Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Well

Options
  • 09-05-2024 6:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Out now on PC, PS5 (including as part of the upper PS+ tiers), Switch.

Reviews: https://opencritic.com/game/16663/animal-well

Turned this on for 45 minutes this evening and it seems like a very special game. I've also been playing the new Prince of Persia, and that's an expertly crafted Metroidvania, but lacks that certain extra something for me beyond just being a confident spin on a familiar formula. This, on the other hand, already has an abundance of that special something: mystery, secrets, discovery, fiendishly clever puzzles, ominous giant animals.

Quite remarkable that they fit this into a 20-40mb (depending on your platform) download. It's haunting and full of character (music, art design, visual direction) in a way that really shouldn't be possible with that kind of file size!

By all accounts it's an absurdly rich game, including a deep layer of secrets that requires different players to share information from their version of the game and work out the mysteries together. So far, though, it's just a wonderfully clever puzzle platformer that makes a stunning first impression.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Glad I'm on this day 1 as i felt i was so behind with Hollow Knight. Like you said above, that special something, it's missing from so many games these days that need to make profit to either cover debt or keep shareholders happy so when a game comes out that was made purely to be enjoyed by the player first and download, it's just a breath of fresh air. Getting crazy reviews as well.

Ghost Cat is scarier and more relentless than Mr. X!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All about the yo-yo.

Fecking crows!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Was all in until you said Pop was an expertly crafted metroidvania.

It was fine but this has definitely pique my interest, is it enough to finally dust off the Ps5 (for those not on a tier) and buy it or will a steam deck purchase suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Spent a lot of yesterday evening playing this, it’s an absolute joy. Has a feeling of exploration unlike any Metroidvania I’ve ever played, where getting sidetracked can go so far you start to feel that you shouldn’t be going that far and should go back, making pressing on further all that more exciting.

Puzzles are unique and interesting so far too, looking forward to seeing what later ones using multiple items are like.

My PS+ sub ran out the other day so I got it on the deck, which it’s perfect on. Looking forward to getting back to it over the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I mean 'expertly crafted' in the sense that it hits all the beats of the genre confidently and competently, and feels good to play with some well-implemented powers and combat (though the parry timing is rather off IMO). But for all that careful skill and craft, it doesn't really have a unique take & identity in the way it's immediately and abundantly clear Animal Well does :)

Steam Deck will more than suffice for this one. It's verified system requirements are hilariously minimal:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor: 1 GHz
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    DirectX: Version 12
    Storage: 40 MB available space

40 MB!

On a separate note, setting off a firecracker for the first time must be one of the most memorable visual 'wow' moments I've seen in a game recently. The whole thing is a really fresh and interesting take on traditional pixel art, especially the hallucinogenic lighting.

I can't believe 1 person made this. The level design is just mind boggling for 1 person and then you have the beautiful art and like said above, lovely twist on the common pixel set with the use of glowing lights and colours. I've gotten stuck in a few rooms now where I'm not sure if i can't figure out the puzzle or if i don't have the right tools yet but it's so quick to get around, it's not a big deal to backtrack.

The things I had to go through to hold onto that frisbee 😮‍💨

• Advertisement

I got my 2nd flame and about 20 eggs. I'm stuck on 3 puzzle rooms that all use the same pressure plate so I'm guessing I'm missing a tool. Wandering around the map and said I'd go up the big ladder again by the room with the 4 flame statues and it turns out i never went up before and now have a whole new area to explore, it's just incredible.

I managed to free 1 cat but by the time i found out how to do it, i was finished with the area so will definitely go back for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Started it last night. Enjoying it so far. Very much just drops you in it and says "Go!"

Got stuck for a while with the big Ghost Dog after taking the disk, but explored elsewhere and found the fake disk.

So yeah, the looks and feel of the game is sublime, it really invites exploration, and is a joy to play so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gneel

Starting to back track a lot. Not sure where I'm supposed to go next. Went from one end of the map to the other but nothing new.

Just needed to go to the bottom left. I made the mistake of trying that flame icon last

Post edited by gneel on

I somehow completely missed the fast travel item lol. That would have saved some frustration.

Hhhmm need an M disk, why does that sound famili.... Oh you have to be joking me!! Actually proud of myself for getting that bit done.

3 flames down, 1 to go in the lizard zone but I've hit a wall wherei can't reach the pressure plate in the floor under me. It's stopping me getting to the flame room above. Gonna go back over the whole zone to check.

Edit... Aaaaand figured it out, goddamn i love this game.

The versatility of the toolset they give you is wild. Not going to spoil any of the major secondary (or tertiary) uses of items you discover naturally, but even figuring out a seemingly insurmountable obstacle is passable with an item you got hours ago is a joy.

Got my first two flames last night, only halted in my progress by the unfortunate human need to sleep.

All 4 flames done and still going strong, don't want it to end. Although I'm looking forward to 'finishing' the the story so i can go on an egg hunt. I only have 25 and egg room suggests there are 64. Really looking forward to going through every level with the tools i have.

Got my first flame this morning. Only have maybe 5 of the tools you can get but yeah the way they can be used in different ways is a joy, and never stops amazing you with the ways that it means puzzles need to be solved.

So this room, just at the start of the green lizard area… I might be looking for secrets in a place they don’t exist, but given how devious this game is I’m not sure! Spoilering as it contains some item use details.

Basically if you drop the slinky into the water under the bridge, it seems to make a different noise depending on what step you drop it onto, in what order. But the pattern seems complex, so not sure if it’s actually something. But seems to me like it’s there for a reason.

Anyone fancy checking it to see if I’m going mad… or maybe it’s just something for later on 😅

Just got my third flame, and had to do the M disk bit. Quite a few times… but damn that was awesome!

• Advertisement

Got the credits rolling. Great game. Replacing combat with puzzles was a stroke of genius. Right up my alley. Finished with 40 eggs. Mostly due to failing to find the fast travel item and not figuring out I had to reuse the M disk. My only complaint is it dragged in the middle but that's my own dumb fault. I even climbed a ridiculously tall tower only to be blocked by a bird at the top. I don't know who needs to hear this, but you can fire bubbles downwards if you are in the air. I've a few more leads to explore. One is very hard. Requires a technique that I didn't know existed and I've yet to reliably pull off. I can see myself going for 100% in this.

Just rolled credits there too. Only around two dozen eggs so a lot more exploring to do. Also missing one inventory tool so curious if I skipped it or it’s an optional one.

Not nearly done but if this was the end of it I’d be delighted. Just an ingenious game all round - takes all the good things about a Metrodvania, puts clever spins on them, then forms delightfully thinky and fiendish puzzles around them. Easily my favourite game of the year so far and maybe a new high water mark for the genre.

Two major secrets are teased right after ‘finishing’ the game, and by all accounts the secrets go extraordinarily deep. So much more to dig into.

Dunkey has a new video where he interviews Billy Basso, the sole dev, and he said the game has 3 layers. 1st is the puzzle platformer that most little will complete. The 2nd is the secrets like collecting all the eggs for 100% completion. The 3rd layer consists of the deep secrets that he thinks could take a few years for people to find all of them. I'll start with the eggs anyway and look forward to what the country finds on the deep secrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Credits just rolled with 28 eggs. What an absolutely cracking game, every puzzle was really fun, and finding out different ways to use your tools is a complete joy.

Not ready for it to be over in the slightest, so will be beginning the egg hunt now!

Credits rolled for me as well, just loved every bit of that. And man wtf is going on with the last few scenes? I went back to the cats to free the rest of them and cannot find any more codes, Jesus these secrets are tough but i love it. I think I'm missing 1 match as well.

With the f pack, i figured firecrackers are more important that i thought so i tried one..

On the kangaroo near an end scene and he dropped a shard. Like wtf else is hidden in this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Sounds like a great game, puzzle based rather than combat based.

The guy did the game engine, game, graphics, art, music, sound ... And it's on 3 distinct platforms. I notice there is no scrolling in the game and still it all holds together. Just watched a short interview with him. He seems so blasé about it all.

Kind of makes of mockery of the AAA half a billion dollar games that are suffocating the industry at the moment.

Rolled credits tonight too, about 26 eggs when I finished but have kept exploring and got 33 eggs now, and more importantly, another 2 tools that I didn't even need for the main part. The cats I found a code earlier and can't remember where it was so only freed one so far.

As for your spoiler

Yeah I've firecrackered him twice and got shards both times, but the next two times he hasn't dropped anything, even though I'm pretty sure I need another shard to complete whatever it is. But I think it's because I hit him in the same areas as before so need to find out where else he shows up.

I think if you hear cat noises and there's no cat on screen, there's a code nearby.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally got around to this last night. It reminds me a lot of obscure Gameboy game trip world which is a platformer where there's very few enemies and you can interact with the animals in each stage. If course there's a hell of a lot more depth to this. Really enjoying what I played so far. Feels like a cross between trip world and Fez.

• Advertisement

Just an FYI in case anyone has been scratching their head about the rabbit mural thing (presuming you've already found how to manipulate it)

You're going to have to look it up online. You can't solve it on your own. You're only given a small section of the puzzle (and you need two particular tools which aren't on the main path to get your section), and it's designed that at least 50 people would have to put their sections together to get the full thing. But it's already been completed and the solution is online.

Advertisement