Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

MS would simply close the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now if only they could travel back in time and make a similar suggestion to EA about Titanfall 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Luna84

Still knocking through Grounded. It's such a great game. It doesn't hold your hand like other games with markers on where to find the labs. All done from exploring the garden and finding it yourself. I just done my third lab and need an upgraded knife to get in. It was pure guess work on my end. I was saying to myself I bet that is it and sure enough it was exactly how to get into the lab. But it was a challenge to get the upgraded knife parts that was need to enter the lab.

Just starting a new game and they have the "auto pickup of items" option turned to off by default. Seems all games that I've played that have the option default to off. Surely more people prefer it to be on, especially in games where you can't be over encumbered or aren't using up inventory slots, like Horizon. Or am I the odd one for turning it on?

My eyes have blood shot veins atm, happens when I put big hours into a game in a short timespan. I have been playing Grounded constantly all weekend. Normally I'm a casual gamer but when a game hooks me in I cannot stop playing it. I'm even thinking about what to do in the game while in bed before I fall asleep.

• Advertisement

It depends on the game. On games like Doom, sure. On games like Horizon no, threre should be an action to pick things up, it's part of what makes it immersive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree that it can depend on a variety of factors; how often you have to pick things up, is there an action of your character picking things up which affects movement speed, does picking up items mean they add to any kind of encumberence, are there items you'll never need and it becomes a burden to organise/remove/sell such items.

With Horizon in particular, you have to collect so many resources to craft all the different types of ammo and consumables, that pressing the button each time just becomes annoying. It pretty much becomes automatic because you're just pressing the button any time you're near something flashy on the ground regardless of what it is. The benefits of immersion aren't worth the hassle imo. At the very least they patched out the pickup animation for general resources.

To me it always feels like this (bar the box at the end)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All I know is that nothing is worse than how red dead redemption handles it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, there's immersion and there's... "Ugh, I'm not even going to bother picking that up so i can avoid a mini cutscene".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ori games had a nice power up that the collectables would automatically home into Ori and be automatically collected and the range could increase (if I remember correctly) and it looked cool. And didn't break any immersion, because the game created it's own little believable universe.

• Advertisement

I like that power up in games as well, usually when it's bringing currency or health to you. Like in Metroid Prim, charging teh beam sucks any missiles or energy to you.

But in games like Horizon and others, auto pickup is just so much handier instead of seeing something, going over to it, getting the angle just right to have the pickup prompt appear. Especially if in an area with multiple pickups - Press triangle, crouch and pick up, press triangle, crouch and pick up, turn slightly, press triangle, crouch and pick up, etc.

Immersion kinda goes out the window anyway when you open your inventory to see you're somehow carrying 100 branches plus everything else. 😀

Also, I was fully in on the BOTW universe and then TOTK allows you to stick a cabbage/whatever on a shield and it's just a bit daft, especially when it's in your face as you guide Link around. It got to the stage where I'd unequip the daft stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The arbitrary inventory limits are what kill me. When you have like nine swords and five guns as standard - along with a pharmacy’s worth of consumables and a bank vault’s worth of currency - and then you find something that pushes you over the edge into over-encumbered. Inventory space can be an interesting mechanic - like in Resident Evil, or the fascinating choices it leads to in a run of Shiren The Wanderer. I’d even argue it serves a purpose in something like Diablo, where loot is the thing. But when it’s just an arbitrary stat in an RPG with limited or negative gameplay implications, it drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭McFly85

I really wish more games that have inventory management/encumbrance as a mechanic would just automatically send stuff to storage one you go over the limit. I don’t mind having to manage what I want to carry, I hate being in the middle of nowhere finding myself suddenly incredibly slow and figuring out what I want to throw away.

Elden ring did great inventory management. Weight only impacts what you have equipped, items have a certain amount that you can carry on you, anything more than that is automatically sent to storage and refreshed upon rest/death. It’s a large inventory that barely needs managing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's one thing I hate in a lot of RPGs, where you collect so many different types of junk items, that instead of just being lumped together into one inventory "Assorted Junk" item, they clog up half the inventory. And to get rid, unless there's a "Sell all junk" option, you have to try sell or discard it all manually. But you also can't help but collect it all because when you're looting a box or body it's far easier to just select "Take all items" rather than sort through it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think equip weight is a different category for me as that will determine build balance in a lot of cases. Very different mechanically to just a random high limit on the amount of stuff you can carry in your imaginary magical backpack.

But yeah, inventory management can get in the way in even great games. As much as I loved Baldur’s Gate 3, I’d have no hesitation calling rooting around in the inventory screen and figuring out what to store vs to keep is the worst part of it.

Great thing about Fallout 3, NV and 4 was I could just store stuff in a bin any where in the game world and come back and they are still there. I used to loot a building and store stuff I wanted to sell in the bin and come back to it. But yea I still had to mange the inventory so it would be a lot easier if you could carry everything. I used to hate the encumbered thing in those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Death stranding has the best inventory management going. Just dismantle/dumped stuff into other people's postbox/ underground bases as you go about.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Starfield evolved this by letting you put items anywhere at all and it will still be there when you come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This is so utterly disgusting, and the comments under their post are even more depressing. Lifetime bans are the least of what's required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Haven't played an online game with chat in years, it's still as toxic as ever then? But now they're following up with comments on twitter as well? (Not logging into an app I don't use just to see the comments, but I can guess what they're like after watching the video)

I think Mario Kart 8 on Switch is the only game I've ever played over the internet and you can pick from about 10 phrases in that, which seems very restrictive, but now I know why. And also it's another reason why Mario Kart 8 is one of the best selling games of all time. It does not exclude anyone. It even has steering assist for those who need it. The controls are super simple and so versatile at the same time.

Its kind of why I love Splatoon. I don't miss internet coms at all.

Hard to even listen to that and to see the amount of people defending him, Jesus Christ. 'banter' my hole. That guy should be identified and called out, that's not a normal thing to say to someone.

Anyway, i have an awful hankering for the Red Dead Redemption remaster. I reinstalled RDR2 to play a bit of the Epilogue which i think i enjoyed more than the base game and add absolutely incredible it is too look at, it's a chore to play with the amount of realism and systems in place. RDR 1 was a much simpler game and the better for it imo.

I noticed Smyths selling it for 30 and cex offering 25 cash to buy back, seems like a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Never played the RDR2 epilogue bar a mission or two.

Dying to boot up RDR1 again but do I do the epilogue first?

Zero - sounds like it's worth it?

There's 2 parts of the epilogue, the 1st part as you do missions learning to ranch and help people while meeting up with old friends. The 2nd part has got biting land and building Beechers Hope, your home from the first game, bang of nostalgia knowing what's to come. Such an easy going and enjoyable part of the game and definitely increases the want to replay the first game.

• Advertisement

Americans, particularly those big into competitive sports and esports seem to have this obsession with "Thrash talking" where pretty much anything goes. Sexism, attacking disabilities, even full on racism. They excuse it by saying it's all purely psychological and and not supposed to be taken seriously, psychology is a huge part of the game apparently. Last time I saw something this bad was when Capcom were creating a documentary to promote the fighting game scene only to end up getting footage of a horrible prick saying such nasty things to a female competitor that she walked away mid game in a state of distress. To any normal person it was pretty disgraceful but I was shocked by the amount of Americans in the fighting game community defend it as just thrash talking and fair game in a competitive environment.

Advertisement