Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Baybay

I don’t know where you’re staying but you might consider having the medication administered & his passport updated before arriving in Cherbourg. We travel with a cat, which has slightly different requirements but we bring him to the vet the day before sailing just in case there’s any delay enroute & we end up being pushed for time. Neither he nor me need the stress! I’m sure where you’re holidaying will be able to recommend a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, we do it every year, but we're usually coming from the other side of France so can't recommend someone around Cherbourg. The worm tablet has to be administered at least 24 hours before your expected arrival time in Ireland, so assuming you're doing it on the day of sailing back, it will have to be a good few hours before departure.

Also a lot of vets are on holidays in France at that time, and it can be hard to get an appointment at short notice. So many people make an appointment as soon as they get to their campsite for somewhere local, but within the 120 hour window. All French vets will require you to make an appointment to check the dog before administering the medicine and charge around €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

This sunshine is getting me in the mood for France. Its 24 deg in Nantes already. Might be a scorcher this year.

Need to start researching a few restaurants around the Vendee, daytrips, theme parks, water parks etc.

Cant beat a family holiday to campsites in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭kindalen

Priced up Breakdown cover with the AA, via Irish Ferries, was €164 for a few weeks. Not an annual policy either. Presumably no competition in the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭corkgirl17

Heading to La litterol end of June. My youngest will be 2 weeks away from her 5th birthday. Has anyone who's been previously availed of the kids club. Are they strict? Would it be possible to put her in? Wondering if it's worth my while contacting them and perhaps changing her date of birth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Id say you will be fine, they are quite relaxed about this sort of thing. I knew a person who put their kids into a eurocamp kids club even though they were staying direct with the campsite!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

I got this cover (see below) for our trip last year, but unfortunately they are not offering it anymore…..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

La Sirene booked for early June, flights from Cork to Carcassonne and a car rental for €330 for a week. Can't wait after being to LA Baume last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Peckham

Was there in 2021. They were pretty relaxed about age/size requirements on water slides, so I'd expect similar attitude to kids clubs!

Great site. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Try Vhi multitrip to include car breakdown if you need travel insurance, and lasts the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Jack0125

I have VHI multitrip and just rang there to suss out the breakdown cover. The VHI breakdown cover is insurance for costs related to breakdown.

Whereas the AA Breakdown product is "The AA will provide Roadside assistance for the duration of your motoring holiday" and "AA European cover provides emergency car hire, accommodation, or alternative travel when needed most."

So 2 different products as far as I can make out.

Anyone have advice on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, correct - roadside assistance and breakdown insurance are two different products.

As a side-note, have a look at this:

But I just found this VHI multitrip document from June 2020 and it's confusing me as under the section called "Section 24 – Optional European Motor Breakdown Cover" (p35) it has:

Section 24c – Roadside Assistance
    What is covered:
    We will arrange and pay up to a maximum under this Policy of €300 for roadside assistance and repair or, if necessary, towing to the nearest
    suitable repairer.

https://www.vhi.ie/pdf/products/MultiTrip%20Rules_01Jun20_MHMT37.pdf

Maybe it's an old document?

After further enquires, it looks like maybe The breakdown cover under VHI Multitrip will arrange roadside recovery, but business hours Monday to Friday. (Latest T&C's say they arrange roadside recovery, but when I called to confirm details, this was the answer)

So Im reading it as AA is 24/7 (I think) roadside assistance versus a Mon-Fri/9to5.

Read the small print and make your own call on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Just wondering would anyone have some up-to-date info on a few good campsites in the Vendee region. We are booking a last minute holiday to France. I have seen lots of threads on info on some good campsites in that area but just wanted to check if these sites are still good. Kids are 12 and 10, I like the look of a few including Le Domaine du Clarys - Le Clarys Plage, Le Pin Parasol, Les Ecureuils and Sol a Gogo.

There is availability for my dates of June 22nd for 12 nights, and flying into Nantes, prices look pretty good and then car hire. Are these sites still good in peoples opinions who have gone in the last year or two. I grew up going on the ferry to all over France and Italy, my favorites back then were La Sirene and Bella Italia but both of those are quite expensive for my dates, so have decided there is better value in the Vendee region where the weather should be pretty good too at that time of the year I am hoping.

Is there any sites better to book with, it's been a long time since I have gone, back then it was Eurocamp and Keycamp but there seems to be quite a few I am not familiar with now.

Any info or suggestions would be very welcome, hoping to book it all today :-)

This one is available in Le Domaine du Clarys - Le Clarys Plage for 911 euro for 12 nights

Premium - 3 Bedrooms, ≥ 32m², AC.

Looks like nice accommodation for the price on what looks like a lovely site, with Eurocamp. Anyone have any experience with these mobile homes with Eurocamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 idontknowdoyou

@tony1980

Check out les brunelles

la Litterol vendee

Bonnee anse plage

Pin parasol is lovely and it's on your list

I could be wrong but Clarys Plage could be suitable for younger kids. It wouldn't be on par with Pin Parasol

Thank you. I am loving the look of https://www.campings.luxury/en-gb/pays-de-la-loire/vendee/talmont-saint-hilaire/le-littoral/accomodations/l-790012?fromDate=20240622&toDate=20240704&delta=3 but I am struggling to find somewhere to book it. Would you know if this site is safe or have you booked through another provider. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 28 idontknowdoyou

I haven't been but priced with Sandaya but too pricy peak season for us. Allcamps are good I prebooked before and got a refund from them no problem.

You can book directly through Sandaya. We are headed there around the same time. Heard it's supposed to be fab!

Has anyone had any experience with any of the car rental agencies in Nantes? Any good companies you have dealt with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

yes, I will try look up their details tomorrow. Shuttle from the airport (2 mins). Far better rates than those at the terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ever have a booking with a campsite and they just won't reply to an email?

I want to upgrade our accommodation and I can see there is availability on camp website

4 messages sent, no replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

Presumably you booked direct? Have you tried ringing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There is a small chance that they might not have opened yet as some campsites are family-run and only serve the high-season! Try phoning or check the availability of the rentals on the site from this point (to see if they are accepting immediate bookings, for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭joe1303l

AA is the only real option at the moment and there’s no competition in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

For people taking a ferry, and driving towards the La Rochelle direction, any recommendations on places to stop during the drive?

We're arriving into Roscoff on a Sunday morning, and thinking of stopping twice (2 young kids)

I found 2 McDonalds along the route (approx 140km and 300km in)

The route is about 440km long, so those two stops seem fairly evenly spread out.

All we want is somewhere to stretch our legs, use toilets, and get something small to snack on.

Anyone have any better recommendations

These are the exact stops we're considering:

McDonald's,
    Parc d'Activités La Tourelle, 22400, France

McDonald's,
    4, Avenue De L'erettegrand'haie Grand'Haie, 44810 Héric, France

This is where we stopped last year, had a nice play area outside!

McDonald's,
    4, Avenue De L'erettegrand'haie Grand'Haie, 44810 Héric, France

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MXRJy39AAoRHNMx4A?g_st=iw

We only stopped the once, we had nearly a 6 hour drive so just cracked on. The one stop was enough really and we got to the campsite at a good time!

This Heric McDonalds is a solid 3 hours into the journey to Vendee, breaks the back on the trip

A more casual stop before Rennes is the Aire d'Amor et d'Argoat (petrol pumps and convenience stop with toilets)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

If you're feeling more adventurous, there's a shopping centre south of Rennes which is pretty handy. It's just off the motorway, has a McDonald's on site, and also a park and a playground.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EWjkgvsQ79ceNizv8

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wqszRM585Fhu2z9v9

Or if you wanted to make a trip, out of the trip, there are some great spots en route. Our kids love Les Machines de l'Île in Nantes.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/nKkyW2i3vv61TCjZ9

Advertisement