Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Lankum, they're a modern folk/trad band from Dublin. Used to be called Lynched but changed their name a few years ago when they got notions of conquering the States

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭bren2001

I assume you mean "hang their heads" in shame…? 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Well that's what the fees for Blackrock College buys you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

That political pod was so funny. I've never heard the Bouzouki been mentioned so many times before. The comedic timing, Partridge-esque line of "but crucially, it has space for the bouzouki!", said so seriously, and Ken trying to hold back his laughter. I also loved Ken's listing of Ó'Broin's 2023 summer reading list, all Carl Schmitt books. Even better when Ó'Broin says I'll only bore you with the details talking about these books, and Ken's reply of "try me.". He'd love nothing better haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

At the start he was talking about the far right groups having all these complaints and not being able to offer any solutions. He went on for a few minutes saying rhetoric like that and I just thought, this makes them sound exactly like Sinn Fein in government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I tried to listen to the politics pod. I really did. Such waffle.

I'd like Ken to interrogate a politician about their specific policies, specific actions they'd take, things like that. (actually, I'd prefer if Eoin did that). But this was tripe.

I said it before I think, I've found the political pods to be nearly all bad. A political pod hosted by Eoin would be a current affairs show, and not a debate you'd hear in student politics instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,631 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Quite enjoyed that pod myself.

I don’t think we’ll ever see an adversarial approach to a pod like that, it’s just not the lads style. They definitely much prefer a conversational approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hurling... Our sport... The Greatest Sport That Was Ever Played By Any Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

With about six counties of a decent quality. He should have said greatest pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jaysus! Had a very busy day, hadn't seen the scores, just checked there. Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ne'er mind whining about GAA Go, trying to watch The Sunday (Saturday) Game back on the RTE player is a struggle worthy of a mention somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Way too much Branno lately.

Such a try-hard hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭halfpastneverr

O'Broin came across as very Gerry Lynch in Intermission, with his fondness for Celtic artistes! I dunno, a lot of words said, but very little of substance or alternative solutions were provided. The bit about engaging with the communities before moving hundreds of IPA's into an area is the only real, good idea he said but I don't know if that would even help anymore, seeing the hysteria surrounding anything to do with the subject. If the government had done that from the start it might have helped a bit. I think that horse has bolted now.

I cannot stand that Branno lad at all, sounds like such a smug, know-it-all all hipster from any bits I've heard of him. His soundbeds are rubbish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭bren2001

Personally, I love Branno and would happily listen to more of him on the pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭jaykay74

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I like Branno talking about the LOI and his trips to football grounds. Don't really care for his opinions on politics or films etc

• Registered Users Posts: 31,631 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, agreed, he's grand on league of Ireland stuff, but it's the other lads I've signed up for, and if he's talking it means someone I prefer isn't. And as you say, especially on politics or movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

That Arsenal/Henry/Nothing compares to You audiobed is by far the worst one. Would love for it to be scrapped.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Don't think we'd have had the GAAGO chat this week if Limerick won the match by 2-26 to 0-15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i was thinking exactly this when ken (i think) said 'we knew all week this was gonna be a great game'. no we didn't know this.

they never mentioned the video quality of gaago compared to rte. they're getting the compression wrong or something on gaago, the sliothar can be really hard to see in the air! you might think i'm talking poop, but look at the gaago titles when it transitions to then, it's very pixelated for the first few frames, then it's good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I love it.

Murph a bit tone deaf on GAAGo imo, going to matches IS expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Dante

Why did they stop making regular audiobeds?

They were putting out great audiobeds regularly up until around 3 years ago, we very rarely get anything now.

I found it was a great way to freshen things up, I'm getting very bored of hearing the same audiobeds rehashed over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

I love when Ken starts winding Murph up about anything GAA related. It's such an enjoyable dynamic with them disagreeing on these things and Eoin stirring the pot. It's why i'm a world service member :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭joinme

How do we know which sound beds Branno has produced as opposed to Simon or Mark? Genuine question, as they are never credited to anyone in particular afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That Eoin O'Broin podcast was hard going.

Thought it was peculiar when talking about his experiences as a young Irish man living in London in the 90s he totally "forgot" to mention that IRA bombs were going off in that city at the time - that might have had something to do with how Irish people were perceived and treated.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

In fairness, Irish people have been treated quite poorly by English people long before the IRA even existed so not really relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Mark doesn’t seem to be around much these days, hence Branno’s presence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Dante

Ah yes, that would explain it. I forgot he used to do a lot of the audiobeds.

I guess he left for greener pastures to do the George Gibney podcast etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yeah his argument was so narrow-minded, saying if you wanted to go you could have bought a ticket up to half an hour before it started. He knows full well there's plenty of people in every county, even football strongholds, who'd have watched that match of it was on.

The fact that rte weren't broadcasting a match at the time, and had a documentary about Hitler on at that time, shows that money is behind the decision.

Advertisement