Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Tipp1991

Would be great to see Hodnett back.

Word is Okeke is off to Coventry in the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

With all due respect you havent a clue what your talking about

He has as many caps as players like Stockdale and mcfadden and a good few more caps than players like Conway, fitzgerald, Daverage and Jared Payne. He has more caps than leo cullen.

And none of them ruled themselves out of international contention for 3 years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He has just about 1/3 of the caps of Earls who was a fine player but I wouldn't say he was heaps better than Zebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

wasn’t enough of a systems player

Quite the opposite, Zebo was at his absolute pinnacle when playing the Joe Schmidt way.

When he chased back, cleared out rucks and worked hard off the ball, he was as good as anyone. If someone had sat him down, forced him to watch his own performance in Chicago over and over and told him just to keep doing that, he’d have a lot more caps. He was incredible that day.

It wasn’t Kearney who denied him caps, Kearney was a world class FB who’d have racked up a heap of caps under any coach. Zebo’s issue was sitting in the stands while more nuts and bolts players like Trimble, McFadden, Conway, Jones and even Earls hoovered up caps, because they could do what he seemingly could not or would not. He is a talented player but not so talented to force a coach into picking him.

Going to Racing might have been good for his bank balance but it was a disaster for his career, it was the absolute worst place he could have gone. Any prospect of working hard and knuckling down went out the window and eventually it cost him his job there.

He was only 31 coming home, with Joe and Kearney long gone, but he never got close to another cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Good move for Okeke. With the number of players ahead of him in the backrow he will at least be getting gametime and the attention of premership clubs if he goes well.

We might see him back in red down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Kearney got way too many caps in the latter end of his career. World class earlier on perhaps and the rule changes were made for a 15 with GAA background… but latterly he was lauded on here for doing the basics of his job (catch, clear the ball, run the ball back and don't lose possession), and the basics he couldn't do (tackle, jesus he was woeful at that as last man - compare to Keenan or Haley - poor distributor and wasn't good to beat a defensive line on the counter-attack like Hogg for e.g.) seemed to get glossed over. He had superb positioning, that definitely set him apart from his peers. He could catch a ball but not any better than say Halfpenny or Dan Biggar who were both good in the air. I thought Joe gave him way too much rope over the years when his form was average, but I guess he did what the coach wanted, we know how prescriptive Joe was and didn't stand for errors. I'd have wanted more out of my 15 personally, in attack especially. Keenan is already miles better than him.

I agree somewhat that Racing wasn't the best place for Zebo, would have loved to have seen him at Toulouse but he has French background and wanted some life experience over there… can't blame him for choosing Paris to live in. Disaster for his career… he reached a Heineken Cup final and scored two tries in a 4 point loss… I don't think so. He's been a good signing for Munster since his return, especially this season. He's had some injuries also in his time back which would have impacted on any potential Ireland involvement. I don't expect he'll be called up but wouldn't begrudge him if he was, he's in great form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Zebo would easily have 50 caps if he didn't move abroad, so not really sure he was overlooked all that much.

I’ve no interest in debating Rob Kearney, he had no impact on Zebo’s lack of caps.

Racing was a disaster for Zebo. He absolutely ballooned up and for a winger to be that heavy was always going to end badly. To be coming home on a 1 year contract for (allegedly) peanuts and not being in the Ireland frame probably wasn’t the plan. He has been a good signing for Munster but he has never been the player he was and I doubt he saw his homecoming panning out like this. I know he’s shoving on a bit but there are too many defensive lapses.

The original question was whether he underachieved, no I don’t think he did, but if he’d pushed himself harder I think he could have done more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Considering his first contact back was dual funded with the IRFU, I doubt it was for "peanuts"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kearney got way too many caps in the latter end of his career. World class earlier on perhaps and the rule changes were made for a 15 with GAA background… but latterly he was lauded on here for doing the basics of his job (catch, clear the ball, run the ball back and don't lose possession), and the basics he couldn't do (tackle, jesus he was woeful at that as last man - compare to Keenan or Haley - poor distributor and wasn't good to beat a defensive line on the counter-attack like Hogg for e.g.) seemed to get glossed over.

I think, those that defended Kearney way back can now see what they were missing out on when you see the likes of Keenan play FB.

• Advertisement

All provincial contracts are co-funded by IRFU, the fact that this was made so explicit with Zebo was a PR exercise for IRFU.

As for peanuts, I don’t know but both IRFU and Munster were at pains to make it clear they had got a bargain, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen in press releases before or since. Considering Sweetnam and JJH had just been let go for budget reasons (again, that’s Munster talking, not me), a big salary for Zebo was extremely unlikely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

All provincial contracts are co-funded by IRFU, the fact that this was made so explicit with Zebo was a PR exercise for IRFU.

It didn't sound that way when it was reported, it seemed very explicitly a different setup. Would be a slightly odd to thing to do for a bog standard provincial contract.

I'm also sure it was a good chunk less than he got in Racing, but he was on pretty hefty beans there.

Bernard Jackman said on yesterday's 42 Rugby Weekly podcast that he heard "from an agent friend" that Munster have tabled a significant offer to a NIQ back three player. He was pushed on this, and said he didn't know the identity of the player, but he'd heard the amount offered and based on how substantial it was, said it was presumably a top tier NIQ based on that.

This was in the context of a discussion around Zebo potentially leaving, with Jackman referencing Rowntree commenting something like "all good things come to an end" in a Zebo context.

Would seem a strange area for Munster to strengthen to me, but maybe makes sense if Haley & Zebo are both moving on.

It was PR. Munster had literally just let a winger/full back go because they claimed they couldn’t afford him, and there was a lot of resentment towards IRFU over Zebo’s non-selection for Ireland while in France. This was win-win for both sides.

It would also be odd for IRFU to shell out big money on a contract and then never call the guy into a squad.

Also - for context on this, because I personally feel Jackman talks a lot of shite sometimes and likes to let on he's more in the know that I think he really is, he said on the same podcast (when discussing Leinster) he'd heard James Ryan was "furthest away" from making a return for Leinster, less than an hour or so before Leinster released an update saying he was back in contention for selection this week.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Munster are blocked from front rows, blocked from second rows,dont need back rows,blocked from centers

Its a 10 or a back 3 player are the options. Wouldn't surprise me if nobody was signed

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The whole "we brought him in below market value cause he wants to play for Munster so much" could equally be spun as PR.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,579 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CJ had just retired straight off a central contract, so Munster had some bargaining room with the IRFU to help out with funds to bring zebo home.

If he was on 700k at racing , and his market value 3 years later was say 500k, anything around 300k to muster would be deemed "below market value" but a good wedge for all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

MRSC just emailed there that more tickets available for Munster v New Zealand match. The link didn't work on PC for me but worked on mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

A few tickets for Munster v All Blacks have come available on TM

• Advertisement

anything around 300k to muster would be deemed "below market value" but a good wedge for all involved

Absolutely nothing close to 300k.

That is central contract money even now, but you have to remember, this was April 2021.

Think about that for a second.

We had just finished a Six Nations that was played in empty stadiums and were reaching the conclusion of a club season that was also played to empty stadiums. All players - across all provinces - had taken salary cuts and salary deferrals. IRFU were running a massive deficit, bailing out the provinces on a daily basis and were laying people off.

It is incredibly unlikely that IRFU took the savings from Stander's retirement and immediately looked to go big in the transfer market. That money was needed just to keep the lights on.

Then you have Zebo. Maybe it's forgotten now but his form fell off a cliff in the latter half of his stay at Racing. He was completely out of shape, playing like a drain and was shown the door. Was that incarnation of Zebo worth 300k a year?

And IRFU are notorious for slashing contract values after players turn 30 at the best of times. Even a fit and firing Zebo was not getting that sort of money at 31, and especially not when Farrell didn't want him for the national team.

At the same time, Munster had a back three of Mike Haley, Andrew Conway and Keith Earls; he had a battle on his hands even to get into the Munster starting team.

I'm sure I'll get my usual roasting on here but put all of the above together and it just seems extremely unlikely that he was on any sort of a big wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

If he was on 300k, what an utter waste of money.

I think saying he was on "peanuts" is probably a bit of a leap too far in the other direction though.

Fair enough, but the idea that the IRFU had to pitch in to meet his wage demands is just not accurate IMO.

remember it was a one year deal as well, which tend to be higher due to the risk.

im not saying it was 300K, all im saying is that it was reported that that Zebo took a contract "below his market value" to return to munster. No one actually said it was bargain basement contract. After 3 seasons at racing where he was on reportedly 700K, 300K would look very attractive.

On his conditioning, yeah it was visible, but he still managed to have a try return at racing which was exactly the same rate which has made him munsters top try scorer ever. He actually scored more tries per minutes in his last season than his second season, a season where he started all HC knock out games up to an including the final, where he scored two tries.

He certainly had other options than Munster, and by all accounts took a hit on his possible earnings to get back

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40265744.html

Munster head coach Johann van Graan said: “The opportunity to bring Simon back to Munster came about in early April following a final review of our squad’s budgetary position for season-end and with assistance from the IRFU to support what we believe is a really good deal for Munster and Irish Rugby

if it looks like a duck…..

Again, all provincial contracts are part-funded by IRFU. We're back to the start of the argument here. At that point in time, absolutely everything the provinces were doing was subsidised by IRFU.

But "really good deal" does not suggest a big wage packet to me.

And finally - and no one but me seems to have noticed this - Andy Farrell didn't want to pick him. There is absolutely no way that IRFU would sanction those sort of numbers for a 31 year old who didn't feature in the national plans.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The amount of half baked guesswork here is bewildering.

Thats correlation and causation. Farrell couldnt have picked him at Racing.

Farrel did actually select him for the november international squad in 2021, so he certainly was on Farrell radar.

Youre picking a very strange hill to die on here.

Was Zebo on more than he would have gotten elsewhere when he returning in 2021? absolutely not, as reported.

Was he on more than the basic standard salary of munster + standard IRFU top up, i would argue yes because of how it was reported.

could zebo have gotten €500k in japan for a few seasons? probably yes.

Kolbe is repotely on about €900k over there currently as a 30 year old winger. Could Zebo have gotten 500k 3 years ago as a marquee signing?

even if Munster and ireland got him for half that, it would represent a "really good deal"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Was he not called into the squad for the very first AI’s after his return?

That would suggest he did feature in the National plans. That it didn’t materialise into a cap doesn’t change that, for what was a 1 year deal at the time.

Now, i’m not gonna argue he was on 300k. But he definitely wasn’t on peanuts. (Which of those 2 is more likely?)

And everything around it’s reporting at the time suggested it wasn’t a typical provincial deal.

EDIT: What syd said.

Advertisement