Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭squonk

Maybe we need a Good Charcoal Bargain Alerts thread? Everything has gone up. I wouldn’t mind buying in bulk like you @AmpMan but don’t have the room for 20 bags. €23 isn’t bad. It’s a fair bag of charcoal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭lisij

i would buy 3-5 bags of those 20 of the order :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

I usually split with a few people in work but at 24e I don't think I'll get the numbers.

Might as well buy in B&Q as you go at that price (saying that I haven't seen B&Q prices in a while....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I got dogs abuse when I suggested a separate charcoal thread a few years ago 🤣.

lol! I think it’s a valid point though. Charcoal seems to have shot ip in price over the last while. Not to the extent the ‘fine weekend’ outdoor grilled will notice too much but if you’re buying a few big bags of lump wood in for regular cooks it is starting to turn into an kind of expensive hobby.

Well, it always was an expensive hobby. Gear, charcoal, prime cuts, beer, time etc etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Real, oldschool Bbq is about the opposite of “prime cuts”.

Rib, shoulders, briskets and so on were the cast off meats that the rich plantation owners threw down to the slaves. The slaves made it edible through long cooking and care. Anyone can grill and eat a steak. It used to take a lot care and attention to get ribs edible. Nowadays we have electronic probes that make life simple.

when I started bbqing, I had a cheap kettle and an analogue thermometer. I don’t produce better food today, but it’s much easier to do.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ate in Lewis Barbecue in Charleston in South Carolina this week. Holy moly. Best Ive ever had.

Pics never do it justice but this was the brisket

Nah, brisket is supposed to be dry! I know this from the vast majority of people's pics 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Horse Quack

On the subject of charcoal prices. I was looking at getting some lump wood charcoal from either sure fire or good wood in Drogheda.

I see sure fire also do briquettes with 7 bags of 4kg briquettes currently at €47. Does anyone have any experience of their briquettes?

I realised at the weekend that I had run out and grabbed a bag when I was in woodies and the 4kg bag of Weber briquettes was €12.

You can get 8kg bags of Weber briquettes for €19.95 but even then on a price per kg basis the sure fire briquettes are cheaper but are they any good?

if I’m going to be buying lump charcoal from them it would be handy to get the briquettes too but then if they’re bad I’m stuck with 20+ kg of briquettes.

Edit to add: by “good” I mainly mean predictable in terms of shape, length of burn and heat, basically can they be used as reliably as Weber briquettes for doing a multi hour slow cook using the snake method?

Did a 10 hour cook on Saturday. Mixture of Lidls briquettes and the Grill briquettes. Turkey, chicken, babybacks, belly ribs, pork shoulder. Strong and stable. No need for "restaurant quality" or any of that stuff

had looked at them myself and have same questions. But i still have 2 bags of weber left, no point of buying yet. Hope it dosent have any nasty fuel stuff in it

Lidl briquettes look like they’re more expensive based on what’s on their website

anyone truer the Weber lump wood? Whst do you think of it? I have some blue bag lump wood from last year in off site storage but with the weather improving I threw a few lump wood bags onto my Weber briquette order as well.

its ok, but too much small ones that fall through the grates

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Lovely, less than €2/kilo. Used to get 2.5kg Lithianian lumpwood for €5 but didn't find anything good under that price.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Last time I bought that stuff it was very poor - quite "crumbly" and took forever to generate any heat.

If others are finding it ok , maybe it was just that particular bag had got a bit of excess moisture into it or something.

Might give them another go..

Bag of Lidl charcoal. Let's see how she goes….

• Advertisement

Chicken thigh bottom rack. Pork belly and pork fillet top rack. All Lidl.

BBQ sauce for the belly. Will be buying more of the wrapped pork fillet.

Are you sure they're not pork loins? They seem too big for pork fillet!

Oh stuffed pork fillet. One was apricot and raisin, the other apple and something else. €7.50 each Lidl Deluxe.

Ah, stuffed. That explains it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Got myself a few upgrades for the Weber Kettle in the last few days.

"Plancha" flat plate - Very heavy duty so should be pretty decent for smash burgers etc.

Ceramic Smoker unit for indirect cooking - Poor mans Kamado! , it's a frame that sits in with removable ceramic plates around it and a deflector plate/pizza stone on top.

Haven't used either one yet , but really looking forward to giving them a go.

Yep, I got a new regular grill gate and charcoal baskets from them previously and price and quality were very good so decided to try these.

interested how the Plancha will work out for you, let me know please. Got a Rotisserie set myself today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Really interested to hear how the plancha works out. That's something I'm looking at getting myself.

• Advertisement

just ordered some so I’ll let you know.

All of the bags in my local Lidl were ripped when I went in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Is this using the Smokey Mountain as a regular BBQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭chases0102

Can anyone recommend a recipe/method to follow for doing a half leg/full leg of lamb on a charcoal bbq?

Set up coals to have a hot side and a less hot side.

Butterfly it, marinade it (Moroccan flavours work well) and grill it on a high heat for 5 mins on each side until charred and then for another 20 or 30 or so on a lower temperature turning the odd time.

I filled the water pan and the temp got up to 275 on the lid gauge. Probably like using it as an oven more than a BBQ grill. Took about 2.5 to 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭blue note

After the kind advice I got here I finally did a pulled pork on the BBQ. I still just can't fault my kettle. I had a fair bit of charcoal left from the previous day so left half that in and added some fresh coals and two wood chunks. I lit it at quarter past 7, left it go slightly hot so didn't start cooking until 8:30 (it had gone down to 130 by then). It was a long cook, I didn't take the meat off into 7:45, but an efficient one. Other than adding the rest of the previous days charcoal I didn't add any more fuel and still had a lot left. Other than adjust the vents the odd time and fixing the coals twice, I didn't have anything to do to control it really.

Pork was delicious too of course. It's amazing that even after a dinner you find your hunger when it's ready anyway.

Got to use the Plancha this evening finally.

Did some smash burgers and some haloumi cheese, pretty basic.

The Burgers came out really well, everyone loved them.

The plate is very stable and solid and there were no issues pressing down on them etc. No flexing of the plate or anything.

A few things that I saw though for next time, it took a very long time to get up to decent temperature and the heat distribution was very uneven, ranging from 90c on one side to 250/260 on the other.

Think there were a few factors there. I typically use charcoal baskets and did again this evening but I think the baskets aren't right for this cooking method, I think loose coals spread out will heat faster .

I also used briquettes and again I think that lump wood might burn a bit hotter and faster.

Next time will make those changes to see if it's a bit better, but very happy with results from the first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

In the market for a new BBQ, in the range of €250-€330... obviously thinking master touch but is there anything else or anywhere with good selection of stuff...will be mostly grilling but some low and slow cooks will be done on it also..any recommendations welcome

master touch imo is the best option, with further upgrade at later stage for onlyfire charcoal fire box for slow cooks and rotisserie ring kit for fancy stuff. Coming from as kamado owner, the charcoal fire box does work wonders, not quite as kamado but definitely an improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

Can you put the plancha in the oven 1st to heat it up and move it to the bbq for cooking?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Yea would echo the master touch recommendation. Got one about 5 years ago and it's still in great shape. I put a good bit of research into it at the time and it was standout option for that sort of price range and still is today. You won't regret it

Ditto. My master touch is 4-5 years old. Only really started using it very regularly last year but it’s in great shape still and I’d say the only parts I’ll need are a new grill grate and baskets at some stage but it’s a great piece of kit.

anyone have any experience/ recommendations for cooking multiple racks of ribs on a kettle? I’m planning on doing 3-4 this weekend.

I’ve only done one at a time before and use the 3-2-1 method with the briquettes arranged in the snake formation. As I’m doing at least 3 I don’t think I’ll have room to lay them flat so I got one of the rib holders from Lidl when they had them in a couple of weeks ago. It should hold all 4.

My question is does the 321 method work if you’re using a holder? Specifically can you wrap them and still fit them in the holder or is it better to just let them go 6-7 hours without wrapping?

another satisfied master touch user here fwiw

Personally I think 6 hours if far too long for babybacks but if youre worried about space you can do the first couple of hours on the BBQ and then finish them in the oven. Then maybe back on the BBQ for a nice bit of final flame.

• Advertisement

Rib town population me

they/them/theirs

way too long. 3-2-1 is for massive American St Louis cut ribs.

See the pic above. 2 hours smoking. 2 hours wrapped. 15mins in sauce.

they/them/theirs

Wrap them in pairs or in 3. No need for a racks.

they/them/theirs

Yeah Id do about the same, on the WSM too.

Speaking of, weekend looking great. Will be doing a meat shop on Thursday before the good stuff sells out. Think Ill go poultry. Have a few Indian dry rubs made up that need using.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sidford

Indian dry rubs?!? Happy days, any chance of sharing recipe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement