Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile on the Roads...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Walking the dog tonight and in the space of two minutes two drivers passed having full blown video calls, phones in hand held in front of their faces. The weird thing was both had their hands free system on at full volume, only reason I looked up to notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

There could be the death penalty for phone use but it wouldn't have made any difference to that interaction. As with many things in Ireland, it's not the lack of available punishments that's the issue - it's the lack of enforcement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

And it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, where people who want to do the right thing on the roads eventually just give up and exceed the speed limit, hop into bus lanes, park on cycle paths with hazards on, have a quick check of the football results on their phone, tap out a few texts, because everyone else does it and lets face it, it makes your life easier if you don't have to play by the rules, yet nobody is ever really seen to be punished - sure we all know where the speed vans are likely to be parked up. Of course we're all aware of the rising death toll on the roads, but as humans we're adept at rationalising these things along the lines of "ah yeah but it would never happen to me, I'm very careful when I drive after a few pints or text with one eye on the road, or rip down the bus lane because I'm turning left in a couple of kms".

Road traffic offences aren't taken seriously by anyone, really. There's very little outrage in the media (who are more interested in the clicks they get for having a pop off the Greens), Govt are happy to just ride out any storm like the one we have now and offer "thoughts and prayers". The judiciary deal with half baked prosecutions from the Gardai/ DPP. The Gardai are under-resourced. And there's no incentive to individual Gardai to make anything more than a token effort.

Its just one giant collective shrug in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Its just one giant collective shrug in this country

"In a letter to the committee, the chief executive of the RSA Sam Waide said the authority could not appear partly due to “operational priorities”.

Mr Waide said the RSA has “limited availability” due to “immediate road safety priorities”."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not a good sign at all at all. Hunkering down in the bunkers and avoiding public scrutiny. Maybe the PAC might ask them about their €5 million spend on hiviz, coincidentally with a company also based in Mayo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Their excuses - 'we're in good health' surely mean they've nothing to fear by turning up?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've never heard of the Dark Tetrad before but it does sound so Z movie evil plot like that it is delicious.

yeah, it sounds like something from the plot of the neverending story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Much as loud aftermarket exhausts annoy me, and I would quite happily have an NCT requirement that anyone presenting to the test with a fart-cannon exhaust gets to have it shoved up their fundament, that paper looks to be reaching a little.

"Modifying a muffler to make a car louder is disturbing to pedestrians, other drivers, and animals at a distance, meeting the sadism component, as well as startling when up close at intersections, meeting the psychopathy component". Maybe, but if their "short Dark Tetrad" could be made a "Short Dark Pentad" by the addition of a "Gobshite" characteristic, I think it would be a better match than "sadism" or "psychopathy".

Gonna confess… I'm in "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is" territory here…

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭DJB030244

Theres some lad driving around North county Dublin in a black hatchback with one of them loud backfiring exhausts . I’ve seen him a few times now , a huge amount of black smoke comes out and it backfires . He went by me another cyclist the other day near Hollywood lakes and let it off . Black smoke and fumes everywhere .
    He was in our estate this evening came screaming down the road then onto swords bypass where he let it really rip . The noise is ridiculous with everybody looking around . Needs a big banana shoved up his pipe .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sounds like "Coal-Rolling" should go down to the Garda station and report him…

That image is exactly what happened, I was on one side of the road and the other cyclist going in the opposite direction. He went by us and let it off . Coming to a town near you soon 🫣 probably laughing his head off .

Get his reg number and report it to Traffic Watch

Is it an Australian Ute? I wouldn't call that a hatchback. Been years since I saw it, that was out around Garristown I think,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fella did that too me in an old diesel 3 series last year up around Sally gap. Slowed in front of me and then planted the accelerator. Was obviously set up to billow smoke out the back. Went into a cop station with reg to report. Cop was supremely disinterested and I never heard anything of it again.

The last few balmy evenings I've been coming home from Laragh over Sally Gap and witnessed some race-track driving from cars and motorbikes. Lads absolutely flying, screeching tyres around blind bends. I signalled them to slow down and just got the finger in return. Spent the rest of the spin looking behind me too for fear of a u-turn retaliation pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Why is it your business to signal anyone to slow down. Just get on with your cycling and take care of yourself.

• Advertisement

Getting dangerous drivers to slow down IS taking care of himself.

Not to mention the countless other road users who'll come across that driver in the next few minutes. Maybe the idiot didn't take the next corner so hot and, who knows, a collision might have been avoided? I know if I was a couple of minutes down the road I'd be grateful for anyone making an effort to get someone to stop treating the roads as a private race track.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You'd want to be a dick up there assuming it was necessarily giving out rather than a warning - quite often sheep and deer on the road.

I saw this and thought of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Not cycling related but the breaking point has been determined for a jail sentence with Nolan, the requirement is "70 previous convictions, including 17 for driving without insurance and four for dangerous driving." and then to stage a car accident and commit insurance fraud:

Seriously, how many times has he driven without insurance over the years to have been caught and convicted 17 times? That's just staggering in of itself given the low probability of being caught. 11 years after the incident there's finally a conviction but yet more time required for the other accomplice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Odd one that. Kill someone in an actual crash - it's an accident, could happen anyone, no point in a custodial sentence.

Pretend to have a crash - 2 years jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Every thing about the timelines here are staggering.

It took from 2013 to 2019 for the insurance company to report the fraud to AGS, then almost 5 years to conviction (no date given).and sentence today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not odd, Nolan is soft on driving offences and weirdly and worryingly sexual predators, but hard on white collar crime and fraud.

All in, he's a complete and utter prick.

He is limited in sentences he can give as he's on circuit court, but for a judge to ve so renowned for being so soft and for so many people to think hes not suitable for the position ( other than legal reps praying they get him) is not a good look

Advertisement