Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This is the same guy who a month or two ago, posed a question on Tiktok:

"If 'gun-free' zones would work, then why are there no 'rape-free zones'?"

Obviously didn't take long for people to point out that to most people, every zone is supposed to be a rape-free zone.

He also helped set up a Conservative dating app which struggled when basically no women signed up to it.

Trumpist and troll to the core. Even if he was lying about giving the homeless counterfeit money, he's a pure engagement farmer because that's the only way he can be relevant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Because Trump can't be trusted we won't know until they walk in..

Wonder will they bring Weiselberg over from Rikers for the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭amandstu

What penalty could there against Weiselberg if he refused to answer any questions?

Neither Defence nor Prosecution have called him.

Either because both are wary of him harming their case or brcause he has indicated he will take the 5th.

Could the jury draw any inference from the questions he refused to answer and his demeanour in court?

Might his simple presence in the court force Trump to take the stand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

That's what I expect as well.

A hefty fine, he will loud mouthed complain how unfair the world is, and a suspended sentence and he will crack on and blame judge and jury for his misfortune and how the world is against him.

That's Trump-style.

It's not too hard to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Imagine thinking that videoing yourself admitting to a federal crime as part of an effort to show MAGAts just how performatively cruel you can be, is a good idea…
    The lack of either critical thinking or appreciation of consequences amongst that particular group is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭randomuser02125

City spokeswoman Lisa Fagan, who told New Jersey 101.5 before the rally the capacity on the beach for the event was 20,000, estimated the crowd to be 80,000 on Saturday.

80,000 my hairy arse. They're pathetic.

Its a federal crime he's accused of, not just a finable offence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I know.

But still, I see certain behaviour.

Judges in his favour. Fines being reduced. Trial start dates procrastinated.

To me Trump is he lowest of the low. A dishonest man, if he wasn't running for US president nobody would care about him, except maybe the tabloids.

If he ran for office in some 3rd world country, it'll probably be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"If he ran for office in some 3rd world country, it'll probably be ok."

He is. The US is a wealthy third world country. Madly overcrowded, brutal divides between the wealthiest and the rest of society, violent. comic-opera bad guy politicians. Polluted. Getting hotter.

Most 3rd world countries have something like free health care. Not the US.

Let alone the influence of religion on society.

FWIW, I'm a US expat, and have been calling the US 3rd world for a very long time. Plenty of friends and relatives there agree, most want out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ihateboards

Please don't on my account. That said I'd probably participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,365 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't what? Is that a Wordle reply? I was meaning you could start one, why not if you want to participate?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not a federal crime, it's a felony. Felonies can result in only fines as well even if the max penalty is higher. From what I've read most think that is the most likely outcome here. Even pushing to make it a felony was a reach.

Regrettably it is the most minor of the cases he is facing, but at least he is finally facing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Stanley 1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

More good news for Pelosi/Haley

So Donny is getting his sycophants to not only turn up to get around the gag order by repeating what he tells them to, they must dress the same as the great leader

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

^^New goon squad uniform. I wonder if we'll be seeing more of 'em dressed like that. Goes well with jackboots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The mental gymnastics to discredit Cohen is quite impressive.

Convicted for lying under oath so he shouldn't be trusted = fair enough, not an unreasonable argument.

However, these same people are trying to undermine the legal process and the legitimacy of the courts so to suddenly hold up a conviction (when it benefits them, funnily enough) is interesting.

Then, that same conviction was a result of Cohen lying to protect Trump. To acknowledge that conviction is to acknowledge that Cohen lied for Trump's benefit which, in turn, brings Trump's own innocence into question.

Now, I know there is no reasoning for these types and any attempt to point it out is met with a neverending list of excuses and exemptions particular to this case but this really should be highlighted and driven home with any undecided voters.

There is no mask anymore; the MAGA crowd are blatant in what they are doing and anyone voting for Trump in November cannot claim ignorance of the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭I told ya

Can't see DJT doing any prison time.

A total security headache. All former POTUS get 24/7/365 protection for life.

So how would that work? Have his own wing?

I believe Rikers Island is as tough as it gets.

• Advertisement

The whole reason Trump worked with Cohen was because he was a liar. He was Trump's liar. He lied on Trump's behalf, and at Trump's direction.

There were days of boring testimony by custodians of records, people brought it to attest to data secured by the prosecution. Trump's team refused to acknowledge any of it, so there was a line of folks from telecommunications companies etc giving evidence of texts etc.

This enabled the prosecution to put Cohen on the stand and at the same time, put the text up behind him, which gave credence to his evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Personally I think Trump is going to get away with this one, certainly with dodging the federal charge anyway, even if the misdemeanours stick.

They need to prove that he was part of the conspiracy, that he knew what Cohen was doing and why he was doing it.

But Cohens testimony is full of instances where he says he told Trump things like "I'll take care of it", "its sorted", "Don't worry about it" etc etc, and most of Trumps recorded responses are basically noncommittal.

They are trying to build the case that Trump micromanaged everything and must have known everything that was happening, but they don't have the smoking gun and it is a very plausible defence for Trump to say that when Cohen said "I'll take care of it", that he meant take care of legally. That when he signed the check, that it was just the final part of a process that Cohen carried out legally.

You shouldn't sign checks without knowing what they are for but that isn't the federal crime they are trying to reach.

"They are trying to build the case that Trump micromanaged everything"

This was verified by his own book, a former PA and Hope Hicks who cried on the stand while confirming Trump's assertion that Cohen paid the money out of the goodness of his heart was bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,365 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The governer of Rikers Island has already said they have a suitable, self contained area that could be used and could accommodate his security no problem. It is custom made - I think he said there are more than one 'suites' for this kind of purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭I told ya

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I will never understand why people keep saying that prison would cause a conflict with the secret service protection.

How on earth would it be more difficult for the SS to do their jobs when the person involved is locked up in a secure facility? How on earth is that more difficult than protecting somebody moving around or doing rallies in front of a few thousand people?

Incarceration would be easy mode for the secret service, there is no logic at all in suggesting otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,474 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Perry Johnson for 2% of the votes in Nebraska … it is like real life version of Conor Roy.

What a read:

In 2021, Johnson announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination for the governor of Michigan. He launched his campaign in January 2021 with a $1.5 million advertising campaign that was featured during the 2021 Super Bowl.[21] Johnson did not meet the requirement of 15,000 valid signatures necessary to appear on the ballot after it was found that 9,400 of the signatures his campaign submitted were invalid and fraudulent… In total, Johnson spent $7,000,000 of his own money in his failed bid for the Republican nomination.

Oh and endorses Trump!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Johnson_%28businessman%29

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That ~20% "Never Trump" has been pretty consistent in all these Primaries , all the more concerning for him now that these last few are him running unopposed.

Is there any info on how many of those votes might have been postal votes cast before Haley dropped out?

Although given the time elapsed since she suspended her campaign I'm guessing that's less and less of a factor in these latest ones.

It will be very interesting to see if these numbers hold after he has been officially declared the candidate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement