Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,857 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Must have started work already. I see they are back up to 29% in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭pureza

In fairness thats not the question I asked😂

in fairness I don’t know the answer to the question you asked and I would not think that it will arise with their current FM

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Polls matter when Sinn Fein are 29%, but not when they are in the doldrums. Who'd have thought that?

Aoife Moores book is now out in paperback and riding high in the Easons top sellers list again

Its a good and interesting read if you are into your politics and recent history going into a lot of detail as to who Sinn Féin are and how they operate in 2024

It's also quite sobering

Essentially edicts from outside the State (Belfast) govern what the party say or do

Currently thats directing them down as much of the populist route as possible in an effort to get into government,their route (Belfasts) to getting a UI referendum they think

Whilst the book gives lots of detail on that,its always been common knowledge and a major drag on FF's attitude towards doing business with them

Their new man from head office is supposed to be very good so We ain't seen nothing yet in terms of the charming of the voters they need

Quite an exciting time from a politics officianado's point of view and I am one of those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I see Michelle O’Neill has apologised for attending the funeral of the violent thug Bobby Storey. They knew exactly what they were doing - giving the boss a send off. Easy apologise now. Undermined the messaging around Covid response.

It would be interesting to revisit that thread and see which posters claimed she had nothing to apologise for, who fully defended her attendance and claimed she didn't break Covid rules.

Which of them will be the first to apologise for being wrong again?

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is there any block to an NI first minister or MLA sitting in the Dáil?

You have to be a TD to sit in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It would seem that there is no prescribed bar on MP/MLA being a TD too. (Although arguably the last section on the electoral act of 1992 would disbar a lot of folks!)

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government-in-ireland/houses-of-the-oireachtas/dail-eireann/

To be eligible for membership of the Dáil, you must be:

• An Irish citizen
    • At least 21

You also cannot be both a member of the Dáil and:

The Electoral Act 1992 also says that you cannot be a TD if you are ‘of unsound mind’.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

with more moving towards the extremes, its becoming less likely of a sf government, as they need those numbers to do so, so it could very well be another ffg government…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

In a thread on 5th of July 2020, FrancieBrady does not seem to see anything wrong with the large Bobby Storey funeral and instead he deflects to Leo having a few cans in a park with someone.

Interesting I cam across a comment someone else said at the time, that the Bobby Storey funeral was a perfect example of how SF and the IRA are still one and the same.

Sinn Fein are twisting so much in the wind and performing u-turns that all their loud supporters are being found out.

Maybe they will criticise her for apologising so they look consistent.

I'd agree with the less likely that there will be a SF government but that doesn't necessarily mean a FF/FG/Gr one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

So you are seeing it less likely there will be a SF government now: do you think that is partly due to the flip-flaping around within SF - for example over immigration, and over matters like the Bobby Storey funeral - back in the Covid lockdown times in 2020 you or Michelle did not seem to see anything wrong with the very large SF/IRA Bobby Storey funeral (and instead you deflected to Leo having a few cans in a park with someone ), but in recent days the SF leadership of Michelle and Mary Lou have both apologised for attending the funeral of Bobby Storey? Or is it because the public can see through the SF housing policy / can see the objections to planning permissions etc?

Its a rolling set of opinion polls

Sinn Féin could be up over 30% again with the next set

I can see them doing a deal with Fianna Fáil

Simon Harris then being leader of the opposition

Politicians are very fickle like that,he'll be shouting at Micheál martin yet and Pearse Doherty will be voting for Micheál as Taoiseach in that scenario as you can be damn sure that the UI referendum will be negotiated into the 2nd half of the new governments term

Now that vote for Taoiseach will be max fickledom

There won't be a UI referendum during the term of the next government. Why would you put up such an obviously bad prediction that destroys the rest of your analysis.

Even Pearse has been going around telling MNCs that a united Ireland will be going on the back-burner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Negotiated how? It is not within the powers of the Irish government.

I agree with some of this.
    Technically a Border Poll is in the gift of the SoS but no SoS will call a poll until a Dublin government wants one.

The back channels will be open and there will be inter-governmental negotiations on the timing of the call.

Another shocking opinion poll for SF. The lads in Belfast must be starting to get worried. Not too sure the Mary Lou, Eoin and Pearse thing is working for them anymore in the 26.

Post edited by Bobson Dugnutt on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

All about refugees.

Simon Harris cleared the tents. Why didn't Sinn Fein propose this before it happened? The lack of opposition during the recent referendums damaged the party brand as well. Banging on about Gaza not helping their poll figures either. They need to focus on domestic matters.

If these figures keep going the way they are, Mary Lou's position is uncertain.

• Advertisement

back in the Covid lockdown times in 2020 you or Michelle did not seem to see anything wrong with the very large SF/IRA Bobby Storey funeral

Once again, the facts don't back you up.

I’d imagine Matt, Donnchadh, Ruairí etc are starting to wonder about things.

The fact of the matter is they managed to get voted I so many duds to the last Dáil. You hear almost nothing from most of them. Folks like Martin Browne, Pat Buckley, Sorca Clarke, Claire Kerrane etc. Red raw useless.

Very interesting few months for SF coming up.

I was listening to Morning Ireland and a contributor who was pointing out the huge variance in different polls and the volatile nature of the electorate currently. He reckoned that when polls are like this that it will all come down to the election campaigns. At this stage I think he may be on the money.

Lynn Boylan's election isn't certain in Europe.

Does Sinn Fein even allow leadership heaves?

If the elections are a disaster for Sinn Fein in 3 weeks, we could be looking at Sinn Fein losing seats at the next election. The anti government vote is moving away from them to independents who are taking a tougher line on refugees.

The refugee issue again highlights the difference between the North and South. The North has no refugee issue, so it's grand for Sinn Fein there to take the high and mighty position and attack the Tories. That's their identity there.

Down here, where we have a massive refugee issue, Sinn Fein can't take that position. They have to adopt similar policies and similar language to the Tory Party which they attack in the North. They are in a daily conflict with themselves, self inflicted conflict.

So if Mary Lou made anti refugee comments, she could undermine the Northern Sinn Fein politicians attacks on the Tories.

18 months ago SF were polling at close to 37%, and all the talk was of Mary Lou being the next T. They’ve haemorrhaged almost half that since. That’s a problem. The knives would be out in any other party. The era of Doherty roaring and Mary Lou doing disappointed school principal is over. They really do need to change the record.

Gerry, Ted, Marty, Gerry and the rest of the top brass have a problem on their hands.

The knives would be out in any other party.

Leo had FG at 35% and took them back to GE performance levels. He lasted 4 years and apparently went of his own accord.

Party of government for almost 14 years. Battered and bruised. Still polling at the same level as the main opposition party.

I genuinely don’t know how much longer SF will hold on to Mary Lou. She’s so shrill, condescending, and lacking in energy. Very 2015 tbh. The whole Mary Lou and Michelle thing smacks of auld fellas in Belfast thinking it’s a cohesive strategy to have two women be the figurehead. The floating SF voter wants a sprinkling of United Ireland and Celtic Symphony stuff over their porridge of a fear of immigration.

Mad times for a party ran on military structures.

Party of government for almost 14 years. Battered and bruised. Still polling at the same level as the main opposition party.

You said the 'knives would be out in any other party', clearly you were BS.
    You've been talking up the demise of MLMD for yonks now, eventually you will probably be right about that too.

Also blithely ignoring the massive stirring of the FG - FF porridge on immigration and refugees to gain votes from the ultra right wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Interesting times ahead alright. There was an SF guy on morning Ireland yesterday who got very tetchy when pushed as to how they would achieve what they want from the asylum system, they are great at saying what they want but short on detail as to how to achieve it.

I wonder are people copping on to this now..

Advertisement