Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just think if he's in any other vehicle we would expect them to approach such a crossing with greater caution. Righttobikeit is a special case who gets pissy when he's in the wrong.

He thinks his excellent bike handling and what look like great brakes excuse his often general lack of common sense and just being wrong.

Post edited by magicbastarder at

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The cyclist who pulled in front of a truck to make a right hand turn without looking was in the wrong, blind spot or not, a car would have struggled to stop in time if a bike swung across it liek that without warning.

As for RTBI, he needs to get his brakes checked or learn how to use them correctly as at that speed, and that distance, I don't know how he struggled to stop in time. Aside from that, yes, the wheelchair user shouldn't have come out but as vehicular traffic should always be ready to stop when passing pedestrians at the edge of the pavement, whether they are about to cross or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What makes you think that he struggled to stop in time?

The location of things like A pillars, and the absence of appropriate mirrors or cameras to compensate IS faulty machinery - faulty design, that allows a fundamentally unsafe vehicle to be operating in a public space, sharing with pedestrians, cyclists, older ones, little ones, deaf ones.

Any equipment operated on a public road should be safe for use on the public road. Drivers of heavy equipment in particular should be able to see when they are near people, and take appropriate actions to make sure that they don't squish people.

The fact that he had to swerve a bit shows you he didn't stop on time.

People walking or cycling near heavy machinery should have the common sense to not do really dumb **** around them

Yes it would be brilliant if the world was perfect and everything was designed flawlessly but it's not, and personal accountability plays a part, especially in busy urban settings and it works both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

You appear to be ignoring the point that people need to make sure they don't get squished.

Because he was braking here

And he stopped here

At 30kmph, with brakes in good condition, the braking distance, for me at least is half that, and that isn't emergency braking. So either his brakes need work, he needs to learn how to use his brakes correctly or he intentionally didn't brake sufficiently for the sake of a youtube video and caused unnecessary stress to another person. I would expect an observant cyclist to have managed to stop before the white line, or realigned themselves while slowing and just go behind the mobility scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

"I even had a flashing front light under the Garmin"

I don't think they actually work unless you're wearing a builders vest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just in case anyone is interested.

I heard nothing back from the Gardaí as expected.

I popped back into the Garda station today to ask about it and apparently they have no record of a report. Now it seems like it is up to me to trace the Garda who took the report as they all have their own notebooks they write things down in. I was told that the shift I need is in on Tuesday and to drop back then to determine which person it was.

A cynical person might think that they didn't actually want to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

I think you are better off reporting via traffic watch.

That way it gets entered into the system on the spot on a guard will have to follow up on it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭mvt

Yes, that particular roundabout always sucks the joy out of a few laps round the park- glad to hear you are OK this time.

I always come down Dawson Street so never knew about the contra flow lane. Does it just spit you out with nowhere to go into oncoming traffic? That is mental

In my head it was light controlled. But maybe I imagined it because further back as lights

Irregardless of this, it seems like a horrendously stupid design. If there is a light then 100% on the cyclist but even a quick look on street view shows it blended in with the pedestrian lights, why not put it at the end of the path at average eye level where there can be no excuse. I won't lie, I didn't even notice it on streetview until the second viewing. I am sure i would have in real life but it just seems stupid. not excusing anyone riding through but I can see how it would happen.

Ah, in fairness you shouldn't have been on the road inconveniencing hard pressed drivers just trying to get home from work to put food on the table for their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Kissy_Lips

I'm sometimes tempted, if space permits to move out in front of them, and then stop, and look around, and check my phone, check the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not sure about this one, doesn't look as bad as it felt at the time. Only looked back because I jumped from the surprise as this driver swerved around me fairly fast while I was waiting to turn right. Bit perturbed because they clearly only brake when they're a couple of metres behind me before swerving, you can see a clear dip in the bonnet as they do so. Did they not see/look for me until the last second or do they just enjoy tempting fate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭standardg60

A close and fast pass by someone who has clearly never cycled and doesn't know what it feels like. If they were asked they would say sure what was the issue, i saw them and drove around.

Definitely one to make you jump a bit and not a safe overtake at all, worth reporting.

I'm always wary passing that turn, it's at such a bad angle i'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Out with my little boy again this afternoon and was stopped at a yield sign at a t-junction to turn right. I was behind the line to the right hand side of the lane with my little boy behind me slightly to my left waiting for the main road to clear before proceeding. A woman turning right ONTO the road I was on drove right into me. Had to jump of the bike to stop her going over me but she gave the bike a good clatter.

She did apologise (half heartedly) and said she didn't see me 😳. 1:45 in the afternoon on a sunny day. Sun was in my eyes so that was not the reason.

Second time out with my son that there was an incident (you might remember the Dublin bus near miss in Jan). I rarely cycle. If I have done 200K this year I would be surprised so I don't think I will encourage either of my kids to cycle from here on unfortunately. The only reason I was on the road I was on today was to avoid a busier road.

Holy f*ck, that is mental. is your young lad OK at least?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Madness. Glad you're both OK and hope you reported her. Had a similar "I just didnt see you" scenario a few months ago and they've been done for "careless driving" thankfully. Aparently "dangerous driving" only applies if they kill someone. Standard of driving out there is shocking, totally empathise if you're feeling discouraged now.

Yeah he was back a bit behind me and to my left so wasn't in line with her car. He was a bit upset is all.

She cut the corner so much that my bike actually knocked her reg plate off.

Don't think I can be arsed reporting it given the lack of interest the Gardaí had last time.

• Advertisement

Not cycling related, driving to pick up one of my kids and a black Audi coming straight at me on the wrong side of the road. I wasn't going fast so I dropped anchor and laid on the horn. He woke up and swerved, missed me by inches. Twice in a fortnight now if I'd been near the speed limit I'd have been f*cked while driving. I wouldn't even consider myself a good driver but jaysus, standards feel like they are dropping like a stone in water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I see this all the time. I always have to slow to a standstill to give the other driver time to get back into their lane. I always wonder what would they would do if I didn't accommodate their incompetence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Wow, I've often had several close calls in a row but this takes the biscuit!

A mixture of all of them, head was down, passenger beside him, red face so might have a lot of sun or drink on board. Nary a f*ck given.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

takes some neck to pull off a stunt like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Quango Unchained

What's the best way to deal with what I'll euphemistically call "inconsiderate" driving when cycling?

I think the best response is to ignore it as best as possible.

When someone recklessly overtakes you, brushes past and stamps on the brakes at traffic a few hundred metres ahead of you down the road - trying to engage them is only going to be met with anger - maybe a "f*ck off" at best and then you having to watch your back as they repeatedly approach you again and again in traffic.

In the last year, the sense of menace on the roads has really increased. As a driver, every second car behind tailgates now when doing the speed limit - used to be one in ten. If you increase, the size, height, power, weight, acceleration, safety (for occupants only) of vehicles - not good for an urban environment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on the context, but many cyclists will 'take the lane' to prevent some forms of rash overtaking - i.e. don't cycle in the gutter, cycle in what is referred to as secondary position (i.e. about where the left wheel or left passenger of a car would be) or even primary position (driver's side); a lot of rash overtakes can be prevented by presenting the would be overtaker into actually committing to use the oncoming lane or not.

The right answer is to channel your inner yogi. Its tough though.

The most I'll do where someone has done something particularly inconsiderate, like block a cycle lane, pull out of a junction when they see you coming etc, is give an exasperated look and hand signal. They haven't harmed me (usually due to my own attention and anticipation) so the adrenalin rush experienced by near accident incidents doesn't kick in, and I know that roaring abuse won't undo the situation, will unlikely change their behaviour for the better, and could instead trigger a confrontation.

I'm not a saint though, either on the bike or in the car (shout out to the few cars who decided to tear down the hard shoulder to skip the queue in a 1 hour tailback on the N11 yesterday evening while everyone else sucked it up and sat bumper-to-bumper due to a RTA) and do occasionally give a certain hand gesture to impatient asshats who drive a couple of feet behind you, close pass, punishment overtake etc. I know its counterproductive though - I'm just feeding their negative energy, giving them the reaction they want. Those drivers aren't for changing.

But I do consciously try to remind myself that most people are decent and that mistakes will be made. Even where you have drivers who consistently practice bad driving, most of the time they've no idea why its bad. I only need to think of my own parents here. Individuals - whether other drivers or cyclists - aren't going to educate them on the go. They're just not. Even if they know why I'm roaring at them, they're just as likely to double down on what they do out of a 'them-v-us' attitude. It all comes back, as always, to proper education, proper training, proper legislation and proper enforcement.

I find my spins, even commutes, much more enjoyable these days than years ago when I had zero tolerance of bad driving. I'll also make a point of thanking drivers who do show a conscious level of consideration - think of the driver exiting a petrol station who sees you coming and reverses back a few feet away from the cycle lane… they may only be doing what they should be doing, but its nice to acknowledge that kind of gesture. Everyone feels a bit better for it. And if you get into the habit of doing it you'll probably find that you had cause to thank as many drivers on your spin as you had cause to curse at. Which probably just sums up humanity.

I try to acknowledge good behaviour with a nod or a wave - someone reversing back into their driveway etc.

But one act of decent behaviour doesn't balance out one act of bad behaviour in my mind, even if I am unscathed by the latter.

The former stays with me for a few seconds, the latter for a few days and makes me question my choice of commuting each time. As well as wishing I had tyre-shredding lasers fitted to my bikes.

Getting into the office early, leaving early, is definitely a bit less stressful, when the traffic is lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Self preservation seems to have been lost somewhere along the way for most of these people.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

The only person who came across well in that video was the Dog at the end. The guy videoing, yeah, loads were not his fault but a lot were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dubbrin

It's like 250 right to bikes in one video

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭ARX

At first I thought that this was a compilation of different people's videos. That lad has no ability to anticipate. Like none whatsoever.

Kudos to that bike rider. For the most part shows what good road craft and bike handling skills looks like. And an accurate snapshot of the sort of idiocy and selfishness you get from every type of road user.

EDIT: LOL… looks like I've a different way of seeing that to some people here 😂 I do think the camera footage makes some of the near misses more severe than they were. He made a pretty good job of avoiding zombie pedestrians while at the same time demonstrating what a danger they can be.

There's plenty of bad motorists in that video but the cyclist is totally wreckless!

Seems like he's looking for trouble to boost the number of video clips in his library.

He's filtering through traffic and undertaking at what must be 30km/h and getting into unnecessary 50/50s with 3t vans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tommythecat

No one comes out of that video well. It actually just shows how there are as many idiots in all the various forms of transport and anticipation and awareness of what's happening around and fundamentally what's ahead of you is the key to staying safe.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

I must beg to differ with you on that point. He has no road craft whatsoever - anticipation and planning are the cornerstones of road craft, and he exhibits neither. Bike handling skills may get you out of trouble, but anticipation and planning will often keep you out of it in the first place. None of which excuses the shocking driving seen in the video, but halfwits, like the poor, will always be with us.

I used to ride a motorcycle. They are great fun, but come with the ability to get you into trouble very quickly indeed if you fail to anticipate and plan, or if you allow emotion to influence your riding.

This book is worth reading:

https://www.roadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-roadcraft/

Loads of them you could anticipate the pedestrian coming out and he took no action, be it slowing or moving out. Good reactions but bad road craft.

I'll just have to disagree with ye so. Plenty of anticipation from what I saw. Also disagree on the filtering and 'undertaking' criticisms. There's not much you can do when a pedestrian steps off a footbath into a cycle lane without looking, other than ditch the cycle lane and just take the road. And then there's not much you can do on the road when drivers drift across/ hook you, other than take the middle of the lane. I think the 30kmph suggestion is well off too. In almost all of the clips he avoids collision by braking without any sign of locking up.

Anyway… I'll leave it there and have another look at the video for a few post-lunch laughs

been five or six years since i was in london (well, dartford) and the cyclists were weirdly aggressive. big family funeral, we met at her house and it was a glorious day, with bunches standing out on the path outside and occasionally on the street. loads of being shouted at by cyclists, even though it was an otherwise quiet road.

i'm always wary about dissecting videos - it's easy to see things in a field of view in a video which would not be what would be the focus of attention for the cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

To be fair to the person who uploaded that, there's really only 2 incidents I'd put him at fault for.

The one at 30 seconds; the videographer is entering a main road from a secondary road. The pedestrian is continuing along the main road, and technically has the right of way.

Yes, the pedestrian is engrossed in his phone and not aware of his surroundings, but equally well he's within his rights to continue to cross there. Piss poor awareness from the rider not to see that he was likely to step out.

The one at 2.22 - riding into the back of someone and blaming them not having a brake-light - that's a symptom of not leaving a safe gap to stop in - no different to a driver tailgating someone.

For some of the others, a bit of anticipation might have made them less of a close call, but equally well it's not like he's going so fast as to have to lock up to stop in time. I think the nature of the camera makes the speed look a bit higher than it is

Couldn't disagree more with your first point, no pedestrian has the right to wander straight out on the road like that.

And agree more with your second, the brake light one was just stupid on his part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The pedestrian isn’t “wandering out into the road”, they are continuing along the main road.
    Unless the junction is light controlled then the pedestrian continuing along the main carriageway has priority over any motorist or cyclist who is entering or exiting the main roadway.

Legal right of way doesn’t mean it’s sensible to just continue regardless, and any sane pedestrian will check that it’s safe before proceeding across the junction - but that doesn’t change that they have the legal right of way there.

Advertisement