Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive "Tarmac" sellers Kildare town area

Options
  • 15-05-2024 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Be on the watch for UK reg "highway maintenance," small truck (WR13 XFF) going around rural houses and trying aggressive tactics to get people to get tarmac or other work done.

An elderly neighbour neither liked their tone or the way they just wandered about and giving a price for work even when told there was no interest.

Of course they are "doing a job locally and have some tarmac left over"

They seem to be staying in rather luxury motorhomes in the side carpark of Kildare village (south of Tesco)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

They are on the curragh camping at the back of the gallops on the Kildare side. Those same guys were tree maintenance last year. And they are also the same crowd that turned up during COVID at the same spot and Leo said they weren't there. Same crowd on their holidays at the same spot year after year. Won't be touched and leave the place wreaked. Try using a golf stick on the curragh plains and watch the Army MP's move you along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Glamping Tarmacers....

Unfortunate pun but fits the OP discription.

Most likely not remotely affiliated to any above board /publicly contracted Highway Maintenance company. They always try too hard to be convincing. As if a company working on roads would be trying to off load surplus tarmac for domestic driveways.

Can it be reported to AGS that they are in the area, harrassing elderly?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id definitely be informing the local gardai, fcukin wnakers…..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

In my experience the gardai are always delighted to get info on who is calling door to door. If you can make a note of the reg plates because they can look them up to see who the owners are and then check if they have a record.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Its a UK reg though, maybe not even legit reg plate or with tax/insurance.

I would definitely be reporting their activities and current location. Their homes may be hotter than tarmac they are trying to offload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

So the thing with the Irish prison system is that inmate ethnicity is not recorded. However unofficially approx half of all male adult prisoners are Travellers according to a website that reddit Ireland has on their naughty list.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i definitely wouldnt be going on 'information' from reddit, i suspect ethnicity is recorded to some degree within the justice system, but yes, traveler numbers are extremely high, theyre extremely dysfunctional and highly prone to criminal activities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭JVince

Kildare town gardai are not interested.

Some of the gardai in that station are let's just say incompetent - and that's being pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yeah if your reading comprehension was up to snuff you'd realize I didn't get it from Reddit Ireland either.

"No data are published on the number of Travellers in court or in prison,
    just as there is no data published on the nationality of offenders."

https://gript.ie/we-need-to-stop-artificially-preserving-destructive-traveller-traditions/

• Advertisement

Allmost half of Irish prison population, would be a big number. Seems over stated.

Ethnicity is recorded though. A University of Limerick report in 2022 found:

Travellers were vastly overrepresented in prisons in 2021, where they made up of 7.3 per cent of the prison population, but just 0.7% of the general population according to CSO 2016 Census data.

Where is it recorded/ available to view? IE is this info published annually and is it in the public domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

100% - I always dial in reg numbers and suspicious activity - they always thank me for doing it - it’s then up to them what they do with the information.

I stupidly got caught out by one guy taking his photo- he was spending way too much time on a house that obviously had nobody at home - he challenged me as to why I took his photo- I told him that it was a public place and I could do what I liked - I slowly but deliberately went back towards my front door like a coward😀- he swiftly left the area with his mate in a van - reckon I stopped a break in that day - bastards the lot of them - report report report and keep them on the move is the only way to deal with them - they don’t like attention so alert the community WhatsApp group - they’ll know quickly enough that that area just isn’t worth the effort - and NEVER hesitate contacting the local Garda station - these pr1cks prey on the vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Funny how the anti immigrant crowd never have the balls to protest at the site of these particular economic migrants.

then make a formal complaint - get your neighbours to make a formal complaint - if Kildare town Gardai aren’t interested in combatting community crime then call them out until they are- it’s that simple

That's ridiculous. Nothing will happen. A few years ago we had a bare knuckle fight on the green outside our home. I rang the guards in newbridge, explained what was going on and they asked did I know them. I did as it turned out and they were local. She laughed and said that's nothing weird and they never turned up. Crap fight anyway. It's put down as too busy dealing with serious crime and ignored. They don't care.

Have a wander in newbridge in the traveller strongholds and ask yourself where the money came from. Loads of roofers but all with the exact same material on the van roof for years untouched. It ain't roofing they are doing. Huge homes, new cars for the kids that are replaced yearly. Look at the county council planning permission page and check for usual names. Those are rental properties they are buying all over the county. Auctioneers here will tell you Newbridge is mainly a cash town for purchases of property. No mortgages. Business name changes every few years. You won't find them registered. It's the new Rathkeale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

But, but, they're a great bunch of lads....according to rte.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2024/0502/1446917-irish-traveller-minceir-stories-natural-world/

CPL 593H

like I said- community action gets results - apathy will get you nowhere- if you know of all of this information talk to CAB and speak and write to local politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Murt2024

Scumbags, know one person affected and the "workers" laid down a mm of tarmac and were trying to get 6K out of the household when the work was done, threatend to burn there house if they didn't pay or beat up there children, whatever came first.

Replace workers with knackers or Pikeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

For me your remarks about the Gardaí in Kildare Town is very derogatory to say the least. I’m not a member of An GA but I do have a friend who is. And I have only ever had good impressions of their involvement in the local community, and that includes Kildare Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭JVince

You have your opinion.

Mine and others is from direct experience of a particular cohort of about 5 including a sergeant.

Even newbridge gardai (superb) could tell you who they are as their reputation is known.

Unfortunately it was one of these that was on counter duty when we brought it to their attention and it was as if we were wasting their time.

Hence it was posted here for people in the area to be aware of it. It was not created as a Garda bashing post for people like you to jump on, but that was the direct experience - if you have an issue, that's a problem you need to deal with.

Advertisement