Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

So you are acknowledging that the general public have an issue, however large or small, with immigration? And you don't think that this might be reflected on this website, and thread, also…

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

If the recent polls are not anomalies, why do you think this thread is?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Have you read my posts in the last page or two ?

If you have you will see that I do acknowledge that of course.

However this thread imo has jumped the shark with the sheer number of anti posts

Do I think it's representative of boards or the general public ? Not in such extremity , no .

See above two posts .

No offence sorry just don't want to be repeating .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Fair enough. I have been reading and following the thread, and the senitment is clear. Hence, the abundance of "anti" posts. Despite the misgivings and deflection tactics of a few on here (not you), recent polls don't lie.

• Advertisement

Which polls are you talking about ? I was talking about boards, DMC .

Sure some of the polls out there (real world ) have been capturing a different picture .

Just to clarify my initial post on this was in reply to a poster who was telling another here that he was a minority view on the thread here .

So that was why I was discussing this thread concentration in respect to the rest of CA for example .

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/02/10/majority-favour-more-closed-immigration-policy-to-reduce-number-of-people-coming-to-ireland/

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/poll-50pc-in-favour-of-migrant-checkpoints-at-the-border-with-northern-ireland/a420206090.html

I know it could be a case of lies, damned lies, and statistics, but whatever way the figures are spun, it's obvious the general public are concerned with our immigration policy. My point being - surely it is not out of the ordinary to see this rhetoric reflected in a thread on Boards.

And calling him Michael is an insult to a really good honest person who died early last year and did so much good and helped so many in his lifetime ..RIP Prof Michael O'Keeffe .

Speaking of the planet of wishful woolly thinking , I wonder who said this yesterday ..@ Furze 99

"Maybe another crash is needed to bring the state to it's senses. Tighten the belt, cut all the fat out of the public services, stop wasting money on non nationals & vanity projects - concentrate on the essentials that the Irish public need."

Now that sure is not something I think "the majority" would support ! Another crash ?

What sort of nonsense would a person who thinks this in any circumstance would be ok be thinking or believing in .

Disappearing down that rabbit hole.

Just to add have tried repeatedly to quote post /er to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Again, we're back to the Govt advisers - Think it was Michael Ring that said recently - 'They need to stop listening to the NGOs and advisers', talking about his own Govt. No fan of the guy but he's in a far better position than anyone here to comment.

The dumb-assed advisers listened to the minority of really, really loud lib-lefties - They also listened to their own small circle of middle class friends and colleagues that were of a liberal bent and assumed that was the way the country felt, and advised accordingly.

This advice was taken onboard by the cretins in Govt and they confidently proceeded to work on the basis of this flawed advice

So what happens then?

Well, McEntee proceeds to devote her time to 'Coercive control laws' (not a bad thing in itself, but not a priority imo) and the 'Hate speech virtue signaling' rubbish, as Dublin and other places became lawless kips with feral scobies running amok.

All this as the country is abused by economic migrants and we become the laughing stock of the world

Govt advisers can't understand the pushback against this influx (as nobody was against it at the dinner parties they attended in Goatstown and Blackrock)

They reckon the only way to deal with this is to gaslight the entire country (insinuating they're likely big racist feckers) for two years with their best buddies, RTE, totally on board

Then we get to the recent referendums - More virtue signaling crap and the general population gave a great big 'fook you' to the Govt

The current position is basically the Govt and their advisers sitting in a room with their heads in their hands saying - 'Oh bollocks'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i'm not sure how we're the laughing stock of the world if pretty much every other rich country in the world has the same issue with not being sure how to deal with migrants

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

I'm a "recently registered" poster - who has had a boards account for 20 years. Like many others, I re-registered.

I'm not sure whether you consider my posts" extreme", but, if so, you really might want to pay more attention to the opinion polls that indicate my views, and those of the majority of posters seem to align rather closely with the views of the majority of Irish people...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Who cares about the Micko quote….typical left response, always after the messenger than the message there in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Sinn Fein supporters who say they want a hard border in Ireland are a weird bunch. It would suggest the party has attracted a lot of voters who don't actually agree with much of their manifesto, but still view them as some sort of 'anti establishment' party.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭REDBULL68

Don't need a border (never worked)it's all about stopping the financial incentive to travel here, many of the migrants have been in other countries, but when it wasn't lucrative to stay there, they moved on ,go to to any post office during the week, western union is on fire with money being sent back to to their families that are living in the war zones ,indeed some are even going home on holiday to the war zones,and posting horrific videos of them and hundreds of people suffering horrific sun tan on the beach ,I'm happy my tax money is paying for your factor 50 ,

I'm not advocating for a hard border at all. Simply relaying the message that people are getting increasingly frustrated about immigration - resulting in this kind of irrational, knee-jerk reponse.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

The following link is from the Australian Red cross and is quite useful to understand the Australian system.

https://www.redcross.org.au/act/help-refugees/refugee-facts/#:~:text=Australia%20reported%20that%20during%20the,lodged%20from%20outside%20of%20Australia.

All AS who arrive by boat illegally without a visa are indefinitely detained offshore with no exceptions.

The only AS who are allowed to remain while their claims are processed are foerign nationals who arrived with a valid visa and subsequently try to claim asylum when the visa expires.

These are often Chinese who came over on a student visa. Chinese people work hard and don't join gangs like some other nationalities so most Australians are ok with the current situation.

It's quite difficult to get a visa and you need to provide all sorts of police background checks and pass an English test.

It's a system that we could easily emulate.

It's quite likely that 3-4 million Irish people are against unlimited illegal immigration into the country. In that number you will have plenty of head the balls as it becomes a larger and larger percentage of the population.

The presence of a few fools doesn't invalidate the opinions of the majority. The NGO's have really been the lunatics running the asylum here for the past couple of years so time for the other side to have a run.

Why should someone be quiet about this issue. It's this fear of causing offence that allows this crazy situation to develop.

All of this could easily have been avoided with a bit of courage and enforcing laws that are already on the statute book both here and at Europe's external borders.

It's time that illegal migration is punished as it is a crime and it does have a huge cost to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I'm not sure about that. I took am a centrist and like to judge each issue in it's merits.

This gets attention cos it's such an obvious visible balls up by the government (similar to children's hospital), and it's been a slow moving car crash for years. Poor or no enforcement of laws and little to no transparency. And people see and feel the effect of this complete balls up every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,688 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

iirc Boards polls were bang on with how the last two referenda would go, long before it was seen in the main. I’ll try find threads. But think both were saying ‘No’ so I don’t believe this thread is wrong or we’re all off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

^ this is who theyre inviting into the country - in their hordes. Not doctors, nurses but freeloaders. This chap will have an Irish passport in a few years. Then he will bring his extended family here and their views on how one should live life will radically differ to yours and mine. Differ radically

Our national broadcaster RTE seem to be under threat not to report on this issue - all we hear is how great it is that economic migrants aka "refugees" are being bussed in their thousands around the country to accommodation that does not exist.

Listening to Brendan O Connnor on Sunday morning news programne will tell you all you need to know. All sunshine n roses. No it isnt, Brendan and you know it.

How on earth can the caretakers of our country - the varadkers, mcentees, o gormans, micheal Martins inflict this upon their people.

Just how ?

It beggars belief. These Statesmen / women are directly responsible for this new Ireland.

The American in the video above can see where this is heading and he's just passing through !!

And where is it heading ? Well, take a ramble thru downtown Luton, Bradford and you'll have a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I had to do that English exam for my visa in Australia, despite being a native English speaker. The test was hilarious, a listening exam, written, and then an oral exam to finish. I was the only native speaker in the room, all the other lads were trying to ask me in broken English what was I doing there. The oral exam was wrapped up after about 30 seconds when the examiner realised I was Irish.

But the rules in Australia when it comes to immigration are the rules. They don't flute around, and it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Guy in combats Looks like a lovely chap… from Dublin? No pal you're not and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think Ukranians are the refugees people are most concerned about, let's be honest. Ukrainian families and their children have integrated really well in to many communities across the country. I don't think we should force them out.

I would say they are the profile of immigrants Ireland needs.

The government should be more nuanced in my opinion. If they have families and are deemrd to be well adjusted in the community I wouldn't cut their welfare.

There are others that need this aproach from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Just on that point, if there were to be another crash, the irony should not escape us that we would end up relying on migration to allow many Irish people to make a good living abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

and on that point this thread is about illegal migration not legal migration - If many Irish decided to arrive in the US or AUS and claim asylum then you might have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It's interesting that you say this. Firstly, as an aside, I agree that the integration of Ukrainians who end up staying in Ireland is not a source of huge concern for me. 10-20 years from now, they will be well-embedded, intermarried and indeed having kids here with Irish spouses and partners. Though we can never be complacent to this — I'd like to see more done to promote the Irish language, Gaelic games, Irish music etc — not so much out of misty eyed cultural preservation but because I think these things offer a unifying cultural band across all children being educated in the State and hopefully a stronger sense of integration.

But the other point here is that the massive influx of IPAs we experienced was directly as a result of the war in Ukraine (and the post Covid international travel bottleneck) otherwise, we really do not take in amounts of IPAs in the normal course that are as earth shattering as many would make out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Do the Irish claim asylum/refugee status or do they apply for visas?

Advertisement