Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That guy's videos are really brilliant, he's a seriously talented dude! I could watch him for hours.

The only thing I find about him is he's so good he makes it look too easy. I came out of that video initially thinking I'd be the next Jean-Michel Jarre the day it landed but unfortunately that was not the case. Haha

Chris Lody does some excellent tutorials and explains how to access everything step by step.

After watching this I was able to make some half decent tracks. Was having a hard time trying to figure out how to actually record my own melodies (who would have thought the record symbol on the right would do it??) youve to press the play button after record for it to actually start recording.

Really looking forward to getting properly stuck in this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,039 ✭✭✭Doge

Awesome stuff o1s1n! Glad you escaped customs. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Picked up what should be my last Gran Turismo collecting…so far;

Gran Turismo Concept 2002 Tokyo-Seoul - a more limited version of the Concept series.
    Gran Turismo 4: Toyota Prius Trial - was given out by Toyota in Japan for those who showed interest in their Prius seemily. They eventually stopped when demand outstripped actual interest in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

so… you want to play Castlevania Rondo of Blood for 30 years and then 3 different ways to play it land in your lap in a week. What do you recommend folks ? Original on PC Engine or the PSP/Switch versions ?

Master of the Universe

Ah you have to go PCE given you've that tasty Duo-R sitting there!

Funnily enough I haven't played through it myself until recently picking up the new Turbo Everdrive that can play PCE-CD games. Its an incredible game.

• Advertisement

Always wanted a BBC Micro so took a punt on a non-working from eBay, also picked up a set of Rifa caps for the PSU and a SD Card interface.

Indeed a non-runner, took is all apart, cleaning up the case and main board. Nothing looked obviously wrong, so go about and worked on the PSU (yup, the main Rifa cap had already popped) and then had another look at the mainboard. Found one of the negative power connectors on the main board was lose. Soldered that and put the machine back together and…BAM! It lives!

Didn't have a chance to play with it yet, but my main aim - to play Elite 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Baby steps Kerb....Grannys Garden first...😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm more intrigued by the slanty sony tv 😅

I take it thats a game rather than something else :D

Ah, 0.5 "zoom" on a Google Pixel phone - kinda does a fisheye lense

You've never heard of Grannys Garden? A staple of 80s primary school edutainment on the BBC Micro

• Advertisement

I think I was solidly in a poverty primary school - no computers to speak of, but from image searching I do recognise the witch image. No idea how

Its still for sale! https://www.4mation.co.uk/retro/retrogranny.html - 15.50 of your british pounds

I certainly didn't attend Hogwarts either, but I guess there were grants etc available at the time that they availed of. Mad they're still selling it, major nostalgia-cash in vibes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭Steve X2

As all of the Zilog Z80 chips that interest me are getting discontinued in July after 48 years, I decided to stick an order in with Mouser to get 30 new ones. Its unlikely they will ever be hard to get, but I wanted a batch of new ones anyway for some future projects.

The 8Mhz Z84C0008PEG is what I was after.

I had notions before Christmas when I saw this pop up https://www.enterlogic.se/?page_id=180 - a compact A500+ compatible motherboard. Luckily I was given an A500+ mainboard many years ago by CiDeRmAn which I think he got as a lot from Olly(?).

So a large order to Digikey (and other suppliers) and many many hours later I've only got the board 80% done with the Amiga custom chips to be populated and a RAM SIMM to be built.

Will this whole thing work whenever I get back to it?! I reckon around a 20% chance! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Keeping with the Amiga theme, picked up one of these for the A1200/A600 and using Roadshow tcp stack. Ridiculously easy to setup and now FTP'ing at a blazing 100Kb/s :)

Received my OLED mod kit for the GBC this morning and decided to install it at lunch.

Pics just don't do it justice, the OLED looks awesome and the mod/install was as easy as it gets. The screen is actually meant for a Blackberry Q10. As the OLED is also under the GBC logo you can select any colour you want, or leave it off. Simple touch screen interface to adjust the filters, position and other basic screen adjustments.

A word of warning though, the included buttons and D-pad are crap. So make sure to re-use the original ones from the donor GBC. Shell is quite decent itself, no complaints there.

Highly recommended: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006665552898.html

^^ Picked up this pretty mint Mega CD II recently. I've a real soft spot for the Mega CD, so this will compliment my other tower of power. The only problem is, I kinda feel I need a second 32X now 🙄

^^ My terminal Atari-addiction continues. The 130XE is the last of the Atari 8bit Micros, before they pressed on with the 16bit ST range. The 130XE is very much ancient tech, dressed up as a baby-ST. I think the 800XL is the more desirable model, but having one already, I kinda felt I needed the XE too! The tape deck comes with it, though I can't see it being used much...ive other ideas for this one...

^^ Something something female K9's.... I'm delighted to be back in the Nomad club, it's a gorgeous handheld. This one has an issue with the DC jack, so I'll just reflow it or replace it if needs be. This one will likely find it's way onto an upgrade thread down the line...

^^ I really hadn't much interest in owning a GT until I repaired Quigs one....i was immediately sold on them then. I like to proclaim I'm not a big fan of handhelds, but my collection definitely makes a mockery of that stance at this stage. This one is working, but no screen working...so I've a cap kit here for it, and failing that, it'll also find it's way onto a repair/upgrade thread down the line too...

Interested to see what mods you decide to do on the Nomad. My main minty Nomad has the older lcd screen mod on it and cuts out after a while when paying on an Everdrive(normal carts are fine). From a glance online it looks like it might have been modded internal on the 5v side, i dunno to be honest.

Anyway, it needs a modern mod refresh so looking forward to what you have planned.

I'm on a waiting list for the next round of Venus Sub 2020 boards by Oleg Endo....the Rolls Royce of Nomad screen mods really.

No ETA, but worth waiting for. Failing grabbing one of these, I'll likely go for an RGBDRV board (which are currently out of production) or the older LCDDRV board (which is more plentiful.) All three options either way would be a significant upgrade over the original screen.

In terms of your Nomad, yeah I think Everdrive carts draw more power than a regular cart so it's possibly something on the power regulation side, and unless it has been recapped, I wouldn't rule out ageing caps either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

You forgot to post the kitchen sink :P Nice additions there!

• Advertisement

Ok, so that Oleg boards definitely seems to be the way forward for my mod refresh. How does one get on the waiting list? And yes, a fresh cap kit seems sensible at this stage as I'm unsure if that was done when the LCD was installed.

I was told to follow him on Twitter (search for Oleg Endo), and then ask him to DM you re the waiting list for a Venus 2020 board. He'll then take a few small details and put you on the list. He's a super nice chap, and I wasn't waiting long to hear back from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭dav09

Have spent the afternoon thinking what on earth have I gotten myself into this time, my back, arms, etc is in bits lifting it in to the unit, I can never turn down Sega Super DLX's, I'll never learn.

That's awesome!

Also, is that a stand up Ridge Racer in the corner, or just part of the sit down version?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭dav09

It's the original Ridge Racer sit down, not sure if it's a dlx or how they all came but big cab net has a 29 inch crt in it and single cabinet. I've been trying to get all the best drivers together for a new project.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I still have your 32x you sold me years ago :)

Master of the Universe

You absolute madman 😁 love it!

Did that come in from abroad or was it from a spot in Ireland?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Never again can you give Ciderman any grief for selling stuff and buying it back again 😁

Advertisement