Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hub controller gone into liquidation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

WOndered how long it would last as was a very clunky system to use. It's like they never moved with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

Not surprised really - I was delighted to get a free wifi enabled controller at the time but I never really saw what value they added or what their business model was….and I certainly wasn't going to pay a monthly sub just to access my own heating system!

I do hope the remaining 4,000+ paying users get sorted somehow or at least get told that they need to change their controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

not surprised, poor product that relied on people getting it free with grants

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

is this much different to Hive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

This is my concern with all 'Smart', cloud based, systems; including Tado. There are now so many risks associated with cloud services that I avoid anything that relies on them for basic functionality. You can't control your system if your broadband goes down or the supplier's IT systems are faulty or become compromised. (We all saw the impact of a hack on the HSE.) Even worse you could be left with very expensive doorstops if the supplier goes out of business or just decides to stop supporting your 'obsolete' system. 
    For these reasons I installed the Resideo Evohome as it has a standalone controller and only uses the cloud for remote access. If the Resideo/Honeywell operation is compromised in any way, the system operates normally and schedules can still be altered, as necessary.

Post edited by NewClareman on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Cheers I was looking for something. My provider went through similar recently (smart zone) and while another company did step in I really want to move off the reliance.

Evohome is pretty good, but very expensive to buy in Ireland. I bought mine from Amazon Germany, including 12 radiator units, for under €1000 on special offer.

When operating standalone you lose smart weather compensation and remote access, but that's it. You can use it with Homey for some impressive smart home integration, without any development. For $2.99/mth this adds some really impressive smarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Can you control the hot water from that Honeywell unit. That has always been the worst thing about Smartzone is that you need the app. There is a on the wall control for heating but not hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I am getting notifications to extend sub from the end of May. I presume it will die at the end of May? Edit. I just spoke to Climote and they tell me they have been bought out and are still in business. I will let my sub lapse for a few months though.

The Evohome uses a common wall unit for heating and hot water. The hot water schedule can be configured, locally or remotely, like any other heating zone. The only difference is that the 'HOT' water temperature is preset using the wall controller at installation and cannot be changed on a schedule.
    This is the product brochure for the Evohome. There's been a few changes since it was written. The most recent is 'Sunny Room' where it takes account of solar gain in a room set as 'sunny' when the weather forecast is for sun.

Note: I don't use the hot water option, hence the edits. It is actually very good and I've just decided to get the hot water kit.

Post edited by NewClareman on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Got email from climote looking for payment for coming year. No mention of whether the company will remain operational or any reference to trading difficulty. I see they have tied up.with someone else but I won't be paying for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

My in-laws have a holiday place in Roscommon and are looking at a climote to turn heating on when not there. No internet in house. I hear kingspan bought them out?

Are there any alternatives to climote that are in same price bracket or any introductory offers does anyone know?

Thanks!!

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Without internet doesn't seem likely for any model for remote (i.e. not near the primary device) setup.

Even Zigbee models would require Internet for remote access as far as I know.

Advertisement