Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If social media is anything to go by there's a lot of anger towards Ukrainians too, people thinking they should just move to a different part of the country etc. I'd be outta there pronto if I thought the Russians would show up sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

They got there eventually - never was sustainable to have some Ukrainians on 230 and others on 38 based purely on how early they fled the war. Typical Irish virtue signalling to be totally out of kilter with the rest of Europe on welfare rates then feign surprise at the "unprecedented" numbers coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I looked a few months back at asylum stats. Less than 10 Irish citizens tried to claim asylum in Australia in 2022 or 2023 and all claims were rejected.

I also know someone that overstayed their visa and was caught. They weren’t asked “pretty please, will you bring yourself to the airport when you're ready and leave?” No, they were arrested, locked up in a cell and when booked, they were brought to the plane. Same process happens in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think the issue is that the welfare system must be fair and not in any way be an advantage to be Ukrainian . The Irish and Eu citizen and those who live here are means tested if they dont have enough PRSI or other EU equivalent contributions . Ukrainians were given €230 a week with no means test no questions asked etc . By all means if they are to stay they must in my opinion be subject to the same means testing as the others who are resident here are .Medical cards were handed out but as far as I know they are now means tested too .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Most have significantly more. It's weird Irish exceptionalism.

• Advertisement

Everything about the Ukrainian system was done for expediency in a time of uncertainty. One can argue about the timeframes, but it makes sense to regularise their situation at this point.

On a purely practical level, the outrage of IPAs would not be as prevalent (I suspect, I don't know obviously) without the Ukrainian situation having hoovered up every last bit of prior available accommodation. It makes the problem far more noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes I understand that but two years later this now must be addressed in my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

The Australians had abandoned the offshoring process. I think they might have re-introduced it in the last year or so under the Liberal gov.

When in operation it didn't seem to have any impact on the relatively small number of boats arriving.

While Operation Sovereign Borders remains controversial, both major parties in Australia - the right-wing Liberals and left-wing Labor - still support the policies behind it. They argue the country's success lies in the policy mix working together to deter asylum seekers.

But there are those who believe the offshore processing had little - if any - impact.

It was re-introduced by Labor in 2012 and the facilities in Papua New Guinea and Nauru quickly filled up.

"Two months in, the government was saying, 'We've already had more people arrive than we'll ever be able to accommodate offshore, and so we're going to start releasing some people into the community in Australia,'" says refugee law expert Madeline Gleeson.

And so the Labor government did a reset - emptying the centres and bringing migrants to Australia, before trying again. This time adding a promise that anyone seeking asylum in Australia by boat would never be settled here, even if they were found to be a refugee.

That didn't seem to slow the number of boats either, Ms Gleeson says.

And so when the Liberal-National coalition took over in late 2013, they pivoted to boat turnbacks - something which Labor had opposed - and the number of migrant boat arrivals dropped dramatically.

One boat arrived in 2014, down from 300 the year before, and no others have arrived since - though it is unknown how many boats have since been intercepted and returned before reaching Australian shores.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64898507

Jobseekers allowance rate in 2022 was €232

Irish resident - Paid a contribution towards rent (hap or council tenant). Paid for their own food, electricity, gas, heating oil, broadband, mobile. They would probably have received a fuel allowance.

Ukrainian - paid for none of the above

Who had more money in their pocket at the end of the week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The thinking behind the Ukraine rate cuts is that in doing so it may encourage anyone on the fence about being in Ireland to return, thereby freeing up accommodation which can be used to relieve the accommodation shortage which is leading to the tent cities around the capital.

The next step after the welfare cuts will be sunset clauses on the state provided accommodation I'm sure.

Ivan Yates flagged this on his podcast last Friday. Seems there's a certain level of impetus to actually address some of the facets of this challenge under the new Taoiseach that wasn't there when the personification of arrogance was in charge of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Damien360

the changes have nothing to do with change of Taoiseach. It’s panic over election outcome. Harris has been on the cabinet on this time. I should note that all of the recent messaging is government is too look at various aspects. Nothing concrete. It’s talk. They have had 2 years of taxpayers pointing out the wrongs here and they did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I might have a point? Is what I said a factual statement or not? Irish migrants abroad are economic migrants either needing to move abroad to find better work/pay or, in many cases, simply looking for a different experience of life and to have fun (the ultimate expression of the privilege we enjoy in the Western world when it comes to migration really).

Whether they do so legally or illegally, the base element that connects all migrants is there — they are all people going abroad to find something they perceive to be better for themselves. Whether it's survival, climbing out of poverty, or wanting to surf on Bondi Beach after clocking off for the week from a corporate law firm in Sydney — the base connecting element remains. They also all take up space, resources and housing, regardless of whatever contributions they make.

For some reason, the mere mention of this does seem to really grind people. It's almost like a knee-jerk reaction of "he's saying the Irish migrate too so it's OK for other migrants to come here in uncontrolled numbers". But the comparison is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'd love to know where these ideas about Australia's system as some sort of ideal solution come from.

While they've had some success physically turning back boats (which has been tried and failed in the EU), they still have problems.

A recent report, the Nixon report, was highly critical of their politically motivated emphasis on stopping a small boats, highlighting the growing problems they now have with abuses of the visa system.

A scathing secret report has found poor management of the nation’s already inadequate immigration and visa laws and a focus on stopping boat arrivals allowed organised crime syndicates involved in human trafficking and drug smuggling to flourish.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/grotesque-abuses-secret-review-of-migration-system-scathing-of-failures-20230419-p5d1ms.html

Ms Nixon found the immigration system was “seriously and systemically” broken, allowing for the perpetration of sexual slavery, human trafficking, and organised crime to go virtually unchecked.

She concluded migrant worker exploitation was essentially a design feature of the system, and urged the government to protect temporary migrants from the “grotesque abuses” as a matter of urgency.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/turned-a-blind-eye-peter-dutton-savaged-by-government-after-damning-review-of-australian-visa-system/news-story/dfe61e5421d49ee52d3d12a25c0dbd65

there was a lot of moaning on australian reddit when an article was posted there from an irish paper saying 20-odd thousand irish people were moving to australia this year. now vast majority would be temporary working holiday visa people, i did it too, but they have a massive housing crisis in australia too and you can understand why they'd see this as adding extra pressure. it's so much easier for people to bounce around the world these days than it used to be.

i'm not saying this means everyone in the world should be able to move to ireland, but our economic/sun-seeking migrants are subjected to some of the same rhetoric too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

One point worth making is that there are non stop ads for western Austria here in Ireland for skilled workers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

What we gave to the Ukrainians was beyond mental. We tried to outbid the rest of Europe of hostest with the mostest. But the money spent on bringing their pets here for me was simply crazy.

i know, most of the 20,000 though would just be young people on WHVs though for a year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Repro212

Indeed, given Ireland's strategic position for the illegal drugs trade and some of the nationalities establishing themselves here, you don't need a crystal ball to foresee what's coming in the years ahead as they each vie for control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

In that case then no, you don’t have a point in the context of this thread and the general public discourse on this matter.

I can’t speak for everyone but as it’s been pointed out by many posters on this thread legal inward migration is not something that bothers most people opposed to Illigeal bogus asylum claims for economic benefit.(the subject of this thread)

Again there is an attempt to muddy the waters by indirectly conflating two totally independent issues with two totally different public opinions.

And in relation to your base elements bit, yes that’s true but one group pays for themselves the other does not. One is a burden to the state/society the other is an asset(in most cases)

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Advertisement

The Australian government adjust their visas as and when needed. The working holiday visa is for one year and can be extended for a second year if you do an agricultural type job like strawberry picking. For a while it was extended to a third year.

They are always updating their critical skills list too depending on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Can see this ending well.

believe me lots of irish scammers got farmers to sign off on things for a few quid so they could get the second year, at least they used to

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

Their pets were microchipped, vaccinated & registered by the Irish Dept of Agriculture on arrival at Irish ports and points of entry, and their location was fully traceable until they passed the 21 day rabies vaccine quarentine period.

We need to replace our immigration officals with Dept of Agriculture vets !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Maybe so… but they would not have been on my priority list. Cracked so we are. Irish Taxpayer = Government ATM to do what the **** they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The working assumption in February 2022 was that the war in Ukraine would last perhaps three to six or seven months, followed by some sort of permanent ceasefire and gradual return to normal life in Ukraine. Nobody guessed that the war would go on for several years. The government were caught napping and thought they were dealing with a temporary mass influx of refugees but that the situation would resolve itself in less than a year and many would quickly be able to return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

The above is from 2012 so not relevant. Considering there are 3 billion people within a direct flight of Sydney who are substantially poorer than the average Australian, you can say that they have been very successful in limiting illegal migration.

They have a huge number of legal migrants though (700,000 this year) though so absolutely no accomodation to be had there like Ireland. This number is also unsustainable but at least these people have completed criminal background checks and can easily be deported by cancelling their visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

I hadn't realised our economic/sun-seeking migrants also went the IPA/welfare route to Australia? Or are you misunderstanding the issue here?

• Advertisement

yeah because i wasn't talking about ipa/welfare routes maybe?

Advertisement