Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

There's no honesty about actual COP. If someone in a cold house needs the type of initial output provided by even the most modest boiler, say 20kw, and the they turn up the stat, the heatpump will just burn electricity to try and raise the flow temperature. You'd be lucky to get 1.5. Look at the tech specs for heatpumps, see how their COP falls away with even a few degrees increase in the tepid flow temperature. They only deliver if you heat the house 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Me praying for pinergy not to change anything 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They just agreed to a full refund of my entire credit balance. Happy days, pump for 5c and immediately after & dump for 25c 😁

I didn't say a 15kWh battery costs €1000

You can get the 16 * EVE 300Ah or so cells for €60 each or so plus VAT and a reasonable amount for shipping. They include busbars and bolts / nuts. Add a few cables to that and a JK BMS with active balancing and CAN comms (so it can talk to your inverter), a fuse / breaker and you have a high quality 15kWh pack for less than an installer would charge you to install a lower quality 5kWh pack

€1,239.85 delivered for 15kwh as of 2-3 weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Are you saying that's you can't get a 15kw for that money? Not sure what you meant above. But you can grab 16x 305Ah cells for €1,150 (incl vat) from NKON. Grab a BMS and a few do-da's and your probably coming in shy of €1500.

You'd still need a way in charging it (ME3000 etc or some other equivalent), but yeah under €2k I reckon and you could have yourself a 15Kwh battery.

Granted to be fair, this isn't for everyone. Old misses Noggins down the road isn't going to have one unless she happens to be handy with a soldering iron and a multi-meter :-) …. so it's not shall we say "general consumer friendly" but the math works.

There's no soldering involved actually, but a good bit of crimping

Hey, a bit less of the Mrs Noggins insulting! She was handy with the soldering iron when most of us in here weren't even born yet 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Still early days in it,

There was planning in for one about an hour away from me. But initial planning has been rejected.

Hybrid rye is also a good crop for them too.

Suppose if all the livestock go, we ain't growing wheat up here.

• Advertisement

The Dutch have been very enthusiastic adopters of PV. So much so that the energy companies have to find new ways to keep their earnings up. The solution? A Levy, sorry, a 'fee', charged to every consumer that has PV on the roof. Up to €697 per annum. It's been fully approved by the competition regulator. Something for the future here, no doubt. Paying for not buying enough of their product. I suppose we already have that here in retail. The amount of goods in the supermarket that are overpriced unless you buy two is staggering.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2024/05/10/netherlands-approves-grid-fees-for-rooftop-pv-system-owners/

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Tell that to the householders trying to curtail their energy bill, and trying to have a burst of heat while watching the telly. All they have is a room stat. They turn it down all day, endure the increasingly cooler house, then try and get a quick boost (the beloved 'boost' button, remember them? Still a big favourite for the cash strapped). With oil, a couple of litres, €2, and you've nearly 20Kwh of heat to give you a few warm hours. Try getting that out of a heatpump for 2 quid.

But there you can opt in to flexible rates. Which is extremely lucrative if you have the right setup. Almost always on sunny days around the noon hours, the price of electricity is negative. So you load up all your cars, your battery and use as much electricity as you can, and they pay you. And of course just switch off the DC input to your inverters

I'll bet the utilities here are eyeing up the fee bit and rubbing their hands.. .

what?

Like anything new you need to educate yourself on how it works. It doesn't work like a boiler so only an idiot would use it like one!

Over a year a properly set up h/p system will heat a house for a lot less than an oil based set up.

A lot of idiots / incompetents out there. And not just the home owners, installers as well. If you don't get the install sized properly, the owner is nearly guaranteed to lose out. And that is on top of the eye watering cost of an "upgrade" to an air to water system

And even for a perfectly sized and installed system, whether it is cheaper to run than oil / gas depends on your oil / gas vs electricity unit prices. The one elephant in the room is that to run A2W efficiently, it effectively is switched on and set to 21C for the entire winter, 24/7. There is a lot of extra units used for that compared to say heating your house only for an hour in the morning and 3-5 hours in the evening like many people with fossil fuel heating do

ah but your house is at a comfortable 21 degrees all day ( or part of it, bedrooms don't need to be).

I'm in a situation where the house was built with the heatpump as the heating solution but I know it's a lot cheaper to run than my parents oil fired system and anyone I know with a gas boiler and similar sized house, again I shift some heating and all hot water to night rates.

Anyway the point was comparing a specific use case which it's not designed for against a gas boiler is a bit silly.

Guess we will have to deduct this as an expense from the FIT taxes and I will need that NC7 to export past 6kw 😂

Ah for sure it makes sense for any newly built, well insulated house to have A2W with underfloor heating on all floors and no radiators. We should stop burning fossil fuels ASAP anyway!

• Advertisement

I don't need education, I'm an engineer this 48 years, but I've also studied behavioural science, and belive it or not, some people like a direct connection between their actions and the results. Not everyone is professionally trained in or is an amateur enthusiast of technology. As a professional I would never refer to end users as 'idiots'. That's the language of fanatics and zealots, who consign all others to the rank of undesirable.

Heat pumps work in real A rated (close to passive) homes. They work in custom designed buildings and residential apartments. Installing one as a direct replacement for an oil or gas boiler in a modestly insulated home and asking the owner to change their practices and expectations is naive. The entire green and eco agenda is littered with lies and false promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Your previous posts did not reflect your education though. You thought a 9kW heat pump would use 8 or 9kW. When a boardsie confirmed his heat pump of a similar size only uses 1.6kW and is on a 20A beaker you shifted the goalposts to say COP is fake.

"People" would be sitting in a cold house during the day and then use the boost function with a heat pump. Arguably that is condescending, even calling people idiots in a roundabout way because they couldn't possibly change their habits.

That was me calling people idiots. Apologies to anyone who felt offended by that!

(I keep forgetting that in 2024 you need to add that to anything you post or say)

Heatpumps can be used as a drop in replacement for oil and gas, but oil being more expensive makes the sums a bit easier.

I'm running mine sorta intermittently, eg house is kept at 18c and the core rooms are boosted to 20-21 in the evening. Current SCOP is 3.39, and now it includes DHW, but that has only being properly monitored in the last few weeks.

For me, It was a project I could work on, I could have swapped my 40yr old oil boiler for a new condensing one (and I wanted to move away from turf). I have lots of battery power, and solar. I did upgrade one radiator in the main living room as old one was somewhat blocked and I was able to bump up the size while I was at it. Running the Heatpump at 50c.

Working with prices now, I can see flogas has a 25.6c 24 hr rate. My COP is 3.39 Dec to now., 1000L of oil on a drop in condensing boiler should hit 90%, so 9000kwh.
    Price of oil is about €1/L, so €1000 for oil.

COP of 3, 900kwh, will use 3000kwh of electric. €750

Not much in it.

For me its more 3.39, all on night rate (I have a big heat battery too) and normal batteries. NR is 14.5 lets allow 10% for conversion losses (Should be 20% but Id say only half the HP use was from batteries), 16c
    9000kWh of heat comes out at €424.

Next thing I might do is upgrade the radiators in the hall, It and the living room is the main heat demands as its the spine of the house. (and the heat leaks to all other rooms maintaining them at the 18c), Should be able to reduce the flow temperature even more

Would I be telling someone with an old oil boiler to go heatpump, No, But I would say to get a condensing one, Get it matched up with the heat loss, Possibly upgrade radiators to allow for a lower return temperature to make the most of the condensing part.

We need more posts like that with real life sums. But don't forget that the upgrade to A2W itself costs many, many thousands even if you do it yourself like you did (which most people can't). If you take that into account, realistically even with half the cost of running it, it will never pay for itself in its lifetime when you save just €500 a year in fuel

Needless to say, we should stop burning fossils, so we need to switch to heat pumps anyway over the next few decades. It is likely that fossils will (or should) get more and more expensive and electricity cheaper and cheaper over time though…

If you read the technical specifications of heatpumps, and I've read a good few, you'll see that as you try to extract higher flow temperature from the unit, in order to perhaps heat your home in the same actual hour you request it, you'll find that cop diminishes rapidly, to fractional figures. Hardly surprising as you're trying to extract heat in Joules from a volume of cold air that would require cooling that air to sub freezing temperatures, eventually icing up the evaporator. If your heatpump is consuming 9kw, and is churning to try and produce unobtainable heat, then a cop of 1.2 to1.3 would not be uncommon, . You may well have little over 10kwh of heat to the flow after losses (there are always losses, especially from those huge fans), so to all intents and purposes you are heating your home at peak electricity rates. Theres no getting away from this, you'll need a bigger heatpump with a higher transfer rate of cooler flow to ufh or full wall height radiators to transfer the volume of heat energy required at such low flow temperatures. It's how it works. It's physics. This blind statement that a 9kw heatpump produce 27kw of heat unconditionally is irresponsible, but is perpetrated on all the eco media sources.

A modest size heat pump will happily extract twice or more than the heat energy of it's electrical consumption on a nice day like today, a COP of 3+ is no problem. But who needs its on a warm day? There is way to much factual reporting of heatpump nightmares to ignore the issues. Extreme Insulation, vast radiators or UFH, and a properly sized unit might give you a reasonable chance of 24hr comfort, but then you're already on the way to a passive house. There are plenty of BER box ticked A rated homes with straight out 6" vents in every room. Your tepid heatpump flow has no chance in those circumstances, as air temperature will never increase to comfort levels, so you'll have warm UFH feet, a cold arse Nd a large electricity bill.

I never suggested they should be installed in houses that aren't suitable you've created a number of arguments to argue against that no one has made. But you still appear to want to run a heat pump like a gas boiler, that's never going to work.

My average power consumption by my hp incl dhw over the past 6 weeks is less than 6 kwh per day in a 2100 Sq foot a3 rated house, I'd say that's pretty good.

Heatpump rating is its output not input.

I have a ecoforest 3-12, it's max is about 12kW as cop decreases it's output decreases not input.

Can heat DHW to 70c without external immersions.

It's R290, so it can't beat the R32 ones at the lower flow but can perform much better than them at higher temperatures.

My stats: (80's bungalow, decent attic insulation, radiators possibly already somewhat "oversized" due to back boiler)

https://emoncms.org/app/view?name=EcoAir&readkey=82a75750e2f56ccdc7e96768b9776268&mode=daily&start=1707609600&end=1715558400

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

You still ignore the low and slow concept. And fellow boardsie's heat pump is on a 20A breaker. I can't say any more here. Did you retrofit your house to a heat pump and are cold? You persist with the same hypotherical over and over.

There is a Heat Pump Running Costs thread. I'm on gas so I'm not a green lunatic or anything, but using boost with fossil fuels to make up for a leaky house is not good practice and should not be used as a stick to beat heat pumps with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

Modnote: this has been copy/pasted from this article https://archive.is/14fax

(Thanks @deezell )

Domestic heat pumps cost from €7,000-€15,000 each, excluding installation, but there has been a litany of problems. The issues include what one industry expert tells me is an under-sizing of heat pumps in properties.

While the heat pump technically meets the building regulations, this is only achieved by frequently using the back-up electric immersion heater, which defeats the purpose and lands the occupier with huge electricity bills.

Heat pumps have been standard equipment throughout Europe for 50 years, so there should be no reason for persistent problems here. With new technology, teething problems are inevitable, and particularly if there is insufficient training and experience in the industry.

However, we are now a decade into the mass installation of heat pumps and problems should not be recurring on a large scale.
    The biggest complaint being flagged to me by engineers, apart from the under-sizing issue above, is incorrect installation, followed by incorrect commissioning of the systems.

Further problems can arise in the “localisation” of foreign manufactured heat pumps to meet Irish regulations, for example, the addition of external controls and timers.

A problem is that the default solution, which allows people to keep living in the property, is to override the system by switching it to the immersion setting. As the row over culpability rumbles on, many owners are probably not even aware that they are heating their radiators via their immersion – at enormous cost.

What has been your experience of your heat pump?

Post edited by graememk on

Advertisement