Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Alex Albon has signed a long term deal with Williams. I'm a little surprised here, I thought he'd have been looking for a bump up to a higher placed team.

https://x.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1790668568826155053

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I was thinking, maybe hoping, he would get a shot at the Merc seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not sure there is a higher place team to go to. He got badly burned at Red Bull trying to pick up Max's scraps so not much he can achieve there. I reckon the deal with Sainz to Mercedes Benz is all but signed. Alonso is staying at Aston Martin, Stroll would have to be permanently incapacitated before that seat came available, McLaren have their drivers secured. Cash ATM or whatever they're called, Alpine Sauber and Haas are roughly at the same level now but Williams probably still has the most potential to climb.

Williams have come to a bump in the road, it'd be very short sighted to think they will never overcome that. Look at McLaren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id say he tried but there aren’t really any options for him at teams that are much further up the grid. Sainz is ahead of him in the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,569 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah, hope the shine wears off Sainz in a few years and they need a change. Not a great option but the other options weren't great either. It's a medum-long shot at a Mercedes drive, which isn't a bad bet.

Albon didnt get the Merc seat now, he never will. He seems committed to Williams, and now he is on paper too.

The dominoes start falling 1 by 1.

As it stands:

Redbull: Max (end of 2028 season), TBC

Mercedes: Russell (end of 2025 season), TBC

Ferrari: Charles and Hamilton (both on multi-year contracts, so at least till end of 2026 season)

Aston Martin: Stroll (who knows), Alonso (at least till end of 2026 season)

McLaren: Lando (multi-year, at least past 2025 season), Piastri (end of 2026 season)

Alpine: TBC, TBC

Williams: Albon (at least end of 2026 season), TBC

Haas: TBC, TBC

Stake F1 (Audi soon): Nico Hulkenberg, TBC

Visa RB: TBC, TBC

Thats half the seats still to be confirmed.

Current drivers still needing seats from top to bottom according to current championship points (excl Bearman, although can see him getting Hulkenberg's seat at Haas):

Perez

Sainz

Tsunoda

Ricciardo

Ocon

Magnussen

Guanyu

Gasly

Bottas

Sargeant

Sargent and Zhou are, in my mind anyway, gone at end of season. Bottas and Magnusson must be clinging on too depending on other moves.

I tend to agree. And its hard to see past Perez at Redbull and Sainz at Merc, top 2 remaining drivers in top 2 seats.

But with Sainz's dad's links to Audi, and them needing to make a statement signing, its possible he goes there. Will just be a wasted year there next year.

Bottas show some glimpses sometimes, especially in qualifying, but could be gone too. Popular guy though. Any of the rest can be gone too, but for someone to replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jv2000

I reckon the only danger to Gasly or Ocon would be if Alpine/Renault decide to pull out of F1 again… No signs of that anytime soon. Both good drivers and French, surprised they have not been confirmed yet.

• Advertisement

Someone will always keep Enstone running, Andretti are standing by

Bottas is a great qualifier. Its the strongest part of his game. He was always closer to Hamilton in quali than in the actual race. He matched within a tenth, and even beat Hamilton at a surprising rate in quali and that kept the hope alive if I remember correctly.

I'm not commenting on whether or not he should keep his seat, just the fact that he's always been a better qualifier than a racer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Ted222

I’d have some confidence in Vowles’ ability to restore Williams to at least a mid-ranking team. It would be an interesting project to be part of.

Some excellent news. Irish up and coming Alex Dunne has been signed into the McLaren driver development programme.

I saw this comment from Albon..

You have to assume if he was talking to multiple teams then it was the likes of Haas and Alpine, and not Merc or Red Bull...

That's probably what I'd tell myself if I was in his position. He might even be right. I wouldn't begrudge Williams or Albon success. He seems like a decent guy.

• Advertisement

I think the article on the F1 app mentioned RedBull had an option on him for 2026, so very possible he spoke to them also. His contract with Williams was until end of 2025 season, seems both sides decided better to lock it down now for longer term than play the waiting game to see who goes where next year.

Ron Dennis was on BBC Hardtalk recently. Video is on the BBC news channel or iPlayer in the UK.

Audio is available worldwide on podcast.

Oh I'm a big fan of his. Really hope Williams get a good car under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Max not happy with the car in FP1 or FP2, plus a trip into the gravel in the latter. Could be an interesting race unless they manage to sort the car. Is Newey there this weekend I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

HUge crash in f2 at start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Yeah but it is not to say they were speaking to him 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

If Perez doesn't sort out his form he could be in trouble getting a renewal on his contract. Sainz would have to be a better option for the team, especially if Max was to leave. Sainz should be capable of leading the team, Perez not so much.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Bottas spotted leaving the Williams hospitality, rumoured to have had a meeting with Vowles. Hypothetically a Bottas and Albon team would be a solid line up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I missed the ER GP. Was the Maclaren really that fast or was there something wrong with the RB?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The McLaren upgrades have brought them closer to Max coupled with Red Bull struggling to find a decent setup this weekend. Some late night simulator work and Max’s brilliance just about kept him in front. Although on the medium tyres in the first stint Max was pulling away like normal but it was a different story on the hards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I think it was mostly a case of McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari all dealing with the tyres/fuel loads differently.

Max was fastest until the first pit stops. McLaren and Ferrari were somewhat close, McLaren slightly faster.

Leclerc and Piastri seemed to be fastest immediately after pitting, with Norris, Sainz and Max roughly holding station. As the laps ticked by, Norris seemed to gain speed, with the others slowly losing it.

Perez really was nowhere, so maybe the RB was struggling, with Max able to overcome it somewhat.

I think we could have a 3 (2.5?) way team battle for a few races, until the next major upgrades arrive. Probably track dependant on who is fastest. Red Bull might be in a tricky situation if they don't have Perez up where that car should be.

Exciting times, hopefully!

You didn't miss much to be honest. But certainly McLaren have given us a bit of hope that Red Bull aren't going to just drive off into the sunset every weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I wondered if the Redbull is just at it max capability and now certain set ups are slighty taking away from the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Its race week! Monaco this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

Can’t wait for the annual Monaco debates/rants!

Would love a LeClerc win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Worst race on the calender(as a spectacle), by a million miles

I also missed the race - is it a case that Perez is reverting to his disappointing level again? Or just a one-off because the Red Bull wasn't as dominant? Looks like his chances of repeating as 2nd are gone, he's likely going to be passed by Norris and down to 4th in the next race…

He was out qualified by a Haas and both RB's, his teammate got pole. Only so much blame can be laid on the car not being as far ahead as before.

If both McLarens and both Ferraris score consisted top 5 and both Redbulls dont, then theres a real chance of Redbull finishing 2nd in constructors this year. Only 56 points difference.

It's a time trial followed by a parade. But you know sometimes it's good to have different forms of racing in formula 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

One of the best qualis though!

For me you can categorize the vast majority of Perez’s Red Bull performances into one of the following;

• Poor quali & makes his way up the field to in and around the podium.
    • Poor quali & makes an error/s pushing too hard in the race resulting in a poor finish. (Emilia Romagna here)
    • Adequate quali and adequate race.

Like we’re learning nothing new this season and he’s had patchy performances over each season with Red Bull. There’s not much else to talk about at the minute I guess except has the gap to the other cars closed enough for Red Bull to need a change.

Mark my words. Now that RB are feeling the heat from 2 different teams, he'll be given 3 more races, and that's it. They don't have the same luxury as last year

But, who will they replace him with that will do better?

Tsunoda? Maybe, he has been doing well in the RB, but idk if he will be able to handle that pressure.

Riciardo? Cant see it, but maybe. Would be unfair to Tsunoda if Ricciardo gets a RedBull seat though.

Anyone else on their radar who can do a better job for the remaining season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It might be but it also nearly always has the best qualifying sessions on the calendar.

He was out qualified by a Haas and both Vcarbs, his teammate got pole. Only so much blame can be laid on the car not being as far ahead as before.

FYP for you. They are called Vcarbs now. Even the commentators say it that way now.

Who would they replace him with Daniel is not really there yet but maybe in the Red Bull he woukd be back to the level he was before he left. Who knows.

Would they replace him with Tsundado who had a good race and weekend or go for someone else?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Tsunoda or Lawson. Tsunoda based on the form he's in currently.

They are listed as RB on the official F1 app in the constructors.

You need to make up your mind.

Commentators call Perez by his unofficial name, Checo, massive problem.

Commentators call a team by their unofficial name, VCarb, thats gospel.

I dont know if Tsunoda will do better than Perez though. I hope he does if he gets a chance to. Otherwise he might go the way of Albon, or best case back to RB.

Checo is just too un-reliable. He cannot be trusted to even get the basics of in to q3 right. RB don't have the time. McClaren and especially Ferrari will be up their arse in no time.

If Checo makes a balls of quali this weekend, you'll start hearing the rumours for sure

On a sidenote, the rumours of Maxi heading the way of Merc also seem to be getting more substanstial.

Isn't that the big rumour. Audi have given Sainz a month to decide but he is waiting to see if Max will jump to Merc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They are listed as RB on the official F1 app in the constructors.

I did not know that. Well then it is wrong too. Do you not think it is confusing Red Bull and RB? People just think someone is lazy and mean Red Bull so in my opinion Vcarb is a better name for them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

F1 TV call them V-Carb, channel 4 follow suit because they are sharing coverage. Sky Sports and BBC Radio call them RB. The new Auto sport editor Rebecca Clancy calls them Contactless ATM Cash back whatever they're called. 😄

I note that Perez has dropped behind LeClerc in the championship. I reckon he has until the summer break to get back up to 2nd. If he falls behind another driver, he's out automatically.

Honestly, I think the jokes about team names work once at a maximum. 6 months later calling it Contactless ATM Cash back whatever they're called, is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Just learn the new name.

It was similar with Racing Point Force India. It made my arse wink when people kept pretending not to understand the name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's a very poor name though.

V Carb is easiest to say but from a sponsors pov it completely loses any obvious reference to visa, cash app or redbull.

Racing point was a whole other level of smart thinking.

You could say the same of half the teams. Who says Aston Martin Aramco? Or Mercedes-AMG Petronas? Or Moneygram Haas? Or even OracleRed Bull?

They're knows as Aston Martin, Haas, Mercedes and Red Bull.

I presumed Visa Cash App is an American thing anyway. In this part of the world we do bank transfers that happen instantaneously. Americans need third party apps which take a few days. The product doesn't isn't for us, so i wouldn't worry about them not getting bang for their buck.

I'd probably refer to it as Visa RB. It's not an issue either way but it's definitely not side splittingly hilarious to pretend not to understand the name.

What was the smart thinking about the Racing Point name? Am I missing something obvious?

You weren't actually meant to say "Point" it was just meant to be "Racing. " So combined with the title sponsor it becomes "BWT Racing."

Oh because of the logo? Everyone called it racing point though, right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement