Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There was some discussion here recently of the Kippure Estate scandal where a business entity was developing multiple additional units to cater for the accommodation needs of the state. Something like 40 units had been built and another 50 I believe under construction, all done without planning permission. A village it was compared too in the heart of Co.Wicklow, the so called Garden of Ireland, where planning for ordinary folk is very difficult to obtain. This is/was a multi million € business for this company.

I read last night that Wicklow County Council has issued an enforcement notice, requiring the cessation of all development works, the demolition of all buildings above without planning permission and restoration of the site insofar as practical.

All seemingly because two local councillors responded to local concerns, organised a public meeting and pressure put on the local authority to do something. There are of course local elections coming up and the issue was dynamite in that area. Interestingly the councillors who stood up were Gerry O'Neill and John Snell, both Independent. All the other party councillors hid their heads away it seems, certainly declined to criticise these developments in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Kippure estate. It's all being done in secret. They have heavy duty security staff, no phones, cameras allowed on site. Local protest signs were removed overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

We have been implementing a pro-immigration policy for the past couple of years which has led us to the current situation. I think most here agree that this situation is undesirable and can't continue. Therefore, we need to radically change policies and stop listening to unelected ngo's and quangos.

I still think you don't understand what I've posted.

Nobody is arriving in Australia illegally without being immediately put in detention.

All of what they call Asylum seekers have already gotten a visa normally a student one.

10 billion AUD is about 6bn Euro and that is over ten years so 600 million euro a year to end illegal immigration.

I think most Irish people would take that in a heartbeat seeing as we spent several billion last year alone on illegal immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

can you tell us More about this? Where is it etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

Someone should bring a drone down and have a look from above.

Peter Burke on radio at the moment saying we can't have a situation where one group of Ukrainians are getting more than another group of Ukrainians, I was waiting for Claire to ask why not continue to pay them all the same amount so but she never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Aine Lawlor on morning Ireland gave Michael McGrath a grilling on the proposed cuts saying they were targeted at the most vulnerable Ukranians and we were shutting the door on them at a time of Russian advances.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Gamergurll

One group of Irish receiving some form of SW get a different amount to other groups depending on circumstances, where is the difference? These people are so full of $hit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It didn't end illegal immigration.

It was one unsuccessful part of an overall solution, which only dealt with about 4k people.

There were further costs for the parts that were effective, the push back schemes and pre-clearance.

Cost on offshoring by my calculations was about 2.8 million per person. Most of the people involved ended up back in Australia, or part of further expense on resettlement programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I've been reading online this morning about this. How the Ukrainians, in state accommodation, all supports given, are being hit the hardest because we are cutting their €232 PW....wtf?

I hope the government won't backtrack on this decision now, as we know they tend to do when certain pressures kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Photobox

Unfortunately I think they will. Its infuriating.

There have already been changes in policy.

So far the results are tent encampments and less Gardai to deal with serious crime.

You'll need to be a bit more specific on what you propose to do, how it can be implemented in Ireland, and what the outcomes will be.

No, totally incorrect. Most were deported if they cooperated and some are still in detention. None that arrived illegally ever settled in Australia. The cost per person is irrelevant as you are stopping hundreds of thousands just by strict enforcement. It actually works out way cheaper and less disruptive to society than unchecked illegal immigration.

Well, unfortunately I am not the Minister for Justice with access to thousands of staff and advisors so not my job to come up with specific policies.

The tent encampments are a necessary evil because if every AS was provided a warm and secure apartment or house we would be innundated with thousands more within weeks from all parts of Europe.

All would agree that it is inhumane to spend years deliberating on these Asylum applications so speeding that up should be the priority.

A large military style camp in the countryside would be a cheap and suitable accomodation that would reduce conflict with local communities as very few want to live next to AS. This would also help with keeping track of who is where within the country.

Lastly, once Asylum is rejected, we need to fight back against the NGO's and the countries from where the AS leave from to ensure that they can be deported.

Any country that refuses to accept their own citizens back should be denied any aid or development funding from the EU.

I think that will work wonders for getting deportations done. We will need to be deporting 10s of thousands p.a for a while until the word gets out that Ireland is not a soft touch any longer.

See post #21030 above. As of 10th May Wicklow Co Co have ordered full demolition of the illegal building works at Kippure Estate. It is a huge scandal. Likely the developers will appeal?

A victory for the moment for the ordinary citizens, democracy and local Independent county councillors. Note the party councillors sat on their hands.

You might want to find some references to back up those claims. From what I can see only about 20% were deported or returned to country of origin.

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/operation-sovereign-borders-offshore-detention-statistics/2/

Nor did it stop 'hundreds of thousands'. Australia never received very many arrivals by boat and all the evidence points to numbers actually being lowered by the turn back policy. Number of arrivals actually increased after offshore detention was introduced.

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/asylum-boats-statistics/

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/feb/18/western-australia-boat-arrivals-what-are-the-current-laws-and-policies-on-asylum-seekers#:~:text=Verdict,detention%20and%20third%2Dcountry%20resettlement.

The above article is quite informative especially this quote.

But these only applied for asylum seekers who arrived by boat before 19 July 2013, and so belong to a different cohort, who were not sent offshore. Since 19 July 2013, both Labor and Coalition agree that asylum seekers who arrive by boat to claim protection will never resettle in Australia.

(Asylum seekers who arrive by plane are able to apply for permanent protection visas.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Hate the telegraph… but it pains me to say that article is not far of the truth as I see it. Bang on the money when he says Government feels its way through policy heavily influenced by powerful NGO’s i’ll add. And before there is a pile on it’s certain NGOs that mainly have skin in the game of Immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Well done. There has to be respect for the law or else everyone will be at this craic.

Rip it down and make an example.

What I don't get is how this developer felt so brazen to build these houses without permission. There is much more to this story I think. It looks like he built on a promise by someone that they would be looked after.

• Advertisement

And who one suspects are ably represented here on this thread. Asides them, I heard Catherine Day 'interviewed' again this morning. I put that as 'interviewed' as really she was just given airtime by RTE to promote her vision that Ireland will be the future home of the worlds great unwashed. Ms Day says we must build state accommodation so that we can comfortably deal with all arrivals. As for local concerns, well she says just explain the issues to citizens affected and that's that.

Why does one get the impression that Catherine Day is utterly and totally unaffected by the policies she promotes? Does she even live here anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You keep asking people this when your own proposals somehow fix our problems by giving away citizenship and visas to IPA's and clamp down on the "far right".

But you see everything else as a bad idea…. the irony is clearly lost on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,938 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am practically certain there will be a move to ensure that the development is retained. I bet there will be an overnight law to ensure this or something, if one doesn't exist already. If not, pending an appeal which I am sure there will be, the Gov will give permission for temporary retention to ease the accommodation crisis for IPAs. Betcha.

There is a McMansion in Co. Meath that was built without PP. It is still there over ten years later. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

does she not realise that the more we build the more will come, we'll always be playing catchup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

What Catherine means is that you tell the local citizens 'shut the **** up and go on your way'. Another person that has way too much airtime. Build build Build is all you hear. Thats there answer to everything .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

When far right racists get elected in this country it's the governments lax immigration policy that is at fault and all the needless goodies.

Why hand out medical cards to all who seek international protection/Ukrainians when they find employment. Why not do a means test?

Why continue the €800 a month ARP to Ukrainians even when they get employment?

This is killing the accommodation down the country for other citizens where landlords are opting for this tax free sweetener Why aren't they made to pay for their accommodation once employed? Likewise with international protection applicants?

Why aren't these loop holes closed? All it does is increase resentment for people who are living here all their lives and have paid alot of taxes.

I don't see your claim verified in that article, that only those who arrived before 2013 were sent offshore.

In fact pre-2013 those sent offshore were allowed resettle in Australia, this is represent by the group labelled 'returned to Australia as part of pre-19 July 2013 cohort' in the graph I shared above.

There's also 1046 people in the above graph, marked 'Total in Australia for a temporary purpose' who arrived post 2013 and are de facto resettled in Australia. They are now living in the mainland, though officially I think until they can be resettled.

After 10 years in the system, I would imagine the likelihood of them ever being moved again to being near 0.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jun/24/australia-to-move-last-refugee-from-offshore-processing-on-nauru-but-its-cruelty-and-cost-is-not-over

The costs of this exercise I estimate at 2.8 million AUD per person, based on figures below. This does not include resettlement aid payments to third countries, for those who did not return to Australia. In one case it emerged that 40 million was spent on a scheme which eventually resettled only 7 people to Cambodia, the cost for this small group then being 8.5 million per person.

All of this for a policy which all available evidence shows had no impact on numbers arriving.

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/operation-sovereign-borders-offshore-detention-statistics/7/

"Any country that refuses to accept their own citizens back should be denied any aid or development funding from the EU." Efforts have been in place for approx 20 years to relate aid and funding to accepting deportations, to little success.

Without some drastic international changes I wouldn't expect we'll ever be able to deport any more than 15-20% of arrivals. This is based on our historical capabilities and the experiences of other countries, including those with hard or far-right governments.

I have some questions on your camp proposals, if you might answer them?

Will you provide heating in winter?

Will you house children in these camps?

If no, will you separate parents from children?

Would these camps be secured or can people come and go?

Can children in this system attend school?

Will medical aid be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

"The great unwashed"

Not that I lose any sleep over it, but I do wonder why people feel the need to talk about migrants in this way. Even on a favourable interpretation, it's just astounding arrogance.

You have done nothing to deserve being born in a wealthy, safe, tolerant country. Nothing. It is no achievement of yours — just pure fortune. Whether they are asylum seekers or economic migrants, a lot of these people have grafted hard, and in many cases taken great risks, to seek out the opportunities in life that in the Western world are simply laid out for us from our earliest days.

Yeah...a lot of them aren't as educated as you, or as trained, or as well financed. A lot of them have never had the opportunities you have had to learn, develop, take nice holidays, acquire skills that let you waltz abroad into nice cushy jobs. Seems poor form to demean them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

How they respond to media criticism will be interesting, because I don't think aligning all Ukrainian welfare payments at the standard AS rate is an unpopular policy.

So if they backtrack you can deduce that they are more concerned by negative press from an out of touch media rather than doing something which wanted by the population.

Advertisement