Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (Guy Ritchie)

Options
  • 30-01-2024 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭

starring Henry Cavill, Eiza González, Henry Golding, Alan Ritchson, Alex Pettyfer, Cary Elwes and more. The film is set for a theatrical release on April 19.

Billed as an “outrageous true story,” the action spy comedy is inspired by true events about U.K. Prime Minister Winston Churchill’s and James Bond author Ian Fleming’s secret WWII combat organization. The synopsis reads, “this clandestine squad’s unconventional and entirely ‘ungentlemanly’ fighting techniques against the Nazis significantly changed the course of the war and gave birth to the modern Black Ops unit.”

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nothing makes me more cynically dismissive of a film's story than when the trailer says "based on a true story", cos I'm willing to bet they're taking massive swings with this one.

Guy Ritchie though; man there's someone with a really chequered CV and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lots of manly manly manly men in this.

Could be fun if Ritche is on form.

Also this has to be the greatest real name in the histroy of actors....Hero Beauregard Faulkner Fiennes Tiffin

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Inglourious Basterds with Reacher 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

toss a coin to your Reacher

Ritchie seems to have revived the career of Cary Elwes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Hook it into my veins. Ritchie has been on a great run lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The Fienneseseseses all have mad names. Ralph, Martha and Joseph are all officially "Twisleton-Wykeham Fiennes".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

He was in "Blackberry" also and I did the Leonardo DiCaprio pointing meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont think it would get me to the cinema, ww2 is kind of done as a cinema genre? bar the odd special case like Oppenheimer or Dunkirk.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's not great at all.

The thing is there is a really great true story there for them to have a made a really good movie instead of what they made a over the top comedy caricature of the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Interesting to hear that. Might be one of these films that sounds a lot more entertaining on paper than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Have it on now. Halfway through it. It's okay but thought it would be a bit funnier than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I can't believe this got such decent critical reviews and audience response.

I thought it was terrible, whole thing is completely unfunny, over-acted, devoid of interesting characters, incredibly generic and unmemorable action scenes.

It just doesn't work as anything - not a good WW2 movie, not a good action movie, most definitely not a comedy by any stretch. It's just this weird, hammy dud that wants to be its own brand of Inglorious Bastards but falls a mile short.

I struggled anyway. I'd say it's a 4/10 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I meant to post about this as well, but immediately forgot i'd even watched the movie 😅

Thought it was really bad… and worse, just boring. There's absolutely no stakes or tension whatsoever, as the lads just breeze easily through every single scenario they face. And whenever a new obstacle pops up it's just immediately dealt with, no hassle.

Doesn't help that I'm also easily irritated by this upper class Brit's backslapping stuff… no idea why they made Cavill's character that sort of posh lad either - would've been stronger if he was more of a gritty every-man lower class criminal guy that the toffs had to bring in. And it's also a bit annoying that they have an Irish character, but cast an English lad with a dodgy accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I watched the first half hour of this. Had to switch it off and head to bed. Will watch the rest of it tonight. Does it take a big nosedive after the first half hour., I thought that portion of it anyway is really good. The opening scene when the Germans come on board the boat is funny as f@ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,953 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I see this is now on Amazon prime.

Looks to have been a big flop financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Watched it last night, passable but not great. HMS Belfast gets a part too, playing a corvette no less, lol.

The real thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Postmaster

Advertisement