Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Best team in the PL by a long chalk. If they win on Sunday that’s something else. It won’t last forever, nothing ever does, so City fans should enjoy it while they can, and rightly so.

Congrats to Villa, it’ll be interesting to see how they go in the CL, new blood and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Can definitely feel for arsenal losing out with 89 points after giving it a real go this season .

However, going trophyless again this season is bad beat. Going out so early in domestic and CL made gave them a sole priority on the league and still fell short . In puts in context how Klopp managed to go toe to toe with the oil state while simultaneously being in CL final and both domestic finals as well .

City winning the league is meaningless, amazing group of players a the club that cheated their way to dominance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Boring league

And do people really believe

Casemiro is on same wage as Haaland, That Varane makes more than Grealish, That Mount makes more than Foden, That Maguire makes far more than Walker and Ake, That Osana makes more than Ederson, That Bruno makes more than Rodri, because that's what City claim in their official declared wages for 2024.

Total sham

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

'95 was a great finish in fairness.

However, it's just not going to happen this year.

City will pound them early on, get a few goals and pass the ball to death thereafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That makes it beyond argument: this City side is the best English football has ever seen. The wall of money bought history, and then deployed an army of solicitors to avoid being held to account. I am reminded of all the sniggering and disdain they received between the takeover in 2008 and the first title in 2012. How silly that all seems now in retrospect.

This title has been inevitable for weeks, but really the inevitability stretches back years. Their grip on the league deepens every year as their world leading youth system produces more players; as they buy whoever they feel they need every summer; and as they manage to keep whatever players they want to keep (a feat Utd and Liverpool at their best couldn't manage).

The sickening part is the media choosing to be complicit in all of this. The headlines should be about the 115 charges and little else. But the media will fawn, Drury will wax lyrical and Sky will swoon for hours. It is completely soulless and hollow. A mid tier English club unable to sell out its stadium after a full decade of dominance now indisputably the best to ever do it. Whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

not before Sunday I hope or else West Ham have no chance!!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

It is actually insane that there is no talk whatsoever about the 115 charges on Sky. It's the elephant in the room. You can't talk about all the success and not at least mention it in passing. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Why don’t you stop watching, so? Nah, didn’t think so. You’ll be glued like the rest of us….see you on Sunday!

What have allegations seven years old now have to do with the current playing squad of City? Were any of them even there in 2017? KbB possibly.
    Current City team has cost less than utd or Arsenals current team. Good recruitment, coaching and bottle has them where they are. Am sick of hearing the begrudgery towards them. Lucky tonight but all great teams need luck at times too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

City are a stain on the league. There titles are meaningless. When you have the financial resources they have behind them how can other clubs compete. As a Man Utd fan I don't envy them winning league titles as much as I would if Liverpool or Arsenal won them.

Does it need to be explained to you why serious allegations of financial rules being breached repeatedly during the formative years of the City dynasty are directly relevant to their current dominance? It really is pretty obvious, I must say.

Would you take away Liam Lawlors kids money or Charlie Haugheys knowing they were set up for life through dirty deeds? Cos that’s what you are advocating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

If you think only 'good recruitment coaching and bottle has them where they are', I have some magic beans to sell that you might be interested in as well.

If they're not held to account for their 'alleged' historical cheating why would you just assume everything they're doing now is above board as well? Why would you give them the benefit of the doubt? They don't deserve it. They haven't earned that trust.

If it quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭Patser

Thanks to the Mods for Villa thread name update😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is this a serious post? You don't think their financial situation pre-2017 has anything to do with their position in the game from 2017 onwards? That their years of alleged financial cheating and deception didn't give them a platform to build the team they have now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Do you actually think that Man City were actively cheating on June 30th 2017 and then on July 1st 2017 just decided to stop and say 'lets not cheat anymore'.

Pull the other one.

Their manager is a cheat and the club is a cheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The obvious has already been said by Lloyd above - but even beyond that, it was also reported back when the 115 charges were made that 2018 was just picked as a cutoff for them to submit a tranche of material about (2009 to 2018), and that the investigative team were continuing on working on similar charges for the following seasons.

You're also wrong that the submitted charges end at 2018 - there are 35 charges of "Failure to co-operate with Premier League investigations" - December 2018 - Feb 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Their titles are absolutely meaningless, I could care less, fair play to arsenal they gave it a good go, ran them to the wire but you just can't compete. 97 points Liverpool got and didn't win it, it's ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And it's only been about 20 months since Villa were a hair outside the relegation zone when Gerrard got sacked! Incredible progress from Emery in a season and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Because they would likely not even be in the Premier league if they didn't spends gazillions beyond what they had available to them during those years.

If the Saudis could spend what they want at Newcastle then the league would be far more competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Why not, United have serious deep pockets, they have massively over spent on players that are very average and give them long contacts.

City rarely make a mistake with transfers, there not perfect but that is one of there strongest attributes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Grealish has played like Antony for 2 of his 3 seasons, he cost 100m. City have had plenty of flops, but they don't get much attention because there's another 60m player in their position to slot in. Doku has been largely rubbish this season and nobody has bat an eyelid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

United have been run by chancers with no idea how to recruit players for years. Lots of money spent that may as well have been piled up and set on fire.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Well for a start we have no idea what City are paying in wages as their declared books hold as much water as a siev.

They aren't worth the paper the are written on

You American? I've only ever seen an American use that phrase in that way.

"I could care less" so like it does bother you?

Off topic but always found it funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ange is p*ssed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

if you think Liverpool spent more on Darwin than City did on Haaland, you’re extremely naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Saw this on Twitter….

City’s fourth title in a row is right up there with Lance Armstrong’s 4th straight win in The Tour.

Apt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Would you blame him with the carry on of their supporters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Tottenham supporters area an absolute embarrassment.
    The chant of "Stand up if you hate Arsenal" small mind mentality. Same crap West Ham fans sing to Tottenham.

They will never get achieve anything with this mind set, Postecoglou now sees what he's up against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City have taken the football world for absolute fools.

They've rocked up, ploughed money in without restraint, built the best facilities possible, bought the best players in the world, created the best youth system in the world, formed the most pervasive network of scouting in the world, and paid the best manager in the world ... and they still manage to convince people that it all might be ok because their 'net spend' for the last 5 years isn't so bad.

The structure they have built through their financial strength is now impregnable. It's there now. It can't be knocked down.

Pep's little routine the other day about other clubs' net spend was cute, but of course, completely left out most of the above. And some fans take it hook, line and sinker.

They’ve always been cheats, Pep's always been a cheat, and football is being taken for an absolute ride.

The best English team of all time. Yet tainted.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'd be slow to blame the Spurs fans. It's a feature of the game that everybody knows City are cheats, and nearly everyone would like to see them lose, but it would always be worse if you're biggest rivals win. City's league titles don't count in anyone's book apart from City fans (and Sky) but your biggest rival winning on the other hand is very sore.

The Spurs players all tried their best, and that's what's important.

This isn't down to his fluffed chance yesterday, but a separate point that seems to be missed by all analysts and most fans (apart from Spurs fans) is how poor-to-mediocre Son has been for most of the season (I wouldn't have noticed either but for dipping into the Spurs thread throughout the year).

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

I'll admit Im an armchair most of the time when it comes to watching football so maybe Im in no position to discuss this. But I have often wondered why we haven't seen proper protests by the real supporters outside stadiums in response to the City cheating? We saw with the Super League, fan protests can have a real impact. Even with The 1958 Man Utd supporters group protesting the Glazers, it did have an impact. It generated a lot of media coverage. Sponsors were negatively targeted. A good chunk of revenue was lost with the amount of times the club store had to close or couldn't even open at home games before Jim Ratcliffe came in.

Even if it was that every set of home supporters that was hosting Man City organised a protest outside their stadium before the game, it'd be very had for the likes of Sky and the PL to ignore. It's probably one of the few things in football that most fans (bar City supporters) are united on. And maybe it's the fans that can get the spotlight back onto the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Think Ange is being a bit dramatic calling out the fans. Realistically there was a slim hope of CL so it’s not surprising that the fans aren’t bothered if it means their rivals won’t win the title.

If he wants the fans mindset to change, he needs to win more games really. Had a result put them in a better position for CL/guaranteed it, you can be sure the fans would be far more invested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Some people come up with totally stupid comparisons

How anybody could think that's similar is beyond me.

The club is crooked but the players haven't cheated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i dont think most of those players would be there but for the cheating so the comparison is fine IMO.

a winning entity that cheated to win.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It depends on whether you consider investing money into a football club cheating, I suspect all these people advocating for Manchester City to be stripped of their titles or that it's somehow not fair that they can afford players are fans of clubs like Manchester United or Liverpool who feel they are entitled to win things because they have the largest fan base. Football is played on the pitch, not the stands.

The whole spirit of FFP is not to prevent clubs buying leagues (which has been happening since the advent of professional football btw), it's to prevent clubs spending money they don't have and going bust. I don't think Man City are going to have that problem soon.

I think a lot of the outrage comes from fans of clubs who have seen their previously successful clubs fall away.

Do you want points awarded for most commercial income generated, most stadium sellouts, most titles won in the 80s/90s?

FFP only came into force in the last decade. If you were to retrospectively apply the rules before this and strip titles based on it, I would suggest you'd be looking at a pretty bare list of league winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I've said it before but as a United fan, City winning leagues and trophy's should bother me but it doesn't even register. Says it all really.

From a pragmatic point of view I can appreciate the brilliance of Pep's coaching but then I remember he's a cheat too.

I have a big lack of faith in the premier league punishing them properly but we all know the truth. Horrible owners who have cheated their way to their current position at the summit of football. It's laughable it's been allowed to happen.

Ah the players have moved to the club and accepted payments from the club (possibly through multiple sources to keep the official wage bill down)

Unless of course you think that only ever happened with Roberto Mancini and never with any of the players…

Strange that Sergio Aguero spent the best years of his life playing for Man City on less wages than similar players around the world.. No?

Wasn't there a stage where Aguero was on like 150k less per week than De Gea on their "official" wages?

Any player who has played for City since 2008 is guilty by association

Embarrassment, I'd say. City were an object of ridicule while they were building their empire, and football fans find it difficult to see beyond the end of their nose, certainly beyond an individual season. Then they won a title, and it was an opportunity to lol at Utd. They weren't winning every year anyway, whatever. Then the machine started to kick into gear, a few journalists started covering how bad it was, but sure we could still laugh at them in the CL. Then they're beating teams to the title on 97 points and deploying an army of solicitors to Lausanne and it's too late. It gets confusing - sure, they cheated but wasn't that years ago? And you're being told that you're bitter about this because YOUR team is losing. And aren't you being a bore anyway, I just want to watch the footy on a Saturday, jog on.

The Super League united fans because it was all the major clubs, all at once, with the media giving them a crystal clear mandate to be mad as hell about it.

I think it's a good question to ask however!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I would consider not following the rules that they signed up to cheating.

Personally, I would advocate for a system that allows owners to pour money in as long as they parent company of the club assumes the risk, and for there to be a maximum amount of money they can invest that’s calculated in some way to general football/league valuation.

But City haven’t just been spending to compete, they’ve been spending to dominate. Everything they’ve been doing, with over the odds sponsorship from a company with extremely close links to cities owners(and that’s putting it lightly), to creating fake crypto companies for additional revenue has been to ensure that nobody else can compete, because it’s simply not possible for other clubs to follow that model to create a level playing field.

And because Cities huge revenue is essentially generated outside of football, it makes everything worse for other clubs. Players become almost immediately more expensive when one club can chuck 100m at a player to warm the bench, with the club receiving the money overpaying for replacements which trickles down to other clubs. Which means normal clubs need to find additional sources of revenue, which means increased ticket prices, merchandise etc.

Everything City is doing is to the detriment of football, they’ve broken 115 rules that we know about and gave spend the entire time using an army of lawyers to delay and obfuscate. I hope the book is thrown at them.

• Advertisement

The comparison is stupid. As I said the players didn't cheat. Whether they'd be there or not is an entirely different issue.

The players haven't done anything wrong, you are labeling them as drug chests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's a perfect comparison.

It's not a comparison between Armstrong and the City players. It's a comparison between Armstrong's doping and City's financial doping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

You're right....

It was only Pep that's been found to be the drugs cheat, nobody else, (so far anyway).

Leopard, spots, etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The players haven't cheated, that we know of. I have my suspicions about some players at City but I won't speculate. But with Pep's methods, who knows.

Pep was a convicted performance enhancing drug cheat himself when he was a player.

The same doctor who supplied him those drugs was then appointed to his Barcelona team when Pep was managing there. And then there was his time at Bayern Munich where Pep used to complain that the same injuries that would last 6 weeks in Germany could be healed in a fortnight in Spain.

Who are the two highest paid players in the Premier league?

I'll give you a hint, they both play for a multiple league winning side.

Who has the most highly paid players in the top ten? I'll give you a hint it's a multiple league winning side with four of the top ten.

I don't know about what Aguero earned but United pay ridiculous wages. Rooney was on crazy money towards the end of his career, I think at one stage he was earning as much as Messi and Ronaldo. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that De Gea earned more than Aguero.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement