Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VERY very bad crash at Carrs hill - main road from Cork City to Carrigaline

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you're stopped at traffic lights or in a very slow moving stop-start traffic jam, many people will use that time to play with their radio or change a podcast or do something on their phone, or berate their children, or look out the window into the cab of the car next to them to see if they're using their phones...

The ones who are lethal are the ones who'll still do those things while the car is moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I think people using while stopped at traffic are as bad. Often, they see the car in front of them move in their peripheral vision, so they move off without checking their surroundings/looking up. Also, I know phone usage while driving has been common for years, but I feel it is so, so common now. I saw a van the other day run a red light while holding the phone up to his ear. Most cars have Bluetooth or aux capabilities now. There is zero need ever to hold or touch your phone for a phone call

Red light running is so bad now, too. Before I meet see one or two cars go through on a dodgy orange, but now two or three cars might go through on a full red. I saw someone recently who was too lazy to wait for the red light to turn green so just drove off as if it was a yield sign

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ANy update on the injured person in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

what approach you take? How does the driver receive the advice? Does it ever turn nasty? How do the Gardai deal with the complaint? Do you have a YouTube channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When a driver passes me with a phone in their hand, and I catch up with that driver at the next lights, I stop in a position to get clear helmet camera footage of the driver holding their phone.
    I report the matter to the Garda TrafficWatch phone line, and someone from the local station should follow up.

Gardai will follow up with the driver, give them the opportunity to make a statement, and will then usually issue a FCPN. If the driver doesn't pay the fine, the matter could go to a Court nearing, though I've never had to do that.

No Youtube channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Are you not concerned that the driver might follow you home and express their displeasure with your candid camera handy work?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most of the time, the driver is so engrossed in their phone that they don't notice me, even though I'm quite large, and quite bright, and quite obvious, stopped by their window, angling to get the best view on camera. I've had a few bad reactions, but nothing like what you describe. It's always good to have a plan ready to make a fast exit, in a route or direction that the driver won't be able to do quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement