Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fert Sowers

• 07-05-2024 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭

We are thinking of updating our small vicon wagtail fert spreader to one capable of taking at least 1 large bag. The fields are small and we really only sow for silage and a small bit of grass.

What are the decent irons or there for 1 bag spreaders and what should we look out for?

Wagtail vs spinner?

Ease/accuracy of calibration?

Corrosion resistance?

Hyd or manual shut off?

Thinking that a decent second hand item would be sufficient for us.

Is there any to avoid or look out for on the used market - thinking that calibration and accuracy of spread would be an issue with used Amazones and the like. They'd probably be out of our pocket depth anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

If the fields are small, you're probably as well to stick with a wagtail. Most of the spinners throw the fert very wide, and you'd end up with a lot of overlap in small or irregular shaped fields. There are plenty of imitations of the original Vicon, but a good used genuine Vicon might be as good an option as any of them. One thing I heard criticised about some of the imitation Vicons is that they had a very short spout, which didn't throw the fert as well as the longer spout would.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭V6400

I have an 800kg cosmo hydraulic shut off spreader and find it very good and still plenty of space with a bulk bag in so it’s not spilling out on hills or bumps. Same gearbox as the vision and 3 different setting for spread widths. Small fields here too so keep it on the narrow setting but only takes seconds to change to wider spread widths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭V6400

Without, can get an extension to make it a 1 tonne spreader but I don’t know how the extension would stand up to filling with 50kg bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

I bought a tow behind 500kg spreader last year. Its dead handy as I can load a big bag with the tractor and then hook it on. The spinner works via a dog clutch on the wheel axel. The only problem is that its hard to engage/open from the cab, I have to tie some twine onto the handle to pull. And once its open you really need to keep going until empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Another thing to remember is to get something light, if like me you are doing small bits, now and then. I have a big amazon in the shed for years, a bitch to put on, I got a lovely small rauch 10 small bag spinner that can be put on and off with one hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I be very reluctant to buy a second hand wagtail. I had two of them, most lads that sell them or trade them do it for a reason. If I was buying a wagtail, I go new. I try to get a hydraulic shut off if possible

You will pick up small second had spinner's handy enough. Lots of lads trading up. Usually any fertlizer rated to take 500 kgsis really only capable of taking 300kgs. Try to buy one rated at 1 ton, it will take 500 kgs comfortably.

Just Saw these wagtails on DD.

https://www.donedeal.ie/fertiliserspreaders-for-sale/rhino-fertilizer-wagtail-spreader/36943132

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

1 tonne cosmo here, can comfortably take 2 500 kg bags. That spreader is still high money for only holding 800 kg of fertiliser.

Post edited by Jb1989 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am not sure what way tge prices of spreaders are at present. I had two second hand wagtails. Both were troublesome. 6+ years ago I but tge bullet and bought a Teagke 480 with hydraulic shut offit cist 3.5k. There is little difference in price when you step up in size of spreaders the time the 240 was about a thousand cheaper but I think it had only one spinner on it and there was some other extra. Often the only difference between sizes is a bigger frame and hopper. For instance the only difference between the 800 and 1200 machines is the extension on the hopper. It quite possible its only the frame and hopper is the difference between the 60 and 800.

Ideally you want to 3-4 inches minimum of clearance above the fertlizer after loading. What I like is the galvanised frames as opposed to powder coated. Here us a second hand Abbey tgat looks in VGC but it's probably will not the a big bag it has a 425L hopper. As opposed to that it has hydraulic shut off. They are looking for 1700 euro. You will pay1200+ for anything not too ropey but you have little come back on secondhand as the warranty ends usually as your brake light cone on going out the gate

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

https://www.donedeal.ie/fertiliserspreaders-for-sale/rhino-syntra-800lt-twin-disc/36970828

• Advertisement

Smart looking machine for the price. Any idea what they are like to calibrate - do all machines now have a standard calibration setup or do they all do their own thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Go to Gerard Kennedy beside you and buy a Teagle wagtail, will do all you need for decent money. Hydraulic opening, light to lift on and off and holds a 600kg bag, as long as you're not driving vertically.

Will probably end up there. I thought Teagle were all spinners - XT24.

I seen he is shifting a fair few Abbey wagtail spreaders which would suit us. Might head over some time and see what he has. Man shifts a serious amount of stock.

Advertisement