Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The twilight zone 😊😊. If it was an ice she wouldn't put fuel in it either 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I investigated. It's the flimsiest reason imaginable: There won't be enough grid energy. She even admits that there are new renewable energy projects ready to go, but they're not yet connected to the grid and this is a major problem for 2035. Like WTAF?

The same arguments were rolled out when streaming services started. I suppose we won't have them by over a decade ago either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

To meet national climate targets, grid investment needs to nearly double by 2030 to over USD 600 billion per year after over a decade of stagnation at the global level,

For Australia to roll out renewables and connect them will need at least 10,000 km of additional transmission lines.

It's quite bonkers when there is a thread derailing alternative that is far cheaper.

NASA just named an asteroid after Sabine, which is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Forgetting the fact that the roll out of renewables has to happen anyway. Supposedly intelligent people wallowing in their own poop here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

Australia has already explained why that alternative won't happen.

https://www.climatecouncil.org.au/nuclear-power-stations-are-not-appropriate-for-australia-and-probably-never-will-be/

As regards the 10,000km of new lines, that's not a particularly big number for a country the size of Australia with a dispersed population. And much of that will be through territory where there won't be the same problem getting planning permission unlike here where it can take decades to get one new transmission line approved.

And your energy market operator CEO has said:

“There is no doubt renewable solar and wind generation are the cheapest replacement technology for those retiring coal power stations, even taking into account firming and integration costs.

https://www.energymagazine.com.au/aemo-energy-transition-needs-10000km-of-new-transmission/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The internet will provide quotable notables from named individuals at the behest of those devoid of sentient arguments

-Woodrow Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nuclear is about the most expensive form of new to be deployed electricity generation. Along with coal. No smart state will ever start to plan to build a new nuclear plant again. Get with the times dude. I've never been opposed to nuclear, but the horse has bolted on that one.

You are totally and completely wrong, nuclear is far cheaper than renewables if you buy Korean APR-1400s from Korean Hydro and Nuclear Power, which have recently completed two reactors at Shin-Hanul power plant in S Korea and are currently building units 3&4. They just offered to build 6 for Poland at the same price as those two. In addition to the four they built for the Barakah NPP in the UAE, which came in at a bit more per GW than the other examples I mentioned, but still way cheaper than the cost of OSW off Scotland in the form of the recently completed East Anglia One and under construction Dogger Bank - the world's largest OSW farm project.

East Anglia One cost $4.37 billion per GW of capacity, Dogger Bank is costing $3.12 billion. While the Barakah NPP cost $4.36 billion per GW and the Shin-Hanul/Polish price is $3.18 billion per GW.

The reason I said far cheaper is that the OSW mentioned has a capacity factor of around 47% while an APR-1400 based plant has a 96% capacity factor. You need to double those OSW prices to even begin to compare like for like, let alone add the cost of battery/hydrogen/whatever storage system you want to use to make a renewable perform like a baseload.

Solar is so much worse as it's $1.9 billion per GW for a pitiful 11% capacity factor here in Ireland.

No, the UAE did not use slave labour as the cost was higher than in Korea and what Poland has been offered and higher still compared to the earlier Shin-Hanul units 1&2 - so far they only look to be taking two due to trying to suck up to the US for geopolitical defence reasons, so will likely have to pay a bit more per unit.

Currently Czechia also looks to be after APR-1400s, as are the Netherlands. No one in their right mind is basing nuclear prices on the current financial disasters in the UK and France. They have lost their nuclear mojo, Korea hasn't and is on a roll.

If you have an open mind and truly want to find out what's the most expensive form of power generation, then I suggest you run the numbers on floating offshore wind. There are 3 main commercial scale projects; Hywind Scotland, Hywind Tampen and Kincardine OSWF. I could give you the numbers, but it's not Halloween yet.

The $24 billion price tag was in 2015 money, how much would that be post inflation for 9 years?

That price tag also represented a 20% coat overrun on the original estimate, did later quotes account for this or did they just magically wave it away to make it look cheaper?

• Advertisement

Did you miss the bit where the current Korean builds and the Polish offer price are lower? Even with that cost overrun, Barakah's final cost is still way cheaper than OSW in this region, it doesn't make a deal breaking amount of difference. OSW seems to need free finance, as many major projects have been cancelled due to cost increases.

Oh, and when doing that earlier cost comparrison, I forgot one of the vital considerations that doubles the difference in favour of nuclear, and that's plant longevity. OSW farms have a 30 year lifespan if you spend an additional 26-30% of the original capital cost on operations and maintainance, whereas these NPPs have a design life of 60 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

Are you comparing the Korean NPP costs with Off Shore Floating Wind or Off Shore Fixed Bottom?

Fixed bottom; Dogger Bank and East Anglia One.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Well, this is random…

Hertz charged a Model 3 renter $277.39 to refuel it after returning it. Not recharge (which is a different chargeable item), refuel. He tried to get them to see sense, but they wouldn't back down, until after the media got hold of the story.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/hertz-is-charging-tesla-model-3-renter-277-fee-for-gas-wont-back-down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

^^ LOL!

Next time, leave one window slightly open and refuel the cabin to the brim. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

This Kona Ev comes with full tank of fuel! Also timing belt etc under 2 year warranty ;-)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/202-hyundai-kona-premium-high-spec-2yr-warranty/36793478

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I wonder will it ever see the light of day? I hope so. Airbags, crash protection, gyro scopes and still as maneuverable as a motorbike almost and electric.

What more could one want.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

I passed someone today leaving City North in an ID3 with their charging port open and the DC plug hanging out, I tried to signal them but they were too fast.

I passed them 20 minutes later on the M50 in driving rain and they still hadn't noticed.

If rain gets into an open charging port could it cause much damage l wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

I had to read your post twice😊 thought the cable was hanging out. It's hard to miss an open charging door in your mirror, like a big air brake.

Unlikely to cause damage, but who knows…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭denismc

I know our Hyundai throws a warning if you leave the charge port open, I don't know if it would have helped in this case, the owner seemed to be very focused on getting to wherever they were going , a brand new ID3 as well.

Another reason not to buy an EV I guess, charge door doesn't close itself.🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I used to do the same in the born the odd time, unplug, hang up the cable, forget to close the port, drive off.…usually spotted it in the mirror quickly though.

Haven't done it in a long time now though

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Ir3

A Tesla closes itself, just assumed they all would!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Strange that it doesn't warn you the door is open the Superb IV definitely warned me if the door was open.

I had an issue a while back where the locking mechanism failed and the door would spring open. Might be something similar, although if they left the DC cover hanging off then they probably forgot

I had to read it twice as well, had a mental image of an Ionity charger being dragged down the M1

By itself, getting some rain in the charge port shouldn't cause damage. However if it's plugged in before it dries out then I guess there's potential for some arcing between the contacts.

If that happens repeatedly over time then it would probably damage the connector

Once you're above 80 it blows shut in the wind 😂

I know this from experience 🫣

They don't close themselves in an ICE car either 😉

I'm genuinely wondering now how many people drive around with the fuel cap hanging open. I can't imagine rain getting into the fuel would be good, although I assume the fuel filters must have some water separation in them

I knew one guy who had no cover on his fuel tank because the scrotes who siphoned his fuel one time also broke the flap and stole the cap

Doesn't something similar already exist as a 3 wheeler? I definitely remember seeing this 3 wheel scooters (2 front, 1 rear wheel) driving around. Pretty sure they had a windscreen and roof as well

You could always get a Twizy and skip the self balancing

Speaking of, I spotted one twizzing (yeah, I said it) around Dublin recently. Looked like it had some extra wide tyres, the kind you'd see on a go kart

Whoever was driving was having way too much fun blasting away from traffic on a green light

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Piaggio MP3

You're licensed to ride it with just a car license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

It depends when you passed your test if they are classed as a trike, for driving on a car license. The rule changed about 10/12 years ago I think.

Qooder also do a version in 3 or 4 wheels. Even had an EV version of the 4 wheeler for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭gossamerfabric

The US is looking for 102.5% tariff for Chinese cars. If that happens then China will dump cars in Europe and then tariffs in Europe are a certainty

E.U. investigation in to unfair trade from China will reach a stage where tariffs can be introduced from July.

If Chinese cars are put at a disadvantage then expect discounts on MSRP to evaporate for European and Korean EVs as the competition from China will be kicked off the playing field.

Advertisement