Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting articles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭vswr

That's part and parcel for J2 on all DF personnel. Nothing secretive about it. If anything, I'd be surprised if they weren't already doing what the article says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is no longer a military story, its about the active and deliberate violation of UN mandated sanctions by an Irish company.

It will be dealt with by the Dept of Enterprise, the ODCE and AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭mupper2

This was all sadly inevitable,a couple of the lads who wheeled and dealed this have been pushing the envelope on stuff like this for well over a decade and were never called on it so why would they stop...

A sad situation at Casement today.

Condolences with his family and comrades, may he rest in peace.

Not an article but media anyway.

Barry Cowen given a bit of a rough ride on the Micheal Reid show this morning on LMFM on the topic of the triple lock.

https://shows.acast.com/lmfm-michael-reade-show-podcasts/episodes/the-michael-reade-show-thursday-2nd-of-may-2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The Air Corps have the below Tender out.

This Support Framework tender is for the provision of sheet metal repair services to work with and to assist Air Corps Sheet Metal Work Shop personnel in sheet metal maintenance of aircraft at Casement Aerodrome.

Whats the chances when this Tender is awarded it will be all former Air Corps staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fcuk's sake, they can't even bend a bit of tin in-house nowadays.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭mupper2

I said it before, they'll privatise everything they can, this isn't a bug it's a feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭RavenP

I actually think that neoliberal ideology is part of the reason for the slow implementation of the CoDF. Elements within government and civil service are ideologically opposed to any government spending not going to the private sector. If soldiers were agency staff costing the state 700euro a day they would find money for defence.

• Advertisement

Since our political Masters do be worried about polls so much hopefully they take note about peoples feelings on Defence

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0508/1447894-europe/

COS this morning is dreaming of his potenial EU Pension and Perks

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-sean-clancy-eumc-european-military-6379175-May2024/

General Clancy has been appointed Chair of the EUMC and will be promoted to 4-Star rank.

Congratulations to him and to the Defence Forces and indeed to the State for the honour. I think a non-aligned voice at the head of the EUMC will be a necessary factor in the evolution of EU/NATO cooperation and security of democratic western Europe.

Starts May 2025. He will be taking a number of personal with him. Will tie in nicely for the new defence structure with plenty of new promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭sparky42

if it was from a nation serious about defence, perhaps, from us…

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

congrats to the man, perhaps it might represent a small step in terms of this country growing up a bit ….

• Advertisement

Looking at some of the comments from the politicians at the Foreign Affairs Committee… Its going to take a lot more than this.

It will of course, but it remains a significant appointment nonetheless.

Not just to be a voice for our region and our traditions, but also as a huge learning opportunity for the Staff Officers the General will bring with him. That in turn will benefit the DF with improved knowledge, skills and systems.

There is now 12 months before the appointment commences, for arrangements to be made, and for the new CoS to be selected. An ideal juncture perhaps to have General Clancy's successor not be a CoS, but to be the first Chief of Defence.

I really don't see any downside to this decision.

With a big clear out happing so by May 25 and the new postions in the new defence structure how will the jobs be filled. Will it be advertised like AGS or all government appointments.

Id say there is some politics going on in the background with lads and ladies jocking for the new postions

hell I’m sure there politics at play for any of the flag positions, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Looking at the GOC 2 Brigiade and his list of

credentials he may be in the right place and seniority at the right time to become the 1st CHOD

• Advertisement

He only became a 1-Star 8 weeks ago. At best he'll be in the contest to head the Land Component in the Re-org.

Is the ACoS due to retire next year? He seems younger than Class of '81

Transfer some Army Colonels to the Air Corps and navy to do Admin tasks.

I agree, but lets not pretend that they are just lone voices spouting that Rubbish, both there and in the general public. I have no doubt the old "EU ARMY" shite will continue to be rolled out, aided by the fact that FG/FF have spent 100 years not talking about defence matters and letting this type of shite be pushed over and over.

Its true, they have made themselves a hostage to fortune. The current government only have their parties' predecessors to blame for the hard task this all becomes now.

We are quiet the Nation when you look at it. On the upside the examiner this morning is saying naval number are levelling off

Like a submarine levelling off 2 feet above crush depth, with the pumps at 110% capacity.

Lovely image there !! Question is do our hero’s make it back to the surface …

While it’s still effectively the soundbites of a dying government, interesting lines from Shapps on Sky News this morning talking about European NATO members not reaching the NATO figure and then there’s this bit:

“That’s why this government is committed to [spending 2.5% of GDP on defence by 2030] and I want to see other European countries do the same.”

He added: “We set a Nato minimum of 2% 10 years ago to be met this year. We’ve now raised that to 2.5%, but meantime only two-thirds of Nato countries have got to the 2%.

“What about those countries who enjoy the umbrella of European security but aren’t even part of Nato, who aren’t even contributing?”

Phillips told him: “I don’t want to put you off, but you’re sounding slightly Trumpish here.”

Shapps said: “I think everyone should play their part and pay their part, that is certainly true, because in the end if you’re in a country that does not spend on your own defence but enjoy the overall umbrella of a security apparatus then you enjoy the benefits but you’re not paying in.

“In this more dangerous world, I think everybody does need to pay.”

Its hard not to think he might be referring to us…

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/youre-sounding-slightly-trumpish-trevor-phillips-accuses-grant-shapps-of-aping-ex-president_uk_6649ae39e4b00e1a0a6c6a9f

• Advertisement

I don't care for Shapps, but I wouldn't characterise that as a Trumpian remark for the sake of it. I think its fair comment.

Ireland needs to begin being very clear about its defence policy, vis-a-vis our neighbours and partners.

No change to military non-alignment / entry to NATO without consent of the people

Yes to increased cooperation on areas of mutual concern (cyber, undersea, trafficking etc)

Yes to vastly increased investment in order to surveil and protect our own back yard and to contribute to the regional intelligence picture

Yes to a target percentage of GNI* on Defence, but not of GDP, which is skewed in Ireland's case. 2% of GDP would mean a Defence budget of €11.5 Billion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

To be clear , the only reason UK provides and security to ireland is because its in the UKs interest,

If that interest were to change

For most of the 20th century we were broke , with little resources , and on the far northwest of europe , its only the in ast 30 odd years that we have much worth protecting ,

These days its data and cables -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

to be fair, if we had been willing to fund a basic level of defence we could have been in a better position throughout the 20th century. However I think at this point it might be far more the issue that the U.K. is no longer in the position to cover our lack of interest in defence.

We probably should have installed that primary radar before those waves of Israeli F-15EX I's arrive off our south coast!

A glib comment, yes, but quite seriously; would we be foolish to assume that the Mossad now won't start f**king with us, just because they can? If they haven't already.....

I'd be a little more concerned with our troops on the Israeli / Lebabon border. Neutrality & all that.

Its ok Simon and Mickey got there soundbites this morning they dont have to worry about stray shells and missiles that may hit irish posts and convoys when they are in the Dail

I wouldn't be so much concerned for the Troops themselves, as for some sort of diplomatic retaliation, perhaps a complaint from Israel to the UN about Ireland's involvement in UNIFIL, given its new political position etc etc.

Though at the same time I'm sure potential consequences of that were considered in the mix by the Government prior to this morning's announcement, and they went ahead anyway. Which is fair enough IMHO.

The below taken from the times today

She asked how many of the 8,000 applicants to the Defence Forces in 2023 had been recruited, and Ms McCrum confirmed later in the meeting that it was 415. Some 755 personnel left in the same period.

What happened over 7500 that applied but didnt make it to training? Have they done an excercise to see what causes this?

Do you think anyone who applies for a job is suitable for that job?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Of course not but the numbers applying and the not progressing are very high. I wonder is the Aptitude tests causing the issue.

For some reason entry requirements tests and medicals have always been to really high standards. That's why you have so many Irish in the British Army who have failed at some point in the PDF process. It's been a similar story for decades.

There should be absolutely no lowering of standards in a race to the bottom.

Speed up the process, speed up the testing and medicals etc, and then pay people properly and give them limitless opportunities.

For a job that requires emotional maturity, good judgement, mental toughness, good communication, excellent physical health, excellent eyesight and hearing, and proficiency in a number of physically demanding skills; 1 in 20 does not sound to me like a particularly high failure rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

1 in 20 is not the failure rate, it's the pass rate. 19 in 20 is the failure rate.

When you consider that only a subset of the general population is interested in the roles, it seems very high to me and absolutely should be studied.

If for example fitness is a major hurdle, more effort could be put into offering introductory training programmes. Similarly if specific medical issues are ruling out a high percentage, that could be considered. Hypothetical of course but it's a personnel crisis so they should know what's causing the issues.

There has to be some limit on how many can be accepted, so candidates who meet the standards don't get in because other candidates did better at aptitude test or interview or whatever.

Scrap the cap!

The Navy dumped the test and numbers went up straight away. The other two branches should do the same otherwise its a fantasy to think they will get numbers up to level

• Advertisement

The point I was getting at is they are un-necessarily high. People can fail Irish tests, but pass UK and French Foreign legion ones no problem,which are forces with far more opportunity and better pay opportunities, it not a case of let anyone in as sandbags.

Know of two who went to other national forces due to being rejected from the Irish process.

Supposedly easier medical and tests to get into the likes of the Fire Brigade and Gardai, which in Ireland, you could argue you could be in more harms way, than in the defence forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd wonder how many of those 8,000 applicants are Irish/EEA/refugees with no criminal record?

No.

But it is interesting that a conversation has started that some said was impossible just a few months ago.

Yes, it is being prompted by political circumstances in other Countries (and in the case of the Tories it is absolute desperation to appeal to their old base), but it goes to show that the reality in Europe has shifted.

As I keep saying, when all other possibilities to staff an enlarged military, Europe-wide, have been exhausted, whatever remains, will be the solution.

Its far less likely in Ireland, but no longer impossible.

go have a look at the article on the Thinpinstripe on the resources needed for the Tory “plan”, even if you reduced it to only 10% (3k), you would still need a huge increase in resources to the DF, for a policy that is going to be massively unpopular, and extremely limited value. Such resources actually invested in the DF would make vastly more sense.

Also given the general reaction to this Tory insanity, take a guess as to which Irish party would volunteer to commit political suicide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement