Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local/ EU elections who will you Vote for

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is there a full candidate list for each electoral area available ? I'm in Kildare and the county council site has information for candidates but not a list of who is on the ballot paper. Same question for upcoming EU elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

In the locals I will be voting FG 1 and 2, with the local Labour candidate getting my third preference and the Green candidate my 4th. I’ll leave it at that.

I will vote for FG, FF, Labour and Greens in the European. No votes for SF or any independents. They are bad for our position within the EU.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,085 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Has there been any polls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Only 1 of the local candidates (an independent) has shown up at my door so far so, despite her manifesto being essentially "let's make everything nice", I will probably vote for her.

I certainly won't be voting for any of the IFP/INP or related bellends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It is noticeable how at pains some, who no doubt have political affiliations to our old established parties, are to tell us how awful all these far right parties are, how they are just "a noisy little bunch within their own sad little echo chamber", how it is no use voting for them because polls are telling us it will be the same old same old parties in power, how they have "no impact on the voting intentions of middle Ireland".

Me thinks thou protest too much.

Would this be the same Middle Ireland that is seeing it harder and harder for their kids to go away to college because of cost and lack of rental accommodation?

Would this be the same Middle Ireland that now finds it harder to get GP appointments even though they are paying for them?

Would this be the same Middle Ireland that sees their adult offspring still living at home as it is too expensive to go rent whilst trying to save to buy a property?

Would this be the same Middle Ireland that sees their taxes being hovered up by hundreds of thousands of people that just arrived in the country, whilst they themselves, their kids or their elderly relatives get fook all?

Would this be the same Middle Ireland that tries and fails to get planning to build a home for themselves, but yet sees immediate planning to house hundreds of people that just arrived in the state?

Would this be the Middle Ireland that has sat in A&E with elderly relatives left sitting or if luckly left on a trolley for many hours?

I think a fair few here don't live in the same Middle Ireland as me and most of the my acquaintances and colleagues.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Where can I find the exact list of candidates for my LEA?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Each local council should have them listed somewhere on their webpage. Nominations period runds from Saturday 11th to Saturday 18th, so some councils may not publish until that is closed.

Dublin Councils pages are below: DLR and SDCC appear to be updating live lists as nominations come in.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/elections-and-voting/local-elections-2024

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/i-want/local-elections-2024

https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/our-council/elections-and-voting/local-elections-2024/

https://www.fingal.ie/LocalElections2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The full list will be published after nominations close next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

“The Irish People” a party I’ve never heard of before, is running 55 candidates in the local elections.

Between The Freedom Party, Ireland First, National Party etc it’s all starting to look a bit Monthy Python, the Judean’s People’s Front, The People’s Front of Judea. They’re only watering down their vote.

I’ll probably go with Independent Ireland or the Farmers Alliance myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

I’d wager you work for the Civil Service or Government in some capacity 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A local Sinn Fein candidate (or someone canvassing for them) is going around in a bright orange Mini (with their name emblazoned all over it), complete with the Union Jack tail lights like the image below. Not really on-brand there lads 🙄

• I think plenty of folks have just pulled the ladders up to be honest.

They couldn't give a damn about anyone else even their grandchildren as long as their precious homes, rental properties and other assets give them a false sense of their wealth whilst others suffer and that is maintained.

Even though it's catastrophic for society, they only think about themselves. Too many off these creatures amongst us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Quick related question who do I report posters that don't don't have the printers on the front of them? (Based in Dublin)

Is it customerservices@dublincity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ionraice

Interestingly, I haven't seen a single canvasser at my door yet.

I can safely say I will not give a single preference to FF, FG, Greens, SF, or Labour.

The usual Independent candidate is so pro open borders that he has no hope either.

Far right nutjobs are getting nothing.

I'm just hoping a half decent candidate shows up who wants to A: Control illegal immigration, and

B. Propose some rational plans to solve the housing and health crisis.

It doesn't seem like a huge ask, and yet...I'm really struggling to find such a candidate/party…

Unbelievable!

We had our local green candidate call yesterday. We we’d taken the bus into town for the afternoon, so both cars were outside. We’ve a Ring doorbell and when we answered she refused to believe we weren’t home 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

No one.

All the local lads look like something from D'Unbelievables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Clare Daly was at Kilbarrack train station this morning.

The train was coming and I was late for work but defo would have stayed and talked to her for a bit, specifically her stance on Ukraine and why she has that stance. I don't get how she could be Pro-Palestine and Anti/Neutral-Ukraine.

I like the Social Democrats as a party. Holly Cairns seems to have made some positive statements and seems to have the right end of the stick on a National Government level. I dunno how good they will be in local government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,748 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a council election not a general election, councillors are not going to be able to change immigration policy, have little influence on housing, and zero on health.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So in other words they are good for nothing and a waste of money.

No, they can be very good on local issues.

Local Authorities have competence in local issues as the name suggests.

A lot of good TD's cut their political teeth as Councillors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Only if you think roads, housing and other issues are of zero importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The councillors who got elected as TDs, Norma Foley to name but one, also got 50 odd thousand quid for "technically" losing their councillor jobs. That's another joke.

Well the other poster said they have little influence on housing.

As for the roads maybe its different over in your neck of the woods but Galway County Council are beyond useless when it comes to road maintenance.

In general Councillors do a good job for a comparatively low rate of pay.

Not playing that game with you.

Everyone knows the good TDs past and present in their own area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,611 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well?

Who are these good TDs?

So in other words you made a statement and now can't back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'll give an order of preference to everyone, except SF, Greens, independents, left wing parties or any of the other loony nut jobs. So basically preference 1 to FG (and down the line) and then subsequent preference to FF.

• Advertisement

I've already backed it up.

I 'm just not going to give you a list of names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,431 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You want to know who in the Dáil is a "good" TD?

What's your yardstick?

Number of issues solved for constituents? Highest local and national profile? Became a Minister or a Committee Chair? Introduced the most successful private member's Bills? Sat on the most Committees? Sat on the most powerful Committees? Appeared on Morning Ireland/Prime Time/TWIP most often?

Its a reductive question, best answered with the retort, how long is a piece of string?

Number of issues solved for constituents

I think this is terrible measurement of how good a TD is, I get all politics are local politics but really for local issues you should be in contact with your local councilor, not your local TD. Your local TD is for national issues

Just having a look at all the new parties forming, there are 5 right leaning/wing parties that you can vote for now. It will be very interesting to see how well they do.
    I'll probably vote for SD and SF

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ionraice

True. Having said that, these Councillors have clearly been party members, as a bare minimum, for years.

Meaning they support all of the policies the party advocates.

Which is quite enough to ensure I'm not giving them a preference...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Lofidelity

I live in an apartment in a fairly central area and no election candidates ever call. Not for Euro, council or Dail elections. Apartment dwellers vote too.

I know who i wont vote for in June but not so sure who will get my vote. Independents, maybe Aontu if they have someone in my area. If anything there's too many new candidates out there and the protest vote will be too diluted and the usual suspects get in after all.

Many would envy you being able to avoid enthusiastic canvassers 🙂

But seriously allowing random groups of politically motivated people to access the common areas of an apartment building is probably not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,611 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's fairly awful, though I see the average payment was €28k, so the Indo may well be hyping up things by focusing on the small number of unusually high payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

No, I won’t be voting for any Government parties.

Tell me what answers any of your far right political parties have? All they can do is blame the black man, they have ZERO answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Soc_Alt

I won't be voting for any parties this time so will have to be an independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Refreshing to see many people not voting for the status quo, glad to see people waking up to their bullshit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

There's a reason why Harris is doing something about immigration but it's all about the local elections, he must be scared **** of what his candidates are reporting back

I hope us voters don't mistake this so called face turn because this is just for the elections, we need to hit the government parties badly like what we did at the referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Indeed, he's scared shitless, hence the new FAR RITE policies lol

The problem with Voting independent though is that they nearly always side with the "in power" party

I used to think voting independent might shift things a bit, but the reality is unless there's someone like Clare Daly going in, IE someone who's gonna hassle people, I feel I'm wasting my time voting independent.

I simply can't vote for SF, FF , FG or any of the others so it will need to be an independent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would you not vote for someone who aligns with your political beliefs and will deliver your choices rather than making the choice to not vote for A, B and C and will then looks at the policies of the remaining candidates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well according to some round here we would need the Nazi party or the KKK to be running candidates suitable for our beliefs.

I find it very interesting how these elections are being touted here and in some other places.

According to some one would swear all the current councillors and current EU MEPs of the major parties have feck all to do with the party, probably never even attended any party functions, have never any input into selection of TDs, never backed TDs and have never supported the party leadership.

According to some these candidates appear to have had shag all to do with their parties so we should vote for them on that basis.🙄

And the candidates for these parties it appears are in no way endorsing the policy of their parties in the Dail or in government when they sign up to run for them.

The party hacks really have to try harder, we aint buying the shyte anymore.

I am not allowed discuss …

That's the issue.

I'm Pro EU, Pro Choice, Anti Immigration in current form and Anti Welfare as a lifestyle choice.

I do not support Housing Charities being funded like Vulture funds to buy up estates.

I won't get that with any party currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ill be voting for independents, I'm not naive to think this is a long tern solution but I'm hoping it will be a big wake up call for the Government parties when they see alot of their candidates not getting picked and they may actually start listening to the people.

Whatever moron Niall Boylan has erecting posters for him thinks it’s a good idea to park his van in the N11 bus lane at Stillorgan whilst putting up posters.
    At rush hour.

Good way to have a few thousand people see first-hand what a selfish c*nt you are

• Advertisement
Advertisement