Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop a cat pooing on my lawn

Options
  • 10-05-2024 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So first off, I don't want this to turn in to a thread of how people look after their cats or what cat owners should and should not do. I have a cat pooing in my lawn for last week or so. does it in same place every time

Are there any deterrents that would stop the cat doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yes catching them doing it and clapping your hands loudly and shouting "NO" at it. It'll create a "danger" space.

My cat hasnt done a poo in the litterbox in 5 years. Or in my garden. So apologies if its my cat….

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If there's a flowerbed nearby then you could plant some lavender. Apparently cats hate the smell of it and will avoid that area

We had an issue of cats leaving souvenirs in one flowerbed, we put a lavender plant in and it moved to the other bed.

Put another lavender plant in that bed and the cat f**ked off to someone else's garden to use it as their toilet

Sorted 👍🏻

Apparently any strong smelling plant will do the job but lavender was first on the list and generally easy to find

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GFunk Step2 This

I've the same problem, but in my raised beds. Drives me crazy. I put down netting down. They cant scratch at it when the net is there and it must put them off. Not sure if that would work in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭amacca

I feel like I have a number of answers with a high probability of success for this...some more comedic and some more violent than others

I also feel to reveal those answers would have a high probability of attracting the ire of animal rights activists

• Registered Users Posts: 7,915 ✭✭✭suvigirl

II used this bottle of green jelly stuff, you sprinkle it around the garden, think I got it in a hardware/garden shop. Can't remember the name, it's not harmful, but it seems to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

This, you might find it cheaper elsewhere, I have seen them in Mr. Price on some occasions. Once you have a hose nearby you're good to go, definitely works if it's a fairly specific spot rather than whole garden obviously. Used it successfully to keep my own cat from jumping up on the bonnet of my new car back then! A bad habit she had got from doing it to the very old previous car which I didn't care about but had a badly scratched bonnet from her.

Don't leave it out if frost forecast, mine burst in frost unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

Cats love a bit of freshly dug soil to use as a toilet. If you provide this they will use it in preference to your lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭obi604

Right, 10 days ago I sewed grass seeds so agitated the soil etc and this is where the cat is doing its business - as in where the grass seeds were sewn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

It looks like you'll just have to keep catching them in the act and chasing and shouting at them. They'll soon stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭obi604

What time of day would a car normally go this? Or is there such a thing as a rough time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I would suggest you teach the cat a lesson:

You buy a trap something made to catch a marten, and put some bait in, something the cats like, a bit of fish, or bacon also does the trick.

And then, put the trap into the boot of your car and drive to some other village at least 30 km away and set the cat free there. Chip or no chip in the cat, it'll take the cat quite some time to deal with new surroundings or make her way home….

The other choice you have is getting a dog and train him well.

As the old saying goes, curiosity killed the cat…..

😀

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

I fire an automatic gelsoft gun in the general direction of the offending felines. Scared offending neighbors 3 cats enough to have had an effect. Odd shite in the garden as opposed to offending felines sunning themselves and **** everywhere in the past.

I've told the neighbors I'm doing it cos I'm sick of their cat's shite. Plus I usually shovel up their cats shite and leave it for them to dispose of as they were happy enough with the cats **** in my garden.

You're doing it totally wrong.

You need a trap, and bait.

And once the cat is in the trap you've got two options:

Putting the trap into your car and driving several kilometers away and setting them free.

Or putting them from the trap into a sack, close the sack and throw it into a pond. ( as seen in the beginning of the 1961 movie "Whistle Down the Wind") Just make sure, there are no children around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Buy a super soaker

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The only method I have found to work is the sprinkler. It's also great fun for kids. Illegally removing the cat wouldn't work as it just frees up a territory for another cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭SVI40

Airsoft. Enough to deter them after a few hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You guys be in soooo much trouble when the cat people find this thread! Even cats think cat people are weird!
    😂

Well, actions do have consequences, whatever these are going to be.

What would happen if you were constantly trespassing on somebody's property, and taking a sh…. every time you're there?

As I am a humane person, I wouldn't use an iron trap, they are effective, however, but not recommended.

Any live animal trap would do the job better and is the more civilized version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Large bag of chilli pepper, sprinkle it around fairly liberally

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Maybe some lawn fertiliser will smell strong enough to discourage them

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

This yellow powder sulfur does the trick. Especially if the cats are doing their business near your entrance door to the house.

Rat poison is another effective choice, but it does have a bitter taste the cats don't like. However valerian does attract cats to some extent, - makes them curious.

Cats are curious animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Olbas oil on a dried used teabag, every 3-4m around the perimeter. Just a drop every evening.

I experienced this at a relatives house but it wasn't exactly a controlled experiment, for all I know the cat could of been run over in the meantime.

Advertisement