Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Live Video NYC-Dublin Portal ..

Options
  • 13-05-2024 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Seems things have NOT gone well with this new installation - The Live NYC-Dublin video portal unit.

As discussed on LIVELINE this afternoon: "Drunken behaviour, bare arses, even mocking 9/11."

The 9/11 mocking can be seen here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unexpected/comments/1cpl9rc/the_nycdublin_portal/

Anyway - my view, Nice idea, but a bit nieve I think. What happened here was inevitable. As the reddit video poster says this is why we can never have nice things

Post edited by aidanodr on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

What moron thought it was a good idea to put it in that area of the city/country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

It seems to be working no issues in NYC and in other places EXCEPT Dublin

Its installed on North Earl Street??? ( dont know Dublin, so cannot comment re street choice ) .. though someone else said Talbot street??

Now turned off:

As of 4pm its back on again ..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Obvious this wasn't going to work well, that is a pretty rough street and area (I used to work around the corner)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The J0urnal has a report it was down because of an IT glitch and its back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

"Its great for de kids in de area" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it was pretty naive / incompetent alright.

The idea for the thing is good / fun / something different but…. Unfortunately some people just let the side down…. Maybe it would be alright in a secure environment like say Dublin airport or even a shopping centre.

Thing will end up just kicked to bits probably. Like the Anna Livia, constant repairs will be cost prohibitive…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think one of the museums would be a good spot for it to relocate.

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried this with the portal yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,475 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the type of mean spirited thing that could put a ding in Irelands tourism esp. that the little incident went a tad viral.

Many of the comments on reddit are understandably negative toward the Irish but like a portal it’s a 2-way street:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yeah, its not worth the risk in terms of damage to tourism to have it where it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The lewd stuff is just a bit thick.

The 9/11 stuff is more worrying and as there are photos of the perpetrators they should be charged with some public order offence if possible.

It shouldn't be moved the novelty will wear off the idiots give it a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They could call it the arse portal. I admit I am tempted to show mine off lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Those that gave this the go-ahead must have known full well how this was going to end up just given that area. Mind boggling how out of touch some are.

It should be moved because there is no benefit to it being there. It's the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

People acting thick in that location should have been expected.

I think the police should spend their time on more important matters than trying to stop or prosecute after the fact people acting the maggot in front of the thing. Maybe someone will show a picture of a dead child from Gaza and that finally will prompt them to move the damn thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah I doubt those places are smack bang in an area full of gremlins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Madness putting this on North Earl Street, surely it would have been better located around College Green, Grafton Street or Stephens Green. It will always attract "ne'er-do-wells" but having it there is just an invitation for them to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I am unconvinced that the denizens of College Green are any less opposed to acting thick past a certain hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭yagan

Who's surprised?

Social media is anti social, so making it large portal sized only ups the challenge for arsewipes.

Besides having worked very near there I'd call that part of Dublin a general dumping ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's the old "Ah sure be grand" attitude that is so prevalent in public life here. No one seems to have an iota of how to do a basic risk assessment around it. That would quickly have told the officials it was the wrong location.

Some amount of degenerates down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

You forgot to mention the fella that was snorting coke and Shite in a bucket Baldy 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

This was always going to happen, but having various sorts of jackeen pondlife using it is not good for the image of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why would anyone in Dublin want to see New York through a portal in the first place?

I can understand why Dubliners didn't take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Your man was sure going at the powder and the crowd in Dublin were loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It is genius to put it there, it is an attempt to change the area a bit, waiting for vegan cafes, independent coffee shops, and musicians and artists moving into the area takes too long.

We are planning to go and see it and will have a coffee or lunch nearby, it's drawing different people into the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SteM

Why will the vegan cafes, independent coffee shops etc be opening up now? That area of Dublin has always been the same, hasn't changed in decades. Skangerdom is ingrained there, you having a coffee there isn't going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"drawing people into the area" 🙄 it's just off O'Connell Street ffs.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement