Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG inverter direct drive electrical fault

Options
  • 23-04-2024 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

I hope this is the right board.

I have an LG Inverter Direct Drive 8kg that started disarming the circuit breaker once turned on.

After some investigation I found that a red wire going to the back, when disconnected, would stop the problem. I tested some washing modes and all seem to be working fine!

I’m not an electrician, I’m wondering what that thing does. Anyone with experience?

After the machine shuts down after bring idle, if I remove the plug from the socket, it actually turn the machine on for few seconds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, when you say circuit-breaker, could it be an RCD breaker instead? Have a look at the numbers on the affected breaker or take a photo.

That red wire is either the neutral or the live supply to the heating coil, without it you're probably doing a cold wash, or the system is in a fault state, but anyway, you don't have a way of heating the water.

As to the cause, I suspect that you have a blown heating element and it's creating an earth leakage fault which is tripping the RCD (or MCB if its creating a direct short).

You could test this if you have a multimeter by measuring the resistance between the spade connectors where the yellow and the red wires connect into, then measure between red and green, then green and yellow. Only red and yellow should have a low resistance, the rest should be open-circuit (no connection).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JMcFlurry

Hi 10-10-20,

Thanks for comprehensive explanation. I’ll test the warm wash tomorrow and post here.

Here is the breaker

That's an RCD like I suspected, you have a faulty heater. It's a safety device to prevent you from getting a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JMcFlurry

Hi All,

Just an update here. It was actually the heater. That red cable foes directly there.

I purchased a new one and replaced. ← Be carefull when replacing that as there is a lot of water going out when you uncrew that heater!

All working fine now. Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement