Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I picked up a can of Rascals’ Strawberry Milkshake IPA. I noticed it has a logo indicating it is vegan friendly, but the ingredients list mentions lactose.

I had thought lactose was derived from milk sugars. Is there such a thing as vegan lactose, or am I just putting my ignorance on show for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's lab efforts to make it, but that's just mislabeled

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I posted something similar before about the Sailor Sam lager. It states it's gluten free but the ingredients include gluten 🤔.

And in fact, it’s a Strawberry Shake IPA, no “milk” in the name. So couple that with a vegan friendly logo and lactose noted in tiny print, might be an unfortunate surprise for a vegan who picked it up!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Would imagine the standard can template has the vegan friendly logo and someone forgot to take it off. Happens to the best of us, I forgot to list salt on a gose label once. 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Tbf listing something as being free of a particular allergen is serious enough if it's incorrect.

Yeah it's poor form, but I wonder would the name 'milkshake' prompt most vegans to double check the ingredients rather than rely on the 'vegan friendly' logo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Aye fair enough, my remark was more in reference to something labelled as gluten-free containing gluten

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, I think some people can have pretty severe reactions to lactose, too!

I’ve dropped them a courtesy email as a heads up. I’d assume most vegan people or those with a lactose intolerance would have a habit to double check ingredients lists, but still - it’s been noticed, so better to say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

And it's not a nice as there first run of this beer..Cost cutting evident on ingredients and understandable so in this preasent environment for craft breweries.

Rascals came back. The vegan symbol should not be on the label, given that it contains lactose and as such its inclusion was en error. They will let their customers know.

Whiplash have free shipping from their webshop this week. I've checked and there are no new releases planned to hit their webshop this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Products can have ingredients containing gluten and still be labelled 'gluten free' if processed by an enzyme to bring the gluten content below 20 parts per million.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Good for them. They've been quiet of late, clearly due to the move to a new facility. Good to see Aldi continuing to increase it's Irish craft beer options, following cans from Lough Gill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

western Herd have a sale at the moment. Siege Pale Ale, Back Beat witbier, The stout and a coffee pale ale are reduced to €2.50 for a 440ml can.

https://www.westernherd.com/our-beer-2/

Eight Degrees cans back in the north this week, anyone had their core range recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What's in Lidl?

• Own brand
    • Rascals something?
    • Kinnegar 440ml cans range.
    • Galway Bay Brewery 4packs x33cl
    • BrewDog 4packs x 33cl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Little Fawn 4-packs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had it last night and it's a great beer, clearly a lot of hops used unlike what Lough Gill and Dot brew for Aldi which is fine but usually obviously brewed on a tight budget

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wicklow Wolf's Sugarloaf Juicy IPA was perfect for the warm weather.. very tasty!

Came across a video on Irish craft breweries and the first mentioned was 12 Acres. Haven’t seen them in an age. Presumably they are no more? Recall seeing them in Lidl, on occasion. Social media channels gone quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Anyone know if any of the big London events like Craft Beer Rising survived.

Don't know if the scene has gone quiet or it's just because I am not involved any more but you don't hear about them as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

Unfortunately 12 Acres is no more.

Approx. a third (I think) of their product was exported to Russia. When sanctions kicked in after the Ukraine invasion the business was as good as doomed.

They tried to go part time for a period but it couldn't be turned around sadly.

The main man, Paddy, a thorough gent, is now employed in distilling, or at least was up to a few months ago.

'Twas good beer. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Russian market taking Irish craft in at a reasonable volume was always an odd one; what made them particularly like Irish stuff?

I remember Kellys in Clane exporting there (they closed long before sanctions though); and also seeing Russian language label stock on the shelves when doing a tour of Rye River.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Have any beers dissapeared off Irish shelves now that the deadline has passed for them to have the return logo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sailor Sam (Dundalk Brewery) seems to have gone from Aldi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Tried the Hope seasonal summer beer yesterday. A very pleasant and fresh hazy New England style. Not always a fan of this kind of thing but I'd buy again.

• Advertisement

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/rescue-plan-for-firm-behind-well-known-dublin-and-galway-pubs-fails/

Paywalled, but opening states that: A proposed scheme to rescue the company behind six well-known pubs connected to the owners of the Galway Bay brewery brand has failed, the Circuit Court has been told.

Pizza Eile Ltd, which operates pubs including the Black Sheep in Dublin 1 and Against the Grain in Dublin 2, will now seek to enter voluntary liquidation with a creditors meeting called for later this month. It is proposed that Kieran Wallace of Interpath Advisory be…

What pubs are comprised in this group?

EDIT: From the Galway sub-reddit, Kieran Wallace of Interpath Advisory was appointed as interim examiner to Pizza Eile Ltd. This company is behind six pubs including three in Dublin: The Brew Dock on Amiens St in Dublin 1, the Black Sheep on Capel Street in Dublin 1 and Against the Grain on Wexford Street in Dublin 2. In Galway, the pub group owns The Oslo Bar on Upper Salthill Road, The Salt House on Raven Terrace and The Dew Drop Inn on Mainguard Street

Whatever about the Dublin bars, x3 bars closing in one go in Galway would be tough going.

Advertisement