Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOTC(state of the collection) thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I love my Montas! They are so well made, but they are not cheap. The Oceanking is my favourite of the models and get a lot of wrist time. Probably the most out of everything on my watch box. It seems to catch the light at every angle and sparkle. The new model gets a bit of stick for looking to much like a sub, but TBH I have listened to that acquisition being thrown around so often and in so many directions it has lost meaning at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Back l-r: W&W Chrono, deep navy face & blacl croc integrated strap; Elgin Deep Sea Chrono Speedie homage; Seiko 5 SRPD on rubber.

Front l-r: Tissot PRX; Seiko Mod, 36mm flieger style case w/ snowflake hands; Nomadic Marai Burgundy.

I rarely wear the Elgin or Seiko mod, so have them and the SRPD advertised to fund the next purchase, if there's any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A look at my current SOTC, I currently have 14 in the box which tbh is a few too many 🤣

I did have a 1 in- 1 out rule l, that my Mrs is certain is still in place.

Still... What she doesn't know won't hurt me😉

A list of what's in the pic, not quite in order.

Sinn U2-SDR

Sinn 104 st SA w

Sinn 103 Destro

Sinn U2W

Citizen Promaster

Omega 2535.80 GMT

Blancpain 2185f

Monro Studio Green

Monro Studio Red (1 of 3)

Tudor BlackBay Red

Accutron Astronaut

Self Build GMT (6460 mvmt)

Sólás Starlight

IWC 3878-02

• Registered Users Posts: 65,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

To me, the Seamaster stands out head and shoulders above the rest. Whatever you do, sell 10 of them if you have to, but keep that one 😁

Keep the Tudor too. Until you have a Rolex in the collection anyway 😉

I'd put the Blancpain ahead of it, and as an actual tool/dive watch, I'd put the Sinn U2's ahead of it, too. The Seamaster is a better-looking watch than the Sinn, and being slimmer its a more comfortable wear, but it's let down by the slippiness of the bezel when in actual diving use. Its nigh on impossible to grip and turn easily.
    I have zero ambition for a Rolex, now I of course wouldn't say no to one at retail or below ;) but I just don't have the grá for one at all.
    All that said, if I was to start selling? It'd be the Blancpain, the IWC and the Tudor competing for 1st for the chop.

• Advertisement

I despised Rolex all my life. Until I despised them no more. And then I wanted one. And then I got one. And then I got many other ones 😂

Your time will come 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

Christ they should be the last three you sell.

I struggle to see how you can look at that box and then conclude there the ones to make room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Omega, tudor, Blancpain and the IWC. Those are your four best watches there Banie, sell everything else if you are itchy, dont gut the quality out of the collection or you will end up with 20 watches and no depth to the collection at all. When you are down to those four, sell the tudor (had that watch and I know why you would sell it) and get a Submariner…then you are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don't count the tat, be it the Monro's, the Sólás or even, in some folks opinion 😉 the Accutron.

The Blancpain is hands down the very best watch in the box, if I was to sell any of the watches there currently? It'd be as a fundraising exercise, to spin into something new. The 3 I proposed as 1st out, are 1st precisely for that reason, they'd sell quickest.

You're (and 893 too) right, as I said above if I was to sell? Those would be the quickest to flip into cash. I should perhaps have been clearer in what I meant.

• Advertisement

I still don’t see the point in selling the best to raise cash unless a particularly time sensitive purchase appeared and even then.

I don't despise them, granted the AD bollox is a dance I don't/wouldn't want to play. Its not like I'd not give a Rolex a welcome home for a while but there's no Rolex I've yet lusted after.

I've wanted a Breitling emergency since I 1st read their ads as a young fella. I've not had one yet, but I've had a superocean II 42 and loved it, and I will give the emergency a try at some stage. Those adverts and pop-culture moments that drive the nostalgia bit of watch buying, they are important.

For me, Bond was Dalton & Brosnan, Tag & Omega, F1 were TAG same with football and I always associated Rolex with tennis and golf, neither of which I played other than when I thought I could serve like Michael Stich in the early 90s 🤣

Rolex always mind me of that imaginary example beloved of economists, the veblen good. I get why they are popular, I get why I should want one but, I don't 🤷‍♂️

I'll have to see if I can skip a level in Fitz's hierarchy 😉 or figure out what will work as an ersatz Rollie.

I agree, I'm not selling anything currently (nor need to) but if I was? It would be as a cash raising exercise. I'd meant my example in that regard.

Edit...

Having read back over the garbled logic in my last couple of posts? Its clear to see that being back on pain meds isn't doing my prose any favours 🤦‍♀️

It does totally read as if I would be selling the best to spin into a new watch rather than curating the collection and slimming down to add better. I need to to think quicker and type slower.

If you're auld 😁 I'm only a spring chicken yet.

I would hold the BP and the IWC as they are head and shoulders above the rest but YMMV.

If you want to thin the collection stop buying crap from kickstarter for a starters…..😀

The Blancpain is lovely but looks about a 38mm? I think @banie01 is a big lad like 6'3 or something? Maybe a bit small.

Arount that and it wears it’s size and no bigger. But he likes small watches…:see that monstrosity in the bottom corner ……shudder….he knows it give me nightmares

I guess. He wore your ladies' VC 😂

(If I'm honest I was very tempted to buy it myself at the time, gorgeous watch)

The BP is just a mm too small for my taste though which is why it only passed through for me.

• Advertisement

It wears bigger on the wrist, the lack of a techy bezel means that it's got a really great dial to size ratio and the dial really does pop on it, in the flesh IMO. Its incredibly legible, and very comfortable wear.

I'm going to join a 12 step group for the auld Kickstarter addiction 😉 You'll be proud of me for not signing up for any KS in 6 months 🤣

On just the spec, reading 38mm I totally get what you mean. That said, I think the lack of a bezel and the high contrast between dial and hands make for a very legible watch. Yeah it doesn't have the size or hefty of the IWC but it's just as legible IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dev1234

Starting top left:

Casio G-Shock (GW-M5610U-1BER): This was first intentional G-Shock purchase. I was looking for something that I could put on and not worry about it taking knocks or getting soaked. Doesn’t see much wrist time as I wear a Fitbit on my other wrist so I find it hard to justify two digital displays at the same time!!

Solas Starlight: As I’m sure many others on here did, I’d followed @Thirdfox Kickstarter campaign with a lot of interest and even more admiration. There were ups, there were downs, and finally there was a fantastic watch. All of this was during the pandemic IIRC so it came as a welcome distraction. I’d ordered the additional salmon skin strap which also works well on the Speedmaster.

Omega Speedmaster Professional: (Ref no: 311.30.42.30.01.006 – Sapphire Sandwich). This is my first “proper” watch which I received the week of the start of the pandemic. I’ve always had an interest in watches and I wanted to get something that is recognisable and has a bit of heritage. I’ve tried a couple of Nato straps on it but I can’t get used to them so I reverted back to the stainless steel strap.

Casio MRW-200H: Impulse buy from the Bargain Watch thread on here. Perfect for holidays as it’s waterproof, can take a bit of a hammering and wouldn’t cost much to replace if I lost it.

Seiko King Samurai (SRPE37K1): I love the white waffle face on this. Was looking for a reasonably priced dive watch and this fits the bill perfectly. I’ve a couple of different rubber straps for it but have settled on the navy one for the last couple of weeks

Casio G-Shock Master of G Mudmaster (GWG-B1000-1A4): Was fortunate enough to get to Tokyo on a work trip a couple of months ago and wanted to pick up a souvenir. It looks big in the picture but I believe it is slightly smaller than previous Mudmasters. It has loads of functionality that I probably won’t ever use but again its great for messing in the pool.

Citizen Perpetual Chronograph ECO Drive (BL5140-51L): Got this as a present from my parents when I finished college. I think I picked it up in Weir’s in Dundrum. Small face by today’s standards but it wears well and works perfectly 20+ years later.

Seiko SNDC81 Chronograph: Picked up as a proxy to the Speedmaster before I picked up the Omega. Came to the realisation that I could continue to buy €100-200 watches and never get the watch I wanted, or put away all those €100-200 and get the watch I wanted.

Casio G-Shock GW-800D: Was a present from my brother 20+ years ago. I found it down the back of a drawer a couple of months ago, put a new battery in it and it’s right as rain. The auto-update for time doesn’t work but that a minor detail.

All in all, a bit of a mix and probably more G-Shocks that I thought I had!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Nice collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭scwazrh

It’s nearly a year since I posted my last SOTC so thought I would update with the current selection A good bit of a change when compared to last years.I always say I don’t sell my watches but looking back here it seems I do , quite a few have been moved on including my Ming this weekend .

The Tudor collection is down from 6 to 2 and the Seiko collection has been heavily reduced with a few given to friends and the main ones I want sitting in the box below. A few more of the seikos going for sale soon enough .

So following the sale of my Ming , Seamaster and BB pro over the last few months , the watch fund is ready to splurge but I just can’t decide on anything .With the way the watch market is at the moment I want to be sure I really want the watch before buying as too easy to lose money on watches now .

A Royal Oak offshore is likely on the horizon and I still have a longing for a Pepsi .That said every time I put on the sub I ask myself why bother with anything else so who knows what if anything is next.

A Royal Oak (prefer a straight RO to an offshore but that’s preference); would add a lot more to that collection than a Pepsi.

I agree - Also seems better value in the AP .All the money is going to the watch instead of half of it paying for hype.

have you tried the offshore, not sure if you recall I had one for a while, it's a chunky watch not really a daily imo!

Yes albeit a brief try on. Wore similar to my Panerai . What model did you have ?

• Advertisement

ill see if i can dig out a pic of my own but it was this lad (not the wempe reference just the regular version of the same)

https://theswisscollector.com/en/royal-oak-offshore/5744-audemars-piguet-royal-oak-offshore.html

Advertisement