Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Aaaaaaah there is a quaint, antiquated term, a penal colony! Haven’t heard it in such a long time! Can wholeheartedly recommend Franz Kafka’s short story “In the Penal Colony”, a treasure to savour for all lovers of tragicomic absurdism (which includes readers and posters on this thread as a matter of course).

P.S. Caution though, it does get a bit gory (the short story, I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

"Then that would be the choice of the Ukrainian people."

A "choice" ? To leave one's country when the neighbour invades?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Isn't that what the Ukrainian authorities want? Closing overseas consular services to those of service age, obliging them to return to Ukraine. I'm all for supporting Ukraine in any way we can during this emergency. Are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There's a massive difference between "Obliging someone to return" and requesting that a third party country forcibly returns someone against their will.

• Advertisement

I think someone said it well higher up, it’s an issue for Ukraine and Ukrainians to resolve and resolve it will

I wouldn’t be surprised if they also copy Russians this year and start hiring from third world countries paying 1000-2000$ a month for service

Quick back of napkin calculation shows for 1.8 billion a year (Ukraine gonna get double this from seized Russian assets yearly interest alone) they can maintain 100k mercenaries

I suspect the issue right now is not manpower but equipment and ammo. What good are more soldiers if they don’t have training and equipment (just look at what’s happening to Russians being fed into meatgrinder without equipment and training) especially if ontop of payment citizenship to what soon is to be an eu country is offered

BTW the above could also solve Europes young male migrant problems that is causing such controversy across Europe (just look at parallel thread here) There is potential to solve two problems in one go for Europe and Ukraine

But once again equipment and ammo seems the highest priority followed by air defences and EW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Horrible to see these Russian gains. Easily preventable if not for ridiculously cowardly western leadership the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What if they let the Russians into Kharkiv after it's turned into a fortress and killing zone? A Stailingrad to trap the Russians in door to door fighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Another man who will be trying his best to stay away from windows for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭zv2

Don't tell me he threw a bottle of vodka at the drone…

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Different, yes, but you can get to an interesting philosophical question there when you start talking about national interest for both countries. What would happen if, for example, not only did Ukraine actually ask for Ireland to return the personnel, but backed it up by stating that Ireland would be deprioritised in trade deals compared to other nations in the future? Right now, the aid Ireland is providing towards winning the conflict is as near to zero as makes little difference, so Ukraine has little to lose in that context. The people Ireland is hosting are probably more valuable to Ukraine than anything else Ireland can provide, unless Ireland decides to hand over a bunch of its (surprisingly large) anti tank weapons holdings. Ireland provides sanctuary to Ukrainians so that they aren't refugees (or even just displaced people who are still able to work) in Ukraine but over 500km from the conflict zone. When there was a serious fear that Ukraine would be overrun, accepting all the refugees was understandable, necessarily done in a hurry with little refinement and appreciated by Ukraine. But even without any threats or unpleasantness, is it still in Ireland's interest to host Ukrainians even when Ukraine doesn't need (or want) them to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You are talking about ukraine so those are not rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

There were discussions of various recruitment efforts in Latin America. These would be incorporated into Ukraine's Foreign legion. Difficult to get any information given the secrecy and the level of disinformation floating around.

As regards the migrants, imagine morale would be an issue to be bluntly cold about it. Various NGO groups would have a melt down over it. Also would play into the Russian propaganda effort.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I doubt the citizens of Kharkhiv would appreciate it. Look at how many civilians are killed in the relatively uneven battle for Groznyy. If people think that 30,000 is a lot of civilian casualties in Gaza over six months, they'll be in for an eye opener .

That was a Czech graft. They promised million of shells if they collect enough of donations. Just a move for empty insignificant suits to get their 5 minutes of fame and some little money on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a dirty element to all this and I see it mentioned in Europe too.

Henceforth anyway. There'd be no luck in expelling people fleeing their own country from invasion while people from the invading country can walk around trouble free. If any Ukrainian be expected to go back and fight. Then any Russian should also be expected to leave and fight for Ukraine.

And all this because we don't actually want western soldiers in Ukraine.

We'd have RT presenters howling for western soldiers to go to Ukraine just so their sons can stay in London or Dublin.

They can melt all they want and Russian propaganda already insist anyone but Ukrainians are fighting them as they are at war with NATO yada yada and it’s difficult for them to admit that so many of them are being killed by mere Ukrainians.

There are plenty of positions in a modern military that don’t require being at the front line, tip of the spear sort of speak, I am sure plenty of help needed for example in logistics and repair.

Being paid (and other benefits) and getting citizenship is not too different to what already happens for example in US military (where service is a well trodden path to citizenship) I am fairly sure that would be a more attractive option than being sent back to your country or … Rwanda

But anyways none of that matters without bullets and ammo and training

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'm sure they wouldn't. It may not be their choice in any case if the Russians make it to the city.

Good point, why are Russians still allowed into Europe?

There was an article today about how there are Russian nuclear technicians still working in Germany on their plants, I mean if that doesn’t ring alarm bells what will

You can talk and compare economy size as much as you want. In this case it is irrelevant.

To illustrate imagine western economy as a fancy penthouse apartments with top of the notch kitchen when russian is just a small farmhouse out in the sticks. It sure look that way, however, while your kitchen may be top notch you cant cook a meal before you go out and buy all ingredients you need. Not to mention you will have to hire someone who can cook it for you since you forgot how to do it yourself. There was quite a big arms industry in Czechoslovakia for example but it got dismantled, sold off and liquidated right after colour revolution as it was in direct competition with the usa. All of that skilled personnel left, schools closed and factories crumbled. This was the case with all ex-eastern bloc countries and I bet that they are now feeling sorry that happened.

That farmhouse out there is much better off as it sits on farmland which provide all they need and in abundance.

There are very little minerals left to exploit and use in the west which are needed for arms production and some of the most crucial needed are being sourced from china. A lot of green red tape will have to be dismantled in order to restart any remaining mining industry and even then it will take a years to accomplish. Not to mention that arms production is energy heavy and solar or wind are not going to cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Lol. How can the Czech's profit off it exactly? Only people I could (conceivably) see profiting (dishonestly) are countries that get money and then don't deliver or deliver rubbish.

You are quite the cynic with a pretty diseased view of the world. Everyone is on the take eh, everyone is dirty and "grafting". Very Russian, to nationally stereotype.

You do realise that likes of Rheinmetal are building factories in Ukraine itself right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Another day. Another arms dump.

If you think that refugees who run away from conflicts in their own country would find it more attractive to be enlisted and fight in another country military conflict then good luck to you. Not to mention that 9 out of 10 refugees are actually economic migrants I seriously doubt they would find Bakhmut more appealing than Rwanda no matter how much would you offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Philosophical scenarios aside, I think there is zero chance something like this happens for a couple of reasons:

1. No western country would send men, against their will, to a country where they're going to be conscripted (It's one of the reasons why migrants don't get send back to Eritrea). Even if the politicians decided to do it, it would almost certainly be blocked in the courts.
    2. It wouldn't be in Ukraine's interest from a PR point of view to make veiled threats against EU member nations. Zelensky understands this kind of thing innately and has been very successful in that area. Trying to strong-arm countries into doing something that large portions of their public would find morally unconscionable would be a sure-fire way to permanently burn any support they have in those countries.

The fact that thousands are willingly going to fight for Russia for much less and will not live long enough to gain Russian citizenship never mind enjoy their roubles is a direct counterpoint to your post.

If someone is an economic migrant then make it clear their choices are be sent back or hey what about this economic and citizenship opportunity here.

Oh sorry I had no idea you are full of holy spirit living in a land of unicorns and fairies.

They introduced this scheme where they posed as intermediaries. Wanting to collect money supposedly knowing where supplies are and even claimed they can procure that amount. Guess what happened? When they were pressed into revealing sellers or directly connect buyer with sellers suddenly there was nowhere near what was promised so very little money fell in that trap.

Explain to me how intermediary profit in any business if standard definition of intermediary is diseased view in your opinion.

Everyone who can including ukrainians are trying to profit from this conflict. It was illustrated time and again like when us decided not to build tank repair shops in poland because what poles asked for it was beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Deub

It will be my last reply on this topic. You said you asked the same question than the OP and you were “censored”. I was just pointing out you didn’t ask that question. Your point was totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭zv2

@zerosquared "The fact that thousands are willingly going to fight for Russia"

Most of them are convinced they are natural born drone dodgers.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement