Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

I predict, probably rightfully, the critics are going to maul it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Bodkin is a terrible name for a TV show

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

huh; I wouldn't have said so but bodkin is apparently an Irish word albeit Middle-English derived from Gaelic.

As to the show? YouTube comments described it as looking "Father Ted meets Wicker Man", and yeah; that's precisely the tone I got from the trailer. I think it could go either way, nonsense fun or just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Barack O'Bama is involved so it's gonna be an instant hit

Set in Union hall so at least the scenery will be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Was a bit interested, as I saw them filming some scenes in Cork. Looks awful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Losendos

I was an extra on this, so I’ll be taking a look to see if I can spot myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I watched the first episode and it looks good. It's getting good reviews.

I remember when True Detective came out, I said to someone you could do a similar themed show set in rural Ireland which mixes religion and older paganism and mythology.

This is more light-hearted in tone though as it has comedy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

It definitely picks up after episode 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Especially when its the name of the supposedly Irish town featured. Where the hell did they get that from? It sounds like the name of a 70s British children's tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Bodkin is a major junction in Galway city, we named them after the tribes of Galway. Regular collisions there. Before that it was a traffic light Bodkin Roundabout which was even worse for collisions.

Bodkin was one of the fourteen powerful families of Galway. This family name originated from a victory gained by Thomas FitzRichard (~1300) over a valiant Irish knight, whom he encountered in single combat. Having made use of a short spear, in Irish called Bóidicín, he was, from that circumstance, surnamed Buaidh Bhóidicín, (victory of the Bodkin), which name was afterwards retained by his descendants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I recognised Dave McSavage's son Jack as an extra mourning at a funeral in episode 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Losendos

My main filming was when they go to the Samhain festival,which was great fun, so I’m hoping to see some of that. It was a really enjoyable experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Agreed, it's a bit of a slow burner but I've the first four episodes done now and I'm enjoying it. Will probably get the remaining episodes done in next few nights. I think they've actually done a decent job of displaying a rural Irish village tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Just realised it's directed by Nash Edgerton who did Mr Inbetween.

Wasn't sold on it but I am definitely now, Mr Inbetween was one of the best shows over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I finished it last night.

I really enjoyed it. Plenty of laugh out loud moments and plenty of serious stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just finished this and I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed it

Advertisement