Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 out of 3 young adults living at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

See, again, that is a complete lack of understanding.

Small Landlords make up the vast majority of owners of rental properties, particularly in areas outside cities and large towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Gary_dunne

It's not a lack of understanding, I know that they do and I'm raising that this in itself is an issue. I'm saying we already have too many of them and we certainly don't need more.

Being a LL shouldn't be seen as a hands off passive income stream, they need to be properly managed and regulated so tenants aren't waiting 3 months for something like a faulty washing machine to be repaired. I doubt my previous LL or any LL for that matter would live in the house where every time the washing machine went on there's a 50/50 chance your kitchen would get flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭shimadzu

I'd say most landlords that purchased a property for rent 10 years ago would not be making between 3.5K and 6K a month currently, the average rent in the country is about 1.5K so your numbers don't really add up. Rentals are an investment for the owners with the end goal of providing additional wealth, without private rentals we would all be dependent on the state putting a roof over our heads and we can all see how well that is going currently.

I used the example provided by a person who manages a property on behalf of their parents who are the LL's in the Greater Dublin Area. They provided the figures, not me. The figures were 40k before and 32k after tax which is 3.3k a month which for a 3 or 4 bed in Dublin is fairly standard.

Simple maths should indicate that if small LLs are leaving, and you don’t want more to come into the sector, this would make matters worse not better.

That is begrudgery, you don’t want LLs to benefit, even if them leaving makes the rental sector worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It may be "unfair" to some, but for people who bought "homes" instead of "property" negative equity won't apply. In any case, we absolutely need to bring the prices of houses down and fast, because without doing that we are setting up and extremely grim future for thousands of people. And that reduction in prices will either happen with a crash, which nobody wants, or it'll happen as a consequence of building more stock, and I'd include public housing into that equation which is the much better outcome for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

If you remove HAP tomorrow 10s of thousands of people will not be able to pay their rent. They will be evicted for non payment of rent and then replaced by the 10s of thousands of young adults living at home because they cant find somewhere to rent.

Landlords wont see any difference at all. The people who are evicted will though.

You shouldn't be so quick to use others examples without doing the sums first. The poster you are refering to indicates that the net rent is 80% of the gross. The marginal rate of income tax in Ireland is 20%, there is also PRSI, USC, Property Tax and Rental Expenses. Taking into account tax credits even if that posters parents had no other form of income with the exception of rent they would still struggle to achieve a net rent of 80%. When you consider that a significant number of elderly people have a state and private pension it makes it even less likely that the numbers you used to try and make your point are accurate.

I very clearly explained in basic terms how they are already very much benefiting. It seems that you want increased benefits for all LL's no matter what and tenants just to have a roof over our head should be thankful that we get to pay for their asset.

You completely ignored the second part of my statement, "Being a LL shouldn't be seen as a hands off passive income stream." This is all LL's want them to be, they don't want to properly maintain their properties. I'd prefer more didn't come into the market as they cannot maintain their properties to a decent standard.

So I'm not to use an actual LL's figures that they freely provided through their own experience. I thought that was far more reasonable than to create my own out of the blue.

I was using a simplified example but I'll simplify it even more, LL's are getting their tenants to pay for their asset worth 000ks that they only needed a deposit to pay for. Any sale of this asset will result in a minimum of x 5 return on investment. They don't need further benefits or incentives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

HAP is propping up the rental sector. Plenty of HAP recipients are renting underoccupied houses with multiple unused bedrooms.

You can use whatever figures you like, but when you use figures without verifying their accuracy its important that its highlighted so other boards users can view your future posts with the heavy skepticism they deserve.

That's how the majority of business works you invest some of your money, borrow some from banks or investors. You buy assets with the money and use the assets and your labor to generate further income. The long term goal is that anybody who invested ends up better off than they were at the start. Our whole economy is based on this system just look at energy production, food production and private health care all of which are essential and all are industries that make significant profits.

The issue now is that there is limited supply and as we know that drives up prices, its not in the interest of those with skin in the game to do anything that would harm current rents and the state are no longer capable of delivering housing so I feel high rents will be the status quo until there is a major recession and job losses. What happens then is that banks limit lending and those who are cash rich or have assets to borrow against snap up cheap properties and the whole cycle starts over again.

I truly find it baffling how somebody with such a rudimentary understanding of mathematics feels so confident in telling landlords how they should be running the rental industry.

And I thought I clearly explained that if those LLs are leaving the rental sector an selling/going to short lets, and you don’t want new ones, that decreases available properties for tenants.

This is simple stuff.

I'm advocating for more Buy to Rent properties to be built as we need far more stock. I just don't agree that John and Mary renting out their 2nd home, who only want passive income with inadequate maintenance are the right people to solve the rental crisis.

It needs to be a properly regulated industry, not "Ah ye we'll get around to fixing that" and a month goes by and your kitchen has been flooded 15 times and still nothing because they were on their holidays and all tenants get is another 2 week wait.

That’s quite a statement, what do you mean by collapse and disaster as it relates to property?

Using hyperbole doesn’t make your point more valid.

It sounds like you want more institutional investors building/buying up whole developments for rental income, competing with owner occupiers for available supply. One thing you can absolutely gaurantee with professional investors in BTL’s, they will maximise rental yield by ensuring rents are raised as new, first time rentals come on stream.

It isn't hyperbole, it is a scenario that directly happened to me and no doubt something similar to many other tenants (which I'm assuming you haven't been anytime recently)

I'd prefer a state ran BTL but as they seem incompetent in running most areas of Government we would need professionals to do it. We need purpose built BTL properties that are regulated and run properly, it's very simple. Our current model isn't working by any stretch of the imagination and the LL's renting out one property are in no way a viable long term solution.

94% of all rental properties in Ireland are owned by the people you want out of the sector, private, non institutional investors.

That statistic should drive home the incongruousness of your viewpoint. Again, whether you mean to or not, whether you can understand it or not, you appear to be advocating for a ramping up of institutional investors to build for rental profit. Why then is there such an outcry when REITs/MNCs/Ryanair etc buy up whole developments? You want the profits flowing out of the State on low tax rates/tax free?

I know that they are and the rental market is an absolute sham of a system that isn't working which is why we need professionals to take it away from these crappy Landlords and provide the professional service that tenants require and more importantly deserve.

Will it be quick, of course it won't but it certainly needs to happen.

So, even though you don’t need to be a “mechanic” to see what is coming in the housing market, you don’t want to speculate on how the housing market will collapse?

The housing market collapsed in the last recession because we, amongst other things, built too much, too fast, offered and accepted easy credit and speculated in BTLs. Now we have increased population, limits on credit and not enough rentals.

It’s ok for you to speculate, let’s have it.

• Advertisement

That’s just waffle. How in your view, is the housing market going to collapse into disaster?

The ratio of professional landlords to one off landlords has increased significantly over the last number of years, have you noticed any improvements in the rental market during that time? The current view is that professional landlords are driving the increase in rents as they are the ones bringing the majority of new rental units to the rental market.

For the first time on this thread we agree, nothing but pure waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Pure waffle is right.

The CA forum is full of threads from people saying the end is nigh. You can find forums going back at least 7 years saying that housing prices are on the brink of collapse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The "current view" is wrong. The lack of supply is driving the increase in rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The problem with the current dominance of non-professional landlords is that you can't have a stable secure long-term rental market with them. You will never know when they will kick out their tenants because they have a brother or someone else wanting to use the property. Or they themselves might want to move in. This might be genuine or might just be a pretext for eviction but either way there's very little security for tenants.

Another problem is that, because they are large in number, they form a voting block and can effectively stop legislation that might reform the sector.

Advertisement