Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its all optics for election season

I'd be very surprised if anyone gets deported

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Regarding your point on irish people needing housing too. That's fine. We can fix more than 1 problem at a time you know.

Regarding your point about what makes the Irish Irish? I'd have said it's that we're sound. Which an awful lot of people seem to be losing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2024/0515/1449419-asylum-applications/

30K expected this year…extremely close to what the government’s goal on housing completions is

This Influx isn’t going to slow down, so we’re only ever going to be treading water in our existing housing crisis, we’ll never catch up at this rate

At what point are all the people getting high off their own supposedly virtuous farts gonna take their heads out of their arses are wake the **** up?

It is not sustainable. We are never going to be capable of housing all these people. Is there no sense of reality here? Can guarantee most of the cheerleaders are all home owners sitting pretty - easy to act the virtuous one when there’s nothing to lose, meanwhile they prefer a bunch of randomers with no connection to the country over their nation’s youth when it comes to housing access. Despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Packrat

Theres a difference between being sound and being a fool.

But fools can rarely see it.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

i don’t understand why they don’t set up a task force to deal with this issue . Experts in logistics and people who know the problems and solutions . NOT NGO’s but a panel like they scrambled together when Covid threatened us .
    We dont need clueless TD’s and civil servants fumbling around with no experience of this kind of looming disaster

Nor do we need NGO’s with skin in the game playing their games

Come on for heavens sake get this done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Optics my dear boy. Optics.

As soon as they are re-elected which I’m starting to think they will it will be business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

We shouldn't be welcoming this, backslapping Harris or seeing Fine Gael rise in the polls like all is forgiven. Handing out the plaudits.

This is them doing the job they were entrusted to do. This is what should have been happening all along and **** right heads should roll for it.

It took international shame and tent cities for it to happen. They couldn't care less about the people that elected them.

McEntee should be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

They'll probably be put in a field somewhere until after the general election and as soon as that's over the big contracts will start up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hello2020

It's all about money n lucrative contracts for food n housing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Agreed, these policies are far from sufficient in as far as effective deterrence is concerned, they are marginally less accommodating than the considerably accommodating policies adopted previously by the Government, that is all; that said, expect those opposed to a firm, functional, asylum system to discuss these policies as if they were a radical development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It's meant to be the site of a badly needed new prison. You build a prison there, demolish Mountjoy and turn that into accommodation in a prime part of Dublin.

If the government wants a big field to lash a load of tents into why not Slane Castle or Strabdally. The owners don't mind the land being turned to **** every year for a concert, they might be happy to take a cushy payment from government for a new tent city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Aren't they literally the things that the anti-immigration lobby have been calling for? It shouldn't really matter who is behind them (not unless all of the talk from Gript and Niall Boylan and the others was just posturing and point scoring and not really about seeking change to the system at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

"It shouldn't matter who is behind them", yet you're quick to point out Wilders in the Dutch coalition's response to asylum seekers.

The virtuous will play the man when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sunjava

If any semblance luxury is provided the country will be flooded. It's an inevitability, if we provide they will come. It appears to be an impossibility to remove these people so they will become a permanent fixture, the influx needs to be reduced to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

The policies are superficial and relatively ineffective as individual policies, in Green policy terms, they are as effective as an additional cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Well we all know what kind of wine the advocates are going for anyway

”Can you believe those little imbeciles actually expect to get houses in their own country ahead of asylum seekers?? They’re all racist probably”

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

You're way off Furze. In 2022 alone, 237,000 non Irish gained pps numbers. Some are on work contracts etc and not permanent but the majority are staying around. Work visas, student visas, family reunification etc, there's lots of ways to get a foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

They just need to install a suitable Prime Minister who comes from outside the usual Dutch Political Establishment

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mykrodot

nothing they do between now and the election will get my vote. They have had years to do this but they preferred to call us all Far Right racists and laugh at our concerns. I simply do NOT believe this Government. Helen McEntee is tone deaf and beyond arrogant in how she sees the general public, O Gorman is never interviewed, never has to explain, never appears on TV, Harris has taken over as the smart PR guy because he talks the talk. That's it.

I won't change my mind on this, way too many chances have been wasted, way too many of us called racists. This is electioneering, pure and simple!. They have blown their chances! Trust has been broken and it will be very hard to win people back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But the one subset of people who can't get a PPS number are asylum seekers. 70,000 of these new PPS numbers went to Ukrainian people, 21,000 to Indian people, 16,000 to Brazilians, 12,000 to British etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They have blown their chances with you and with me too if truth be known, but unfortunately we have short political memories here Imv, who for instance would have believed Mr Martin a minister in a government who bankrupted the country would within a few short years assume the position of taoiseach (albeit half-taoiseach)... What are we like at all 🤔a country stuck in eternal adolescence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There are some posters in particular and their hearts don't really seem to be in it - Terrible arguments, rubbish stats/links etc

They reminded me of someone in a debating society that opens the envelope to read -

'You are to debate in the affirmative that Ireland is better with uncontrolled immigration'

And they think - 'Ah jaysus'

On to other things. It seems there's no problem with immigration according to the Montrosians. Report on CB radio this morning - 2 years of gaslighting which was an abject failure and they're still at it. It's frankly disturbing the level they went to today - It's like the Govt press secretary was in the editing suite helping to put the final edit together

They managed to put one dissenting voice on but with a heavy country accent and was difficult the hear properly

Listen at 1:34:30 - RTE…where truth, balance and impartiality go to die - And we have to pay these ***** to torture and abuse us this way!

There was a debate between Paul Treyvaud and some NGO head on the hard shoulder after 5pm today - Paul was not a happy puppy, spoke his mind and ripped into everything (our UKR friends included). Great speaker in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

I think the narrative lately has been a positive start. It finally seems to be sinking in that people aren't stupid, are not far right and are fairly pissed off.

However two things are not being acknowledged:

1. Cutting off the tap on a percentage of the Ukrainians before doing it for IP applicants risks having settled, somewhat integrated Ukrainians move out only to potentially have IP applicants take their place in the same accommodation.
    2. Is the category of individuals applying for asylum really important in the context of reported numbers applying for asylum? My thinking is family units applying for asylum is a much more accurate figure than single males\females applying as there may be a multiplier effect down the line if they are approved and their dependants are allowed to relocate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I completely ignore RTE. No point. In the pocket of the Government and all that support them.

Also heard that other debate on the hard shoulder. It was good to hear an opposing view instead of the usual bollox of build more houses for the doctors and engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

all they need do when it boils down to it is make housing somewhat affordable to people. We all know why it won’t happen. Too much capital to be lost in Hyde prices falling. There are just such deep rooted fundamental problems in the country that the political will just hasn’t been there to even attempt to solve for decades now. Immigration is now the easy target for everyone who’s disgruntled but the problems are just a symptom of the workings of the whole western world it seems to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Photobox

Great Post. Exactly how I feel. The government narrative now that was once 'far right' is infuriating. Funny how there is election coming up. Honestly they think the electorate are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Harris now starting to question the logic of the discussion being constantly around "accommodation" it's always about accommodating them. Keeping the conversation in this lane suits the NGOs and the compliant thoughtless media. He'll be rounded on for this because he's beginning to eeke out an opening to discussing the real problem. We're attracting too many liars (whether that is by design I'm still not comfortable on)

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/bizarre-focus-on-accommodation-for-asylum-seekers-harris-says-1626431.html

"We also have to discuss why are so many more people coming to our country, and discuss that in the round"

It's too late for this commentary Simon. The trust is broken. I personally couldn't trust that if reelected they'd go straight back to this destructive policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Advertisement