Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Do we finish with the most points against the rest of the top 4?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Psychologically the draw and indeed the manner of it is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Liverpool are a title winning team who've just been unlucky this season.

Great result for Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It was the resurgent attitude when nearly gassed out that made it great. How we've played alot of the season actually. Super to walk away with that when we thought we had nothing going in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Cliched roller coaster ride but we came out ok on the other side, credit to Chambers he got us up the pitch and likewise Duran’s goals. Will be a bit more relaxed tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Tonight is the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

the boost this point gives the team if a result is needed sunday can not be understated

Huge and means spurs must be city

What a rollercoaster evening and diaby could have nicked it at the end

I think the biggest thing about it is that it completely takes the draw tonight out of the equation for Spurs.

They have to push to win now, which makes them more likely to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Loving all the belief online that tonight is the night Jack Grealish scores in the 90th minute to send Villa to the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Great result and game yesterday and a huge point. And we really were unlucky in some ways not to get the win. When do you ever see Emi making a mistake like that!? And for either one of Ollie or Carlos not to score that tap in was mainly terrible, but also a bit unlucky. All through the game I was trying to just remind myself to enjoy the game, and enjoy that we are up at the top end of the table going toe to toe with Liverpool!

I feel a bit less nervous about tonight. For starters we got the draw yesterday so now only a win will do for Spurs. And secondly, even if Spurs do win, I saw enough in our performance last night to think we could go and get something (even a draw) against Palace. Before last night I definitely didn't think we could get anything at Palace. We'll have 6 days rest too!

One thing I didn't love was it looked like Ollie and Bailey were arguing about something after Ollie's goal was ruled out. I assume Ollie was telling him he should have left it for Diaby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ah I don't mind that type of passion on the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not sure why I liked it so much but I loved the interview with McGinn afterwards where he straight up admitted that the players have been out on their feet the past few weeks, said he didn't want to blame injuries (but obviously even mentioning them highlights they have hit the squad hard) and that they are motivated by the dream of CL football. I don't think Spurs will win tonight but even if they did I think this squad would find a way to at least get a point vs Palace such is the belief and desire in the squad under Unia Emery

On a side note as much as it'd give us heart palpatations during the game I now kind of want Spurs to draw vs City (still firmly expect Pep's boys to do the job though). If it does not affect us at all I would not mind the team we did the double over (Arsenal) winning the league ahead of the team with all those charges hanging over them making it 4 in a row.

Unlike Bounty Hunter, I just want this done tonight. I dont care that it wasn't done at home, or the excitement out of the last game but knowing us McGinn, Luiz and Tielemans will all go into the same tackle 10 mins into the Palace game and all get injured if its not done.

Pity Ollie missed his 20th goal last night because Duran deserves a start against Palace after last night but I doubt that happens now.

Eh it has to be done tonight. If it’s not done tonight, I don’t fancy us that much at all.

I said i'd like them to draw… a draw = it being done tonight as we would be 4pts clear going into the final round of games.

In theory yes, but could your heart handle those last 10 mins

Today I feel Manchester City.

City certainly havent hit their usual stride yet

Let's gooooo! Get in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

De Bruyne looked offside to me. Not that it matters as it was given. Champions league becoming more real.

Do I pop the bubbly yet?

Ederson just got absolutely roadhoused there. No way he should be staying on the pitch (for our sake as much as his).

It’s our night guys

Imagine the craic at the awards night!!

This could be it guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

😎🤌🏻

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

💪💪💪🥳🥳🥳🥳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Pot 2 lads.

• Advertisement

Unbelievable stuff. Even when it looked mathematically probable, could barely believe until Haaland blasts that 2nd goal in

41 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arsenal fan here guys! Congratulations on Champions League football for next season.

Build the Statue!

What a season. What a team. What a manager.

I'm so relieved we are over the line!

Villa players at their annual awards dinner.... really, really wonder who'll be fit for Palace on Sunday as they look set to enjoy the night now

Edit: Yep it's getting messy

• Advertisement

When's the draw?

In 20 mins time there'll be a knock at the door at Villa Park and it'll be opened to a beaming Jack Grealish with a crate of Blue Wkd.

I think they are certainly having a good night.

Can a mod change thread title to Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/2025 Premier and Champions League

Edit: Thanks!!🤗😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Well done villa deserve that after a cracking season..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just amazing.

Look good to me! Excited already for next season!

Changing the pots and having teams that didn’t win leagues in pot 1 is not good.

I was more just commenting that we are there in one of the pots. I haven't really kept up with the ins and outs of who goes in what pot, but I assume they have tried to stack it so that all the big teams get as far as possible.

4 groups of 9 teams but 1 big table. At least two teams per pot (4 pots so 1 pot will supply 3 to each group I guess) iirc

Would be quite happy with something like this:

Dortmund
    Barcelona
    Benfica
    A.C Milan
    Club Brugge
    Celtic
    PSV
    Aston Villa
    AEK Athens

Top seeds that would be a great away day if it happened that way (Nou Camp / Yellow Wall) but are also beatable based on some of their domestic results this year.
    2nd seeds that are historic big names and great European nights where you never know, like with the top seeds we could maybe get something from plus I made pot 2 be the one that gave us a 3rd team but made them be a percieved easier pot 2 team in Brugge so as to 1) give us an average as per the draw extra team and 2) Belgium does not clash with any of the other countries.
    Then we have the winnable battle of ritan with Celtic along with going back to Greece and a trip to the Netherlands just to mix things up.

A group draw like that is being generous on the top seeds yes but (we would be expected to lose to any of them anyway) it includes 3 from pot 2 and a top 3 pot 3 seed so maybe isn't unbelievably nice to us but I could see us actually getting out of it....because only the teams placed from 25 to 36 in the table are eliminated in theis stage. Just 1/2 wins and you could leapfrog a lot of teams.

No matter what it won't be easy but it is great to listing Villa's name among the like of Barcelona and A.C Milan again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Was of the opinion that we should have 2-3 years stability under Emery without the distracaction of European football. How wrong I was.

Next season, all going well, i will get to say I stood in Villa park watching my team playing Champions league football

Of course, it was just an observation that came to mind when looking at them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Broken metatarsal for Zaniolo so he may well have played his last game in a Villa shirt. I don’t think he hit the heights we expected but will be remembered for his performance against Arsenal.

He had his moments, but wouldn’t want to keep him. Hope he recovers and has a good career somewhere.

I feel like the past few years of his career were like this loan. Dude had potential, didn't always deliver on it, showed glimpses of being a difference maker, then got injured.

Carlos Soler, versatile former Spanish international midfielder from PSG being linked as his replacement with people saying we have had discussions after he was offered around. Might be to add squad depth with the likes of Zaniolo and not neccesarily be a starter but could be cheap enough as PSG want him off their books.

Edit: Also according to reports Sheff Utd being relegated has apparently triggered a clause meaning Villa have to buy Archer back… for about half what they were paid for him! If true I'd assume we will sell him again this season ha

Not sure what to expect vs Palace today. Would assume the lads haven't had the toughest week in training espeecially after the awards dinner. Would be nice to not lose to end the season but Palace are in form so it won't be easy.

Post edited by Bounty Hunter on

• Advertisement
Advertisement