Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Maturity? More of the same patronising attitude, assuming that people are not as knowledgeable as you or as mature as you, is patronising.

I have all the information I need, over my lifetime, to make my own opinions based on that knowledge.

There have been enough examples of his racism on thread already, I won't be giving him or his divisive ideas anymore limelight.

And this

'after giving my knowledge of the somalian community in the UK, that you would suggest Irish women are the same. I find that quite patronising.'

Your knowledge seems to be a very one sided attack on women from a certain country. There are many single mothers, yes including Irish ones, who have more children and avail of social housing. Do you have some problem with housing single mothers and their children?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's extremely effective. I saw one tent near Baggott Street bridge kinda behind the fencing. The canals are somewhere to take your dog to relieve itself. They're not a destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Well I reckon people will have their say in the next election .In my office ,for the EU election every one is voting against established parties but no one is shouting it from the rooftops ,if this carries trough out the country then our politicans that reperesent us will change .I am voting Derek Blighe No1 and 2,3,4,5 for aontu , independent ireland ,farmers alliance .Imo we will have big changes coming ,people were only half as sick with Bertie & co. as this current shower of wasters!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Enough to warrant a couple of tonnes of metal fencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Is this a reference to Denmark?

Their certainly not implementing an immigration policy in line with EU law.

Were we to follow this path I can't imagine the EU would be as lenient with us, especially at this point.

https://migrant-integration.ec.europa.eu/news/denmark-lowest-number-asylum-seekers-ever_en

Ffs. You know exactly what I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

The idea that the EU would leverage contentious tax reforms - reforms that would be implemented bloc-wide - in a punitive response to the State implementing immigration policies consistent with EU law, is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭mikethecop

lol , I offered you more information than you have , so yes I am more knowledgeable than you are on this subject , by definition.

you getting upset about that as a real and actual fact speaks to you maturity does it not ?

it is very good advice to never stop learning , ever on any subject

"i have all the information i need" when you do not have all the information at all is an attitude that is sadly prevalent in protest politics these days and one of the reasons it is easy to laugh at virtue signaling ill informed and childish people who take a position because the media or some other entity tells them to while they know only the vaguest details of the issue themselves

you seem to be seeking an opportunity to get offended and that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread , the interview i posted is relevant and valid to the points offered , ignore it if you wish but as i said it weakens your position when you argue about something you dont know enough about

“Have you ever wondered, perhaps, why opinions which the majority of people quite naturally hold are, if anyone dares express them publicly, denounced as 'controversial, 'extremist', 'explosive', 'disgraceful', and overwhelmed with a violence and venom quite unknown to debate on mere political issues? It is because the whole power of the aggressor depends upon preventing people from seeing what is happening and from saying what they see.”
    ― Enoch Powell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

it’s the correct policy for the layabouts and do gooders of our society - everyone else loses.

You gotta love the boards narrative.

"Tent cities, that's disgraceful, why won't the Government do something to fix this?

The Government does something that fixes it.

"Ah jaysus, look what they've done, that's disgraceful."

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

I think you nailed it with that post, it’s as you say unfathomable to think that we have a government that would continue down this path, knowing as we do that this type of uncontrolled mass immigration has had disastrous affects on other countries like Sweden and Denmark (who have now changed course). It’s amazing to think, first it was 800 years of British rule, then it was 80 years of the Catholic Church and now we seem to have handed the country over to these Globalists. It must be something in the Irish DNA that we feel the need to be subservient at all times.

I think the fixing many people are looking for doesn’t involve moving the issue down the road our into a hotel or a nursing home … as I’m sure you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

They've done **** all to fix it though. The next one will spring up in the next few days. The route cause is not being addressed.

I give up:-) Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Absolutely, fortunately the asylum policies adopted by Sweden and Denmark provide a blueprint for us to follow.

it’s not an airport, no need to announce your departure lol.

But in all seriousness, moving a problem around is not solving a problem - maybe it’s the narrative because it’s common sense and a consensus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Fundamentally, the issue here is threefold:

• A weak Government (which seems to only get worse with every reshuffle over the past 13 years) that has members more interested in social media grandstanding and virtue signalling, and bending the knee to the whims of our EU "friends" than representing the interests and needs of this country and its citizens.
    • Tens of thousands of economic migrants who are abusing our weak immigration controls and generosity by posing as refugees and asylum seekers - demonstrating a fundamental dishonesty and disrespect for Ireland from the off, and simultaneously undermining genuine cases of such, and stealing finite and limited resources that could otherwise be used to help those who actually deserve our support.
    • An indigenous group of well-funded "charity" groups who are making a fortune from this industry that's arisen, supplemented/enabled by naive people who believe that we owe these economic chancers something, and that they will be so appreciative of our help and respectful of our ways that it'll all be one big happy multicultural utopia in the end.

The problems with this of course are that no one asked the rest of the citizens if they were happy to support this half-considered crusade to save everyone who arrives with a sad story - at the expense of those same citizens who are struggling to deal with the existing and worsening problems we already had, and at the cost of them having to step aside to let the new arrivals receive the benefits and supports of the State first.

The other problem is that many of the new arrivals are here solely for themselves. They don't want to be Irish, to give up their existing ways, and to live by our rules - they're only here for what our country can offer them. That's also why they freely admit to arriving from the UK or France or via half of Europe. Why wouldn't they? They're here for a better life for themselves.

To a point that's understandable, but then they're not asylum seekers or refugees fleeing persecution are they? They're deliberately circumventing what controls we do have because it's all about what they want and they need. That alone should disqualify them from any assistance and "entitle" them to a plane trip back to wherever they last departed from.

As I said though, it also highlights the lack of respect they have for our country. They don't want to integrate. They want what we have, and to live how they desire, and the stupidity of the modern Western mindset means that the gate is wide open to abuse while misguided idealists and ideologues pressure the authorities and muddy the necessary conversations to enable it. The irony of course is that these "enlightened liberal progressive" attitudes are the first to fall in the cultures we are now welcoming with open arms. In reality, rather than being recognised for our generosity, we're seen by many as gullible fools to be exploited.

Immigration and multiculturalism could work to be fair, but only when the benefits are for both hosts and the new arrivals, when robust and efficient controls exist to manage not only the intake but who qualifies, as well as ensuring that no one group is favoured or disadvantaged over another. Unfortunately however, such a system and place doesn't yet exist and I doubt a small struggling island on the edge of Europe will be the one to break the mold and the all too familiar unfortunate pattern we've seen already elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Well the last two examples were down to the governments in power at the time. The ordinary irish people have had very little say on what happens to us down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sunjava

We could really do with Vincent Browne grilling our elected gobshytes and sponsored NGOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Repro212

Rather than a do-gooder challenging the state, could there be any scope for some kind of test case legal action on behalf of the Irish people who have been and continue to be discriminated against given this government is prioritising the housing needs of those they have actively encouraged to come here?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Tents, full of refugees, are growing like mushrooms after a rain in Dublin. Government are only encouraging for more to come

So, all the people I work with who are not originally from Ireland fall into that category, yeah? That's a ridiculous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What Ngo that helps these refugees do you actually work with??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm not sure what you're advocating in this particular case, but it's usually that we follow the Danish approach.

As the reference I shared just now shows, Denmark is not in compliance with EU asylum policy.

Were the EU to leverage Ireland to stay in compliance, which is far more pressing now than when Denmark chose it's path, it could quite easily target our tax policies.

We are very much an outlier in terms of how we deal with MNCs and how many are headquartered here. It would be to the benefit of other members states for our yearly 'windfall' to be shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Anyone hear Rich Boy Barrett on the news at one today? Rich Boy is of the firm opinion that we have a duty to house every single arrival looking for asylum. And that is that.

Remember Rich Boy and PBP when you go to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The EU can not pressure us any more than they already are in relation to tax harmonisation and the distribution of IP related taxes.

They already take issue with our tax policies, a change of asylum policy will not change that.

If you think the EU could be coming at us harder but aren't out of kindness then you are having a laugh

Advertisement