Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Speaking of zero Refugee policy, The Dutch want to knock the issue on the head

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13425425/Netherlands-EU-rules-strictest-asylum-policy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54,134 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This will be fascinating to see how this will be handled in Europe and could be a litmus test for all countries.

There's some really common sense points in that list but what interests me is how will they deport the illegal asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Look, I understand your feelings, but apathy is our enemy right now. You know how much the main parties are panicking behind the scenes? Look at FG suddenly trying to sound hard on immigration, yeah right. Yesterday at the FF parliamentary meeting TDs and Senators "ambushed" Micheal Martin and were told to expect between 30,00 - 50,000 asylum seekers this year alone! Expect those numbers to be on the lower side, I'd personally say you could double or triple that. SF are in freefall and are going to find out exactly how hard their landing will be in the local elections. All the main parties are purely reactive and on the run.

IMO now is exactly the time to vote against them to punish them for their policies that have brought us to this situation. So what if they aren't able to form a government at the next general election? A collapse in their vote will cause them to change their policies to catch as may votes as possible. FF &FG are "catch all" parties that always try and suit their policies to get the maximum number of votes. SF are trying to be that, but are finding it difficult to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds.

So, if a government can't be formed after a few months a new election will be called and the main parties will come around with their tails between their legs if they want to be voted in. Don't forget politicians main aim is to get into power and hold onto it for as long as possible, so they will do whatever it takes. Do you not remember the amount of politicians voting to abolish the Seanad, and then when they lost seats at the next election they scurried into the Seanad? Aodhan O'Riordan is one particular example. They have been let away with things for generations and their arrogance has brought us to this situation. It's time to teach them some manners.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Kaiser, I have to say you're knocking it out of the park this morning. Fair play.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It should be noted that Wilders is probably further to the right than even the Irish 'far right'. He openly describes himself as 'anti Muslim' and has given numerous speeches attacking Islam. He is naturally a strong supporter of Israel too and says he wants to move the Dutch embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

Yes, and do you think it will get any better between now and a general election? This is already the number one issue on people's minds, now if Harris was to wait until next year for a general election there will be at least another 30,00 to 50,000 asylum applications in the country. They can't all be put in East Wall, Coolock, Roscrea, Crooksling, Naas, Westport, Ballina, Killarney, Newtownmountkennedy et al. FG may be happy to see SF vote haemorrhaging, but this issue is just too big. I think this one will hurt all the parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The thing is though — I'm not arguing with you. And your post, well-written and sincere as it is, is a perfect demonstration that there is an almost automatic knee-jerk reaction to take a post which attempts to contextualise poorer migrants in a less demeaning and more understanding light and interpret them as meaning we need to look after them or that migration controls should be lessened.

That's not my argument here — my argument is simply that it's not a necessary component of a pro-controlled migration outlook to vilify or denigrate migrants, or to see ourselves as better than them due to some superiority we have earned and they have not. It's tempting yes, if you want less migrants then portraying them as hopelessly lazy or "the great unwashed" is a handy image to create. But it detracts from, and turns a lot of people away from, the perfectly reasonable and compelling socioeconomic arguments against heavy migration and multiculturalism.

Yes — Ireland has very much fought through hard times. But there are circumstances that have favoured Ireland too, unlike other former imperial colonies. Our people fled to places like America, and had embedded themselves and intermarried into American society just in time for that country's rise to unparalleled global dominance — helping us to establish strong links and investment and an ongoing base for Irish emigration. We have maintained for the most part very friendly and cordial relations with the old imperial overlord, with extensive social and economic links, and again trade and investment. We were in Europe, which gave us the chance to join the new free trade bloc across the continent, helping us to further step out of the UK's shadow and to develop deep trading links with Europe. We have also not found ourselves in the path of any huge disaster, genocide, invasion etc.

That's not to take away from Ireland's achievements since independence, which are hugely impressive (a fact which seems to be lost on many on here who seem to do nothing but tell us how sh*t Ireland is and how much of a joke the country has become) — but some circumstances have very much been in our favour in ways that they have not for other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Why should it be noted? You're coming across as petty now. It's a coalition. Anything you can find to go against what many will agree is a political step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That is another way of looking at it .

But as I said a few times now before the health service needs these people .

It cannot function without adequate numbers of staff and there is no realistic option to say we will run a reduced service until we have enough numbers of Irish nurses and doctors trained and willing , to stay in the service , as I think you can understand .

Although you would be forgiven for thinking that successive ministers of health have tried cutting back services because of lack of staff . They have simply cut back staff and frozen recruitment every time there is an outcry about how much public services cost .

With the result that people burn out and/ or leave resulting in more problems for the already beleaguered health service . Services suffer as a result , people are not properly cared for and as we see some people die .

" Oh where have our health workers gone ? Only foreign nurses and doctors" .. ad nauseum , rinse and repeat.

If a stable secure workforce is desired , people should be paid properly consideration given to their accomodation and transport especially working shifts in busy city centre hospitals .

No service can survive the extreme fluctuations in staff numbers and services that see in this country EVERY FEW YEARS .

It however is not on topic for this thread as we are not discussing asylum seekers anymore.

So won't reply further to this .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The locals & Euros are first. Who really cares if the political parties are decimated on local authorities. It won't be the end of the world. Likewise with MEPs, quite invisible to the average citizen. They pop up now & then with wacky agendas like putting all the EU on the same time zone, whilst others cosy up to the Kremlin. Give them the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

There was a Portuguese tv crew doing a report from the canal campsite today.

All this attention is only advertising the country for more to arrive.

I'm perfectly aware that the locals and Europeans are first, but the main parties will be looking very closely at the results of them with the general election in mind. The same arguments will still apply in the run up to the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

France 24 yesterday aswell.

I think the continental EU will be happy for us to become a dumping ground for surplus AS. Geographically it makes sense and there is green eye over our tax system.

That's before we get to non contributing to NATO defense which I think is wrong in the current climate.

A decision has been taken somewhere and we are truly fucked I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Wouldn't such a PM be extremely divisive in any society though? He's literally admitting to being a racist and to having a major problem with one religion in his country. Also, the other three smaller parties in his coalition are all right wing / hard right too.

Can you imagine a Taoiseach announcing 'I am proudly anti-Semitic and consider the Jewish faith a scourge'.?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thornton Hall to be used now, why wasn't this developed for housing teachers, nurses and guards over the last 20 years. No lets just lash a load of tents on it. Also on the news it was talking about medical needs for those living in tents etc. Were we not told they are young fit men, they'd be no drain. This government deserve all they get, sad thing is it'll be us that pay and those arriving living in squalor and tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/state-owned-land-being-identified-for-asylum-seekers-as-grand-canal-tent-city-grows-taoiseach/a117399527.html

I'm not going to scroll back pages to see if this is posted but just caught this while on my lunch break…

Is Crooksling not already identified as a "safe and secure" location. Why are we/they looking for land to let them pitch tents. This really is madness. Sure lets gift them the Phoenix Park as a safe haven 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

These doctors and engineers need medical cards, can’t be having them getting sick and missing out on paying our pensions and building the FG 250k houses.

Crooksling is probably full already. Same as the rural towns and villages. Theres hundreds arriving a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Not sure what the capacity at Crooksling is but the govt are in the process of developing 6 state owned sites around the country. I dont know if Crooksling is one of these.

Thats the problem.

Nobody knows because there is no communication from govt.

Harris is saying that an alternative camp site is being worked on now, but again, no details of where, what the capacity is, when it will be ready, when the next camp comes onstream and so forth.

I predict an absolute disaster by mid summer, sadly. 1000 tents in the city centre by then? quite likley if no suitable accom is found before end of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

My thoughts have been well summarized by Kaiser above - but just posting to thank you for taking the time to reply at length.

I do agree with much of what you have said in your last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

only catching up but this is one of the greatest posts I’ve ever read.

Whoever you are more power to you

True. We will get no sympathy on the continent.

And only on Monday, Harris was saying the EU migration pact is going to take care of all this. Its not. What the pact is going to mean for Ireland is contributing hundreds of millions to other EU countries and accepting thousands more migrants.

The only way out is to tear up the 1951 convention and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

True..I have it in my head its the same majority of lads reappearing down by the canal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The voting public can choose to decimate the parties representation in the June elections, without substantial effects on our daily lives. But doing so will give the political system an all mighty kick up the arse. We'd soon see a lot of them changing their tune, not just in rhetoric but in actions.

Postman delivered the Sinn Féin Euro bumph today, 'Standing up for Ireland' or something it headlines. I read it out and we both laughed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

At least Thornton Hall would give some capacity. Its a big site.

Hoe many beds are they expecting it to deliver do we know?

They really need to include wraparound services and move the IPO processing centre out to Thornton hall or similar.

So that asylum seekers dont need to keep trekking back into town for appointments etc and ultimatley camping in the city centre anyway, because its easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

Lots of towns/villages with empty town houses. We need to give grants to builders/developers to take in international applicants. Then we need to advertise our good deeds to the rest of the world so they come here.

We used to have 8.5 million here during the famine, the Irish immigrated everywhere bla bla bla.

Advertisement