Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭jmreire

I believe that Putin will not go nuclear, not because of the west or NATO (although they will factor in his plans of course) but because his friends, China, N-Korea and Iran do not share his Genocidal / suicidal plans, not by a long shot! To such an extent that if they even suspected that Putin was planning such a move, they would take him out. Because in effect, he would be attacking them too. Radioactivity is no respecter of borders or armies As a matter of fact, they (at least China) most likely have plans for Putin's future (or lack of it!! ) Nuclear weapons or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Putin is a madman, he could care less what China or NK think. If NATO directly attacks Russia or Russian troops, ships, airplanes etc… i am in zero doubt he will go nuclear. The man is clearly unstable.

Oh, I'd say that Xi, the Ayatollah and Kim Sung are fully aware of Putins mental state, not to mention all those closest to him, and who for sure do not share his suicidal plans either. It takes more than one to push the nuclear button, even in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Doesn't make sense. I think Fico is perhaps the second most pro-Russian leader in the EU 27 (though he's a good way behind Viktor Orbán in the running). Would be quite stupid and illogical for them to attempt to murder him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Looks like from the early reports it's some crazed violent liberal who didn't like Fico's policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭gral6

Crimea is under attack right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

He wouldn't go nuclear unless he felt like he had absolutely no other choice. Putin is a man who enjoys the trappings of power, and wouldn't be willing to give all of that up unless he thought death was imminent anyway. Far more than the political alliances of the countries which border Russia, Russia's greatest insurance policy against direct attack is its vast stock of nuclear weapons.

I think it was professor Michael Clarke who said that in the event of a nuclear exchange, the US/NATO wouldn't just target Russia, but they would target Putin . Putin could never be sure, either, that the US/NATO wouldn't have intelligence on where his hiding places in Russia where, so the concept of pushing the button and then hunkering down would be fraught.

But, again, even if he survived, he wouldn't have much of a world to emerge back into.

No sense in it from any angle other than figuring his world was about to end anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Saying Russian naval ships are leaving ports tonight in Crimea for fear of air strikes and this is making them targets for the naval drones out at sea.

British military intelligence are always saying Crimea is the key. If Ukraine can force Crimea back or put enough pressure to get it retaken then it'll be such a calamity for Putin that his own people will take him out.

There's a whole coastline to defend and it won't be easy for the Russians.

I think you're spot on with that hypothetical, but Ukraine would have a job of it to make that a reality with the pressure they're under in the east and now around Kharkiv. That has to be stemmed first and then Ukraine also needs the kind of weapons that they could use to put Crimea under pressure without necessarily committing a lot of precious ground troops. Ukraine has done a nice job of putting Russia back in their box on the naval front. If they could combine that with more air power, they'd have a chance to force Putin to divert forces from the other fronts back to defend Crimea.

Also, if Ukraine could pull off a more sizable operation on the Kerch bridge, that would be ideal. At this point, Russia has zero qualms about hitting Ukrainian civilian infrastructure whenever it can, so hitting the Kerch hard would be a great kick in the nuts in return.

Depends on what you mean by "democratically elected", if you consider blowing up 3 apartment buildings in Moscow, and attempt to destroy a fourth, killing more than 300 people, and injuring as many more, democratically elected. then fair enough. And by the same token, do you think how he has held on to power since as being the democratic will of the people, then Good Luck to you. Buy personally, I wouldn't be inclined to grant him any protections that might apply to a genuinely elected President. The sooner he shuffles off this mortal coil, the better for Humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

A right wing liberal, how does that work? Is it like a sober Russian?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I don't think the Kerch bridge is as influential to RuZZian logistics as it once was. They seem to have more options available following previous Ukrainian attacks on the bridge where they got caught short .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Unfortunately for Ukraine, with the lack of weapons and personel, I reckon by early summer we could be looking at Russia from a position of strength and Ukraine the weaker at the table.

EU/Europe/Nato tween now and then have decisions to make of which the one picked will be let the above happen, the alt is go into Ukraine to fix the numbers issue? cant see that happening. The EU is not the mechanism for all this. And then we have devisive EU Elections coming June where I reckon far more right wing, putin favouring representation will win out than we may think now. Helped my much interference from Russia

From current vantage point - Putin is for the win at the moment I reckon?? The GOP squarely are to blame for the no supply of weapons. Zelensky coming under fire for not pushing on conscripting more troops for the front line, they are completely stretched now, we can sugar coat it whatever way we like, not good times for Ukraine, Europe, this is a big big moment.

Kharkiv could have been a Russian military intelligence job to pull Ukrainian forces away from the South from a build up for Crimea. Whatever it is. Still going ahead and seemingly successful hits tonight on very expensive Russian hardware.

The gop are in a country 5000 miles away, surely Europeans have a bigger influence on events in its back yard, they should but..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

In their defence, they read it on the internet.

It was never going to be that hard to find his links to Russia, red bad5ard.

Who is next to be targeted in this strategy of tension?

The line you ended on, there, kind of sums up Putin's general strategy of power. If you're behind a few things, people will think you're behind everything and you will gain an aura of omniscience as people become cynical about the genuineness of every event in politics. Putin's panopticon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It could be the other way around: Ukraine has previously said that re-taking Crimea was one of their primary objectives, and they've been steadily degrading the Russian presence there for quite some time. They've had a presence on the far side of the Dnipro now for almost as long as the Russians held Kherson, and last week, they recaptured another chunk of the estuary.

Given that the GUR said they were aware of the Russian plan to step up their offensive in the Kharkiv region, perhaps the Ukranians judged that that would leave Crimea more exposed and set about taking advantage; or at the very least decided that making a move on Crimea/the southern front would be a very efficient way of taking the pressure of Kharkiv. Especially if they've got their hands on a good supply of new munitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,932 ✭✭✭✭josip

Regardless of who shot Fico, Orban will be spending more time looking over his shoulder after this.

oh it’s the Russians who are responsible that much is clear now

Notice how quickly their cockroaches came out on this thread and social media to start spreading fud and different theories which is the typical Russian MO when they screw up (remember MH17)

The question now becomes will Fico learn a lesson or will he continue cozying up to Putin after he tried to murder him with his useful idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

There were question marks over the Netherlands' continued support to Ukraine, in the wake of Geert Wilders' party winning the most seats in the election a few months ago. Wilders himself opposes supporting Ukraine.

However, it seem now though that we have a coalition agreement, and the agreed policy for the incoming government is "to continue to support Ukraine politically, militarily, financially and morally" against Russian aggression. Which is good news I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭rogber

The number of verified Russian crimes both in the war and against citizens is big enough already that there's no need to start down the conspiracy theory road to create more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭rogber

It's key but it's simply not going to happen as long as Putin and his circle are around. The talk of Crimea liberation beach parties was already fanciful last year and that prospect is now even further away. Ukraine's job for the next few months is simply to minimise additional lost territory, that will be a big challenge

• Advertisement

Ah yes, an attempted assassination of a head of state of a NATO country with clear trail back to Russia several days after Putin’s coronation and massive reshuffles at the top in Russia

“Nothing to see move along”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement