Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ah ok. Thanks. Was charging at Lidl. Obviously not shopping at Lidl though, easygo unit said it had taken 11kWh when I arrived. Guessing a 3kW onboard charger so there a long long time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

13kWh battery and 3.6kW charger so yea, there a long time alright.

Serious money for what it is.... €46k OTR! 🤑

Ouch! Buyers remorse if that was me. €46k gives you a whole lot of options, and those don't involve 4 hours of Public charging to save €2.50 to drive 40-60km. Seems like they don't realise the value of their time or money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

How do you know he does not value his time or money? If I need to buy a car that requires me to drive slow or divert to a charger, which may work or maybe be in use, I would consider that a waste of time and money. I see a person who bought a car, can park it up and charge it and can possibly do 100km or more in a day without spending any money on petrol. Maybe they like golfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I have a 211 GTE. The charging speed is annoying alright, I rarely use public chargers, if I do it's because they happen to be where I'm going anyway and I plug in while I'm there. I can get maybe 15-20km range while shopping for example, not great but it's more range than I used to get there so it's pretty decent.

• Advertisement

Because for 46k they could of got a 4-500km Bev. Most likely far more distance than they're doing in the phev in 1 go. For most, a 46k EV means they don't need to public charge.

They're spending their time driving to, walking from, walking to and driving to the free charger to save €2.50 and drive 50km for free. To me, that's a waste of time.

They won't get anything near 100km on the battery alone.

You don't buy a phev to drive 300km+ without stopping. The battery is a waste of money if that's your driving scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

if the charger is free then its 5 euro saving, sure they would get 100 km or more with 2 charges, most likely scenario with your friend beside you, was that he was working nearby and got a full 50-60 km charge for going home. A waste of time would be to go a charger at a shop and not shop.

I drove 200 km last Tuesday week then stopped at a hospital and then went home 200 km, without stopping or diverting or praying for a charger to be working. All other trips are covered by my waste of money battery, suits me, suits others as well. I would prefer to pay for the convenience/petrol expense of a phev rather on hoping, wishing, slip streaming BEV.

The only people that drive or walk to a charger are those who want to or those who have to. When people have made enough fun of phevs here its back to complaining about Ecars or 3 cars waiting at a charger, these things I see regularly but I could not be arse'd rubbing your noses in it, 30 minute wait or enough capacity to get you to the next charger lol.

I see an ID3 losing 8 % capacity, something I considered when I bought my first phev, that if battery capacity dropped I would still have enough to suit daily needs. Its still not a proven tech, first leafs are crap, Hyundai battery recall, Tesla owners praying there battery gives up b4 warranty runs out, I for one cannot recommend a BEV, a safer bet would be a phev and maybe if I liked it a golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dk1989

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a used e golf possibly 2019 or so. I'm starting a new job which is less than 10k away and also already have a diesel Tucson for long journeys. Does anyone recommend the e golf that's had it? Any issues regarding battery etc

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Similar position to yourself (short commute, no regular long runs down the country), picked up a low miles 2019 eGolf Executive Edition with 96.5% battery health, lovely car but knew what I was buying into as had a petrol Highline before that. Much prefer the more tactile Golf controls versus the likes of ID3 haptic. Very happy with my decision.

Don’t do regular long trips and you won’t be disappointed. For irregular long trips, be prepared to plan ahead (or take the diesel!).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

I had an e-golf for a couple of years and loved it. 1 car family so traded into an ID3 for the extra range.

e-golf is a nicer car in every other way though; feels more quality, no software issues, more efficient despite not being designed as an ev from the drawing board. mine had the heat pump so in fact winter range isn't that far off the ID3 anyway, especially if you're doing short hops like your commute and heating the cabin each time.

in your scenario it's a perfect 2nd car. the only caveat is that you'll enjoy it so much that you'll end up wishing it had more range so that you can ditch the Tucson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stumper931

I have a 2019 and it’s a grand commuter car even longer journeys aren’t to bad. Mine doesn’t have heat pump and it’s definitely an option I wish it had but my daily round trip is about 50km so still good for a few days between charges. I’ve had no issues with the car at all so if the range works for you go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Be careful if anyone is considering this bargain e-Golf. It’s 2017 registered but it would appear it’s the earlier small battery version based on a reg check with Cartell/Motorcheck.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/36683425

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks for that, I was reading thru that ad earlier today thinking this is decent - but I see the seller is being a bit economical with the truth there (hasn't mentioned battery range).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I was about to post it in the “Bargain Alerts” until I realised it was the older version with the smaller battery pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A later eGolf is like eUp just vastly better equipped, more comfortable, bigger boot and takes 5 passengers at a pinch. If the eUp is a fantastic city car, then eGolf is a better one.

While the eGolf not ideal for longer journeys. You still get 150-200km and 40kw DC charging. Which is enough for many people.

If your doing long journeys on a regular basis then an ID3 is makes more sense.

Advertisement