Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Musicrules

It was an event without the big dogs. Like it or not, a lot of the big dogs are on the liv tour now. Rory hasn't won a major in 10 years and I think that's mainly down to the pressure of them. For that reason no one should be hexing him and no way should he be favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Has a member of the LIV tour won a major yet whilst being a member of LIV?

I don't think so. They all haven't been members for too long though. Liv have the most successful major winner of this generation. They have Rambo, they have Smith, they have Dechambeau, they have tons of majors amongst their tour. If you don't think that strengthens the major field then you're just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭bren2001

You said it was a weak field. They have a statistical measure for that. 290 is not a weak field. There is zero data to say the field was weak.

• Advertisement

Like it or not, every field is weakened without the Liv guys. It was also a restricted event. Only 68 players teed up. So maybe calling it a weak field was a bit strong but definitely was severely weakened without Scheffler and the others all missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Those are fair points.
    Nonetheless you have now ruled him out as a favourite because he has won tournaments back to back yet also rule him out as a favourite because of the s.o.f of those events!

That doesn’t stand to reason.

Notwithstanding the fact that all of the bookmakers make him a favourite behind SS.

Are they also all wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

My thoughts are that moving to LIV reduces those players chances of winning more majors, purely my opinion and only time will tell with the likes of Rahm & Smith

The term you were looking for is "elevated event" meaning the field should be higher than your average PGA Tour event as those who qualify are only allowed miss one per season. The entire purpose of these events is to bring the big players together more often. There is a way of measuring how good the field is, its called the strength of field. 290 is a big number. That's not a weak field by any stretch of the imagination.

I've not mentioned anything about LIV. The biggest player missing is Rahm, of course he improves the quality at any event. As do one or two others at LIV. And yes, if Scottie turns up, its a tougher event to win. It wasn't a major. In recent history never do you get all the big players turning up to non-major events (or the Players). We don't call every non-major a weak field.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rory isn't favourite, not sure where you're getting that from.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Already altered to weakened field which I think is fair.

2nd favourite. Expectations have been his downfall on numerous occasions so I don't like how this build up is going. His performance in one tournament shouldn't override the poor form previously. Prior to Quail Hollow, I don't think many would give him much of a chance.

Rory is always going to be one of the favourites because he's that good. Yeah expectations might be a little higher than usual but it's something he's well used to at this stage.

He's gone into tournaments not playing as well with lower expectations and it hasn't gone any better for him. He hasn't had his best stuff this year but he already has 3 wins in the bag and it's only May.

No major for 10 years and most would expect that to continue although lot's would love to see him do it. Scottie is the huge favourite and rightly so and it's very hard to look past him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Well the PGA Tour website have him number 1 in their power rankings for this ahead of Scheffler.

Look it doesn't matter what we say on here, he'll either win or he won't. Rory is never going to be under the radar for a major, he's just too good for that.

It was his stated plan this year to play a lot more earlier in the year with the hope to hit top form earlier for the Major season, didn't quite work for the Masters, but he's looking as good as he has in a long, long time for the USPGA.

Rory plays his best when he has some cockiness about him. He needed those wins to make sure the cockiness was a bit more than superficial. It needs to be deeper so it doesn't evaporate as soon as he has some adversity or the ball isn't going exactly where he wants it to.

All we hope is that we're up late Sunday night cheering him on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

He's getting divorced….he's going to win by 5!

https://x.com/NUCLRGOLF/status/1790413869325648203

In all seriousness thats sad if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Who knows if its true but it shows like any of us on here there are things going on in life away from golf. Obviously if true this could have been taking a serious mental toll on him and hard to fully concentrate on golf. Getting something like that out in the open might be a huge relief and we might see him playing great golf as a result of less on his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Would love him to win but had to pick Scottie ahead of him in same pool.

For once i would love to lose just to see him win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Advertisement

Rory McIlroy files for divorce from wife Erica Stoll

Rory McIlroy has filed for divorce from his wife Erica Stoll.

Divorce papers were officially filed on Monday in a Florida court, seven years after the couple tied the knot in a lavish ceremony at Ashford Castle.

Rory McIlroy’s communications team confirmed today that a divorce has been filed.

They stressed Rory's desire to ensure this difficult time is as respectful and amicable as possible. He will not be making any further comment.

Rory McIlroy and Erica Stoll

The news will come as a shock to the golfing world where Ms Stoll is often seen cheering her husband (35) on during tournaments.

However, she was notably absent from the sidelines at the Masters in Augusta last month.

In another sign that something was amiss in recent days, Mr McIlroy paid tribute to his mother at the weekend for US Mother’s Day, but did not mention the mother of his daughter Poppy.

The couple share a daughter who was born in August 2020.

Erica had already been very involved in the golfing world before she met Rory as she had been working for the American PGA since 2008.

Rory famously first met Erica in 2012 during the Ryder Cup when she helped him make his tee time for a Sunday singles match after he overslept.

She was working as the manager of the Championship Volunteer Operations for the organisation in 2011 and it was then that the stars aligned and she helped him get to his tee on time during the 2012 Ryder Cup.

The couple officially became an item in 2015 but still kept their relationship under wraps and have maintained a high level of privacy about their personal life.

Erica has been happy to stay out of the limelight and away from the cameras.

She no longer works for the PGA and she had been traveling the world by her husband's side, supporting him at a number of major tournaments. She even acted as his caddie in the 2018 Masters Par-3 Contest for the first time.

In 2017 more than 200 guests attended their sumptuous wedding at the 350 acre Ashford Castle estate.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 24 animajic

That's sad news. What he's achieved the last couple of outings is quite impressive given that he's obviously been going through a lot away from the course

It might actually explain his poor form mixed with victories this season. Very erratic. I hope they end the relationship amicably and their privacy is respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Interestingly he won a major soon after ending his relationship/wedding plans with Caroline Wozniaki.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Big monkey off Mcilroys back...freed him up last week...

I predict big things for him this week also....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GolfPar

And everyone thought Harry was the problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Pre nup in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Excuses streaming in for his failure to win majors. Im not buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Advertisement