Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well before time and pretty specific. I feel they've a good handle on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

So Thunderstorm warning issued for Cork, Limerick and Clare from 3pm to 8pm. AND I just remembered - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN is playing in Pairc Ui Caoimh this evening starting at 7pm ( no support ).

I wonder could this concert get deferred to later start / cancelled? Thunderstorms, Electrics????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Even with the warning, the chances of a thunderstorm being directly overhead at 7pm is very low. A yellow warning is only a take notice. At worst a big downpour with a flash or two.

No need to jump the gun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Deub

What are the chances for hail?

If any, where is it mostly going to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Some decent convection building now in many inland areas. Showers should become visible on radar soon. I'd say there'll be some biggies around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

I reckon there could be some hail in the heavier showers today. As to where, wherever the heaviest showers are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Heavy convective showers forecast for Dublin tonight with possibility of thunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭The Macho Man

Been a beautiful clear morning here in Portarlington but the dark heavies are starting to build!

Clouds coming in over Cork harbour ( Cobh in distance 3rd pic, left of boats ) seems to be from North. Pics taken when i was down in weavers pt ( 15 mins from me ) for lunch walk ( 2nd pic ) :D .. Could we say they are Thunder Clouds??

Met eireann have updated the Thunderstorm warning - Its now for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Monaghan, Clare, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Leitrim, Roscommon

Heavy Downpours with Thunderstorms and Hail

Valid: 15:00 to 20:00 Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thunder and lightning just West of Galway city from a friend .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am west Co Wexford. Very dark west of me, with some nice buildups. A few rumbles seem to be from Mullinavat area, towards Waterford.

The CBs seem to be staying just inside that eastern border of the latest Yellow warning..😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

….

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Torrential rain and thunder down in Carlow town in the last 45 minutes, bone dry back home just over the border in South Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,077 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kaboom, waterford city the last 30mins or so, torrential rain, some flooding around apparently….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Can hear distant thunder here in carrick , still fairly warm out too

Looks to be something tracking to Galway from the East heard distant thunder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,077 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

very distant rumbles here, nice looking echo north of waterford, kilkenny/wexford border…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Really nice cell over north athlone at the minute. Firing every minute or so. Rain is pelting down, big hail too. I'm parked at the Hodson bay at the minute and it's right over head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like Cork could get walloped in about 30mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2 absolutely massive cloud to ground strikes near Lecarrow, north of athlone. Wish I wasn't driving for them and could have recorded. And the sound of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I can see it here from the north side. It’s absolutely gorgeous from afar.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Pelting down and frequent heavy thunder - South Galway / Clare border

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Still firing away in Cork, fairly active day, some fine big convection showing up in Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Cork2021

funny how it never travelled through North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

There is now near Mallow anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like avoiding the city and staying out West!! Very little reports, I'd say it must be mainly high up lightning or else nobody in West Cork follows weather on here!!

Same here in Galway stayed to the East and went South

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jesus mad seeing how many strikes there are in West Cork, yet MÉ have removed the warning and put one for the East Coast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭pureza

Thats a rain warning though,it is pretty wet here now in East wicklow anyway,and the lightning activity in cork has all but died out as the weather from the East is chasing it away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

any idea what this cloud is? It's like. A long cigar over north Kerry.

@Meteorite58 did you see this over the northern coast this evening?

Had a feeling it was from a thunderstorm, here's the description....

Unfortunately west Corrk and parts of Kerry got a right drubbing after last evenings storms - major flash floods as per vids below

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The warm temperatures and high Dew Point along with subtle convergence will aid convection leading to some heavy showers in the afternoon especially in the Midlands, might give some thunderstorms but upper shear is slack so possibly short lived and isolated if they do occur.

No sferics showing up or reported, a narrow band of heavy rain all right.

• Advertisement

Didn't see that SouthWesterly but maybe like what Dazler97 posted above?

Fair bit of CAPE developing tomorrow in the Southern counties and Midlands, pronounced convergence zone along Southern counties from land and sea breeze, some heavy showers and thunderstorms possible, will see the charts later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Sorry I posted it before you got a chance to so I apologise meteorite58

Warnings already in place for tomorrow wouldn't be surprised if another 1 or 2 where added , going by models Kerry , Clare and Limerick could be added

• Advertisement

Good levels of sunshine getting up to the high teens and over 20C in places, DP's high in the South getting up to 16C so probably feeling humid there but aiding convection growth, decent deep layer and lower level Shear over the counties highlighted in the warnings and a pronounced convergence zone as can be seen in the map below, high THETA E readings so plenty of moisture in the atmosphere , PWAT of 22mm showing up in the soundings so heavy downpours are possible with spot flooding and if some convection grows enough hail is possible and with that kind of shear maybe some funnels or a tornado. ECM is showing the possibility of a few lively storms especially over Carlow, Killkenny, Waterford, South Tipp and Cork, Wexford might see some activity too. Some of those downpours could give some short lived blustery conditions.

17c already here on the SE coast,there'll probably be a convergence zone from west wicklow down through mount Leinster into west waterford?

As I thought,convergence zone getting going now ,advanced over the Wicklow mountains,which I can see from Arklow and stretching down to Mt Leinster in Carlow and west wexford,this will be interesting to see if and how it develops further ?

Yes getting going now, both AROME and ECM showing some big cells forming and possibly maturing through Waterford an its track through Cork, models showing heavy hail /rain a possibility, could be very active cells kept alive by the convergence zone and will see if daughter cells appear off them. Has the look of causing damage in some form either from lightning or hail or spot flooding and wouldn't rule out a tornado. Dazzler might be right in that it could quickly go Orange warning level. Storms could creep up into Limerick also and maybe the fringes of East Kerry.

I would think looking at kicking off in the next hour or so in Wexford /Carlow/ Killkenny or Waterford and spreading West through Southern Tipperary through Cork and into Limerick perhaps and maybe East Kerry.

Due west towards Carlow

So @Meteorite58 .. We in Carrigaline, co. cork. At mo sitting out back in lovely sunshine. Clothes out drying etc. When APPROX should we be pre-empting a move inside and bring the clothes in etc .. Dont want to get caught :D .. thanks

Towards the Wicklow mountains again,growing bigger as I type

These are all building and heading SSW into the warning area

Another

WRF showing similar track and very decent MUCAPE and decent ThetaW. The projected cloud map below showing the tell tale sign of large cells forming or super cell type scenario with the height showing well then the overspread of cirrus up top. Now that is a storm that could produce and carry over along distance if it forms as shown below. Will see if it materializes, an interesting days weather watching. Might be surprise to people too in the track of storms is the gusty winds coming out of them in the downdraughts, not Kansas but Irish style!

Could very well form inland a bit from the coast but might see some activity there around 4ish give or take. The sea breezes just might keep the storms that bit inland….that is of course if they form, always a degree of uncertainty with convection and thunderstorms but looks like a a fairly high chance I would think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement