel free with an adult, but they still need to get a paper ticket from the bus driver to travel free! Even good systems can have weird quircks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I do get your view, I'm the type of person that I still have the same Leap card since the Leap card trial when it was first launched. But my better half on the other hand, loses her card at least once every 6 months and it is a major hassle of having to get a new card, losing the money on it, etc.

Does she register her cards? Just asking because I ended up losing a card a while ago and was pretty impressed with how easy it was to get a new card (for free) and have the balance of the old card transferred over. Didn't lose a cent on it.

No, unfortunately she is the type of person who can't be bothered with that. We often end up having two or three cards for her floating around. And I hate it when she grabs my card because she is late, running out the door and can't find her card!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is the bus stop at Park Road; Dun Laoghaire located right beside the People's Park which is the one way road going down towards near the east pier at Dún Laoghaire? It's quite an awkward location to place a bus stop down there as the road is only for one-way traffic.

What are the proposed locations for the terminus & bus stops for this new route?

Have we any idea about it's implementation date for it yet?

BBTW I should point out, that how Oyster tap to pay works (and I guess OVPay) is called an open loop system.

That is actually different to what they are proposing to do with the next gen ticketing project, they are instead doing something called Account Based Ticketing (ABT).

ABT is like what New York has rolled out with their Omny card (cool name) and yes it easily supports reduced fare tickets on your smart device, etc. Interesting video about it here:

https://new.mta.info/fares/reduced-fare/omny

Continuing interesting fun facts adn quirks, kids under 44 inches travel free in New York! Imagine bus drivers trying to figure out your size here, LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭tubbs26

I think we are married to the same person🤣. The tagging on and off with bank cards will help encourage lots of people use public transport a bit more. I can never understand why my wife can't just keep a leap card in her purse and have for the odd time she uses PT. She's not alone so being able to use bank cards to tag on will really help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

There's another new bus stop down beside Sandycove Beach so perhaps a circular route from DL Station> Georges Street Upr> Seafront> Glasthule > George's Street> DL Station is what's being proposed. I'd say there'd be issues with parking especially in the summer. Guess it's probably a similar idea to the 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I take it than that once the new Dún Laoghaire town route once it approaches the People's Park.

The route could be structured like this from your post above.

When the bus leaves DL Station while passing through George's St Upper. The bus will make a left turn to go down at the stop on Park Road. That is the bus stop located right beside the People's Park on the way down to the seafront.

After leaving Park Road; the bus makes a right turn at Teddy's Ice Cream Shop to go along the seafront to Glasthule.

The road along the seafront from Teddys down to Glasthule is now a one way road. The cycle lane on that road was put in place there since Covid.

And then; the bus will make a right turn to Glasthule village & then return to DL Station using the same route as the 59/111 bus.

Is a route like that going to be operated by a private operator working on behalf of the council in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

DLR councillors voted to trial a circular town bus service this year, whether or not the living streets proposal goes ahead. So yes, I'd imagine these stops being installed is for said circular route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Cool do you have a link to any more info about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Can we agree to continue with Dublin's unique naming conventions, and call the O route The Hoop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I noticed a few new bus stops have been created on the Ballyboggin Road, Finglas/Glasnevin. I presume there are for the new service from Hueston Station to Clontart Dart station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This is great news, I'm especially looking forward to this route. Getting North to South in Dublin anywhere west of Capel Street is a pain. Everything is via O'Connell Street when so many journeys need not go near OCS.

I would have much preferred the F spine to operate via Church Street, Christchurch and George's street with the H spine extended to Heuston to improve connectivity (terminating at Abbey st is a joke in this day and age).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Yeah definitely agree on the H-Spine. When Heuston West is built, this would be a no brainier. There should be a significant number of routes starting at Heuston West including H-Spine, N2, S2, Phoenix Park route, and some local routes..

Advertisement